Jazz-Influenced Electronic Music

Guy Berger

ep1str0phy -- great reviews! (Are you a professional music writer?)

I didn't catch the Mu sample, although that album was another recent purchase for me (love the trumpet and flute cuts, less enthusiastic about the piano, especially with the distortion). There is also a brief flute interlude on one of the Weldon tracks, which I assume is sampled, but wonder from where.

The next Madlib release of interest would probably be The Funky Side of Life (Stones Throw, 05) by Sound Directions -- another disguised YNQ moniker -- although the "directions" lead into more jazz/funk/soul territory. I will give this another listen soon and post my thoughts. I have actually toyed with the idea of creating a blog exclusively for jazz/electronica/hip-hop hybrids.

And ep1str0phy, definitely spring for The Exchange Sessions, if you haven't already.

Edited by freeform83

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be on the lookout for The Exchange Sessions (I've definitely seen them around, so I'll try to pick them up). I read up on Reid's history--the whole spectrum of his achievements (from "Dancing in the Streets" to "Rhythmatism") feels like a piece. Whatever he's playing with Hebden, he's had it all of the way.

• 8 months later...

Up since I came across this thread after a search on Andrew Hill of all things....

I have vol. 2 of the Exchange Sessions. It's all right, but I have to say, I'm not too impressed with Steve Reid's drumming here. (This is the only thing I've heard from him.) (Okay, so maybe I've heard "Dancing in the Street".)

I do like Hebden's Four Tet record Everything Ecstatic, though--that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the first post.

Anybody heard the new Steve Reid record (with Hebden) Daxxar?

I haven't heard the record. However, my mate is now in his band, and I caught them on Saturday night - Reid, Hebden, Joe Rigby, a Senegalese percussionist named Mohammedou (introduced before the show, so didn't catch his surname: whatever - he was fantastic), Dominic Lash, and Boris Netsvetaev. An extraordinary show. Reid was completely inspirational, and drove the whole band like a man possessed. I can't imagine that the record catches anything of the power of the band, and I know they're touring it with a slightly different ensemble than recorded it, but I'd still be very interested to hear it.

Jessica Williams has been making electronic jazz albums for years. I have a bunch of cassettes I got from her over the years. The early ones were less sophisticated rhythmically speaking due to the hardware at the time. However as the equipment improved, so did her projects. She has one on her website for sale now. I don't own that one because I have so much of her electronic stuff including two volumes of her Miles tribute she put out on cassette before cds became her medium of choice. I can vouch for the performance/quality. She does all of her programming, creating most of the sounds she uses on the synths and she's very good at that sort of thing. Her drumming on the albums are very real sounding and they even swing, believe it or not. She uses triggers for both hands and feet which gives it a more nautural feel. It is jazz, it's just not made with acoustic intruments.

Her website is Jessicawilliams.com

You can listen to some of the songs on Virtual Miles and see for yourself.

Edited by six string

• 1 year later...

This stuff tends to wear off after a couple of listens I have learned. I used to listen to this kind of music quite a bit, but only a small number of things have stood the test of repeated listenings. Maybe that's not what it's there for, but ey. Anyhoo, Boards of Canada, ja ja, but snoozy snoozzz after not too long.

I've been listening to "in a beatiful place out in the country", "music has the right to children" and "geogaddi" daily for the past 18 months. When will the "snoozy snoozzz" set in? Well, who cares...

Hi couw! :rfr