Duke Jordan

Rooster_Ties

I don't have a ton of Duke Jordan, but I just stumbled on an 'Inner City' LP that I didn't even realize I had...

d2538619581.jpg

How is this album??

I don't have a turntable (alas), but I see it's been released on CD by SteepleChase.

( In particular, how's Richard Williams' performance on this album?? )

Thanks!! :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

If you dig Richard Williams you might want his "New Horn in Town". I think (but am not sure), this is his sole date as a leader, it was done in 1960 for Candid with Leo Wright, Richard Wyands, Reggie Workman and Bobby Thomas. A very good record, indeed!

Other than that, he made some apperances with Mingus (Mingus Dynasty, Columbia 59) and Oliver Nelson/Eric Dolphy ("Screaming The Blues", Prestige '60), Slide Hampton (Exodus, recently reissued in the "Jazz in Paris" series), Max Roach ("It's Time", Impulse '62) and Booker Ervin ("The In Between", Blue Note 68).

ubu

Other than that, he made some apperances with Mingus (Mingus Dynasty, Columbia 59) and Oliver Nelson/Eric Dolphy ("Screaming The Blues", Prestige '60), Slide Hampton (Exodus, recently reissued in the "Jazz in Paris" series), Max Roach ("It's Time", Impulse '62) and Booker Ervin ("The In Between", Blue Note 68).

Don't forget the 1960 date, THE RAT RACE BLUES with Gigi Gryce. A great set which I was fortunately able to pick up on Lp this week.

Tom,

I gave this a listen last night and definitely recommend it. Not earthshattering but solid bebop by a bunch of pros. Rouse is very good, as usual, and Williams is fine as well. Jordan's compositions are good and his playing is up to its usual standards.

Go for it!

If you order directly from Steeplechase they may offer some discount in case you order 10 or more CDs. Mail them to find out. (Don't know, of course, whether your wallet allows - mine would not, these days, but I mailed them some time ago and remember they answered me something like this.)

Anyone who likes Duke Jordan should try to find "Flight to Jordan", Duke's sole Blue Note release, featuring the great line-up of Dizzy Reece, Stanley Turrentine, Reggie Workman and Art Taylor. The CD has 2 bonus tracks (not alternates) which are nice to have, too.

(on the subject of Richard Williams again: I got those Lateef discs and like them very much, as I do with "Cookin'"; don't have the Gryce, but it's on my wantlist...)

ubu

Edited by king ubu