Tom Harrell on CBS in less than an hour

jazzbo

Yes, they are going to talk about his schizophrenia, but that is probably a good thing. (The more people understand of this illness the better in my opinion.)

At 7:00 pm Central time zone, probably adjust as you normally would if you are left or right of Central.

Quite a good piece, I thought - for the most part. Could have covered his music a touch more, but this was for a mainstream audience - so I'm not complaining.

A physician very familiar with Harrell's condition and situation called his success at being productive and creative, despite his condition, as being nothing short of "heroic". I'm sure I couldn't agree more.

I was impressed with this piece on several levels ... the amount of coverage given to Tom actually performing, including comments from a bandmate, and Charlie Rose's typically kind, yet incisive interviewing style. I'm also mightily impressed by Tom's wife, Angela.

When I used the word "brave" earlier, I meant that in the sense of heroic. What a pioneer is Tom Harrell.

Thanks for the heads up Lon. I would have missed it otherwise. I really enjoyed it, and it gave me some genuine insight into his condition. Now I'm even MORE amazed by him. After seeing him live a month or so ago, I wondered how much his condition affected him....quite a bit it seems. Simply amazing.

Tom Harrell is nothing short of a genius. Did you see the cartoon he drew when he was 6!!!! His music is pure and joyful.

I'm glad we got to catch it. I got the headsup from a thread on AAJ about a week ago and had forgotten to see if there was anything here til later than I would have liked to.

I think that Tom's current musical ability may come at the cost of a comfort level in that I believe that the state of medicine today may allow him to be less ill but that would likely sedate him into far less musical productivity. In that case he is very heroic to make that choice. And I know how lucky he is to have his wife Angela with him and behind him and I am sure doing so much for him.

This was an interesting piece.

I've always been floored that Harrell has been able to live with his illness and thrive artistically so CONSISTENTLY...no long absences from the scene, dry spells on record, etc. Remarkable, and I'm really bummed I missed this segment.