Devilin Tune Vols 3 and 4

AllenLowe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother-ln-law shares Allen's last name so when the box arrived I was initially confused. He goes by his middle name, but when I saw the return address I thought "What the hell, I didn't think his first name was Allen." 1-2-3-4...duh, oh yeah, I ordered music for me me me! What can I say, I didn't expect the box to that big. ;)

I've played 5 discs of Vol 3 so far. This isn't some museum collection, this monster is alive! What a delight hearing Roy Rogers, Fred Astaire, and Bob Wills to name a few included alongside what is more easily filed under jazz. It's both good storytelling and (sorry to keep saying it, but) a great mixtape.

It also feeds the brain for other artists to explore in more depth. I include a piece of scratch paper inside of each set to keep notes, as there's so much in these cute lil' boxes that it's the only way I'll be able to keep track and remember. There are tracks that I'll need to play for friends who aren't even jazz fans too, such as "Pussy, Pussy, Pussy" which I first heard last night.

Terrific work Allen, hard work at that, and I look forward to playing on through the rest of the sets and then revisiting them. Box sets can sometimes fall by the wayside, but I don't think that will happen with these sets. There's so much there, and there's a terrific sense of flow on the discs. Thank you sir, these sets really are a blast!

:tup

thanks guys - is there any way I can get a copy of that german mag?

If a scan of the page is sufficient, I can e-mail you one. PM me your e-mail adress. If you want a printed copy, it would be € 5,80 plus postage. I should be able to get a copy - as a subscriber I get it before it hits the newsstands. PM as well. At your service.

BTW - do you still have copies of the first two volumes? I was low on cash when you first offered them here.

everything has been mailed - and my usual apologies for some lateness; the excuse du jour is a family emergency (very aged and sick in-laws) and 4 teeth that were pulled in the last two weeks with some nasty novocaine side effects (completely unexpected; the dentist had trouble numbing the area and had to give me quite a bit, and said "oh you might feel a little drowsy" - well, yes, if you call getting dizzy and passing out the next day 'drowsy,' she was right - and I was saved from a bathroom concussion by my wife catching me at 3 am! - didn't help that I had two gigs soon after on alto; strange thing was, I actually found it easier to play without my four bottom teeth) -

but enough of my Queen for a Day appeal -

just got an email from the distributor that there are 5 dented /unsealed boxes on the way of both Volume 3 and 4 (5 of each) - they know you guys like a bargain. The Boxes are intact, CD and booklets are fine - I can sell these for $32.50 each shipped if we do paypal - my paypal address is

alowe@maine.rr.com

shoot me an email at that address and they're yours - I should have them in hand by tomorrow -

Edited by AllenLowe

still have 4 boxes left - dented /unsealed of both Volume 3 and 4 - the Boxes are intact, CD and booklets are fine - I can sell these for $32.50 each shipped if we do paypal - my paypal address is

alowe@maine.rr.com

shoot me an email at that address and they're yours -

Edited by AllenLowe