AOTW December 17-23

Guy Berger

I forgot Glen Moore was in that band. He's great in a bass quartet with Peter Warren on Enja, Bass Is, that also features contributions from Surman, Corea and Stu Martin among others.

I was hoping Oregon would be a bit more psychedelically "open" than it actually was (at least to these ears), but maybe it's time for another listen.

I was hoping Oregon would be a bit more psychedelically "open" than it actually was (at least to these ears), but maybe it's time for another listen.

I sort of feel the same -- it would be a lot of fun if they cut loose a little more. As it is, the best parts of the album are when they get into those vamps and jam on top of them.

I picked up this album when I was starting to explore jazz back in college. I had discovered Shakti and was looking for similar music. I'm not familiar with any of Oregon's other music.

Guy

What I was hoping for in Oregon I got in an Italian ensemble called Aktuala. I don't know a whole lot about the characters participating in the group, but the vibe is a cross-pollination of Indian and North African music, modal atmospherics, and free improvisation. I have the first two LPs on Bla-Bla, which I believe were also reissued on CD (gonna pull a Clem and not look it up). The first is self-titled and the second is La Terra.

:tup

• 3 weeks later...

Icarus and Silence of a Candle are melodies for the ages. On the whole the album feels a little too "short and sweet", and the next three albums surpass this one for me. Distant Hills, Winter Light and In Concert explore the textures and melodies at greater length and are better for it. Towner's Diary and Solstice from the same time period are also favorites of mine. But I wouldn't want to be without this one.

I still remember how fascinated I was when I first heard this on the radio - pretty much at the same time as Towner's first ECM LP. I hunted for these LPs and got them from a mailorder shop in Munich. I listened to them lying on my bed with eyes closed, my mind wandering like through some 1001 Arabian Nights dreamland.

Towner later admitted that it was too much of a showoff displaying all of the many instrments they could handle - I'm with Randy that Winter Light and In Concert are more on point.

Nevertheless they were an important inspiration for the first band ever I played in - I will always remain grateful for that.

Edited by mikeweil

• 6 years later...

Icarus and Silence of a Candle are melodies for the ages. On the whole the album feels a little too "short and sweet", and the next three albums surpass this one for me. Distant Hills, Winter Light and In Concert explore the textures and melodies at greater length and are better for it. Towner's Diary and Solstice from the same time period are also favorites of mine. But I wouldn't want to be without this one.

I recently picked up Distant Hills and Winter Light, and am glad I did, these are wonderful albums. Highly recommended.