Jazz-Influenced Electronic Music

Guy Berger

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about eai, lowercase, etc. or are you talking about Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Orchestra, or Chicago Underground, or Electric Masada, or, or, or, or jazz-rock-influenced electronic music, etc?

There is a wide range of music that I would consider jazz-influenced electronic, but SOME guidelines would be helpful. I know there are a few people on this board who have plenty of recommendations up there sleeve. Funny Ratters and Jon Abbey are especially knowledgeable. Everything I have heard in the veins mentioned above is interesting on some level.

One thing that I got recently, Rien by Noel Akchote, was recorded in 2000. Noel Akchote (guitar, sound effects); Erik Minkkinen (computer); Andrew Sharpley (samples, turntables). This might fit your description. Beautiful music, IMO.CD UNIVERSE via org.org

The Truffaz recommendation also made me think of Nils Petter Molvaer, who's put out some interesting releases on ECM, among other places. Worth a check!

You know, I have an album by Molvaer (Khmer), and while it's not bad, I would have liked something a little more "substantial".

I don't have a good sense of what EAI is so I can't say whether that's what I'm looking for. That said, I was thinking primarily of "techno" (broadly defined -- could include IDM, drum'n'bass, ambient, etc) w/jazz influences.

Guy

Edited by Guy

The Truffaz recommendation also made me think of Nils Petter Molvaer, who's put out some interesting releases on ECM, among other places. Worth a check!

You know, I have an album by Molvaer (Khmer), and while it's not bad, I would have liked something a little more "substantial".

I don't have a good sense of what EAI is so I can't say whether that's what I'm looking for. That said, I was thinking primarily of "techno" (broadly defined -- could include IDM, drum'n'bass, ambient, etc) w/jazz influences.

Guy

Have you listened to much from the Thirsty Ear Blue Series? Is this what you are looking for?

Have you listened to much from the Thirsty Ear Blue Series? Is this what you are looking for?

I haven't heard any of those. Any particular recommendations?

Guy

Matthew Shipp's releases on Thirsty Ear are all worth checking out. But for what you are looking for, I'd recommend "Harmony and Abyss", which sounds more like jazz-influenced electronica, whereas his other releases like "Nu Bop" and "Equilibrium" are more like electronica-influenced jazz. All three of them are excellent.

i noticed you mentioned autechre over in jim's house radio show thread. with them as a frame of reference, my recommendations are much warmer and organic than they are. without exception, each use real live acoustic instruments in their work...

fyi,

-e-

ps: if you're looking for something like autechre, check out monolake if you've not heard him...

260513L.jpg

Often better by what it suggests to be possible than what it actually delivers, but what it suggests is pretty damn intriguing... I've almost posted about it in the Recommendations forum, but DG no longer carries it, and I don't know of another reliable domestic (i.e. USA) source. But definitely worth searching for, if only to give you something to think about, like what's, maybe, hopefully, yet to come...

And have you checked out Mike Ladd? Negrophillia has got Thirsty Ear written all over it (and I mean that as a compliment), but Welcome To The Afterfuture is a "hip hop" album that feels a helluva lot more like jazz than it does anything else, at least to me.

And Ursula Rucker, although a "hip-hop poet", almost always has jazz-informed electonic music behind her. You can get into the words, get into the music, or get into both. Obviously, the last way is the way I'd recommend. ;)

i noticed you mentioned autechre over in jim's house radio show thread. with them as a frame of reference, my recommendations are much warmer and organic than they are.

Warm and organic is cool.... the music doesn't have to sound like a rusty metal compactor.

Thanks for the recs, guys. Hopefully I will be able to check some of this stuff out over the next few years.

Guy

Oh yeah - THIS motherfucker:

d3017008pd8.jpg

If you definition of "jazz" includes On The Corner, then by all means hop right in!

Also on the list for me would be groups like United Future Organization, Jazzanova (corny name, but some pretty involving music), & Kyoto Jazz Massive (ditto), although the latter tends more towards taking the whole "jazz/electonica" thing towards "dance music", if that's a problem. If not, there's some amazing confluences happening in the stuff of their's I've heard so far.

This stuff tends to wear off after a couple of listens I have learned. I used to listen to this kind of music quite a bit, but only a small number of things have stood the test of repeated listenings. Maybe that's not what it's there for, but ey. Anyhoo, Boards of Canada, ja ja, but snoozy snoozzz after not too long. On the other hand, Jazzanova has produced some very nice things and "In Between" is likely the best of the bunch.

B000062UT2.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Dutch group SfeQ has had some real nice efforts too, jazz with a bass clarinet and jungle house beat. Their best efforts are the SfeQ Utd. albums (Vols. 1 & 2) on Dox.

I haven't heard any of those. Any particular recommendations?

Guy

OK, I see based on other recommendations that this is more what you are interested in. Check out the Antipop Consortium release on Thirsty Ear.

More on the electronic-influenced jazz music side, I would recommend a Matthew Shipp album from the series featuring Khan Jamal called Equilibrium. I'm not a huge fan of Jamal, but there are a few tracks on there that kill.

Ninja Tune is probably the label you are looking for. Late 90s Amon Tobin, Jaga Jazzist, Skalpel, Kid Koala (for sure... cut/pasting trumpet solos together),

Maybe Squarepusher? I'm trying not to get too far away from jazz-influenced, but based on other recommendations...

If we are going into hip hop, we have to get into with J Dilla. There are plenty of instrumentals out there, and there are plenty with MCs as well, but this guy was seriously creative. I think hip hop is another thread though.

Guest the mommy

clem is right-most of the thirsty ear stuff sucks. shipp doesn't know what he is doing and his DJ does suck. it is too bad there isn't more music like this available so people could see that it can be done a lot better.

but if you want "techno-ey" perhaps you will enjoy the guillermo e. brown album, though it isn't very good, IMO.

and if you start exploring ninja tune, you will be 10 years ago. even the labels newer stuff is 10 years old, if you knwo what i mean. as is the sound of nils peter moover or whatever his name is and thievery corporation or erik truffaz or a lot of stuff being mentioned here.

one ninja tune group i used to be sweet one which perhaps you would enjoy is flanger. they also probably sound pretty dated, these days. but i have no idea.

http://www.ninjatune.net/ninja/artist.php?id=48

try this label-

http://www.runegrammofon.com

it is 21st century ECM. some boring stuff, but they are trying. but you like ECM. so this IS...ECM. seriously.