Peter King Quintet - from England

Peter Johnson

Just checked my collection and found that I have the following CDs with Peter King.

LEADER

Speed Trap - Jazz House

East 34th Street - Spotlite

SIDEMAN

Victor Feldman - In London, Vol.2 - Jasmine

Al Haig - Bebop Live - Spotlite

Philly Joe Jones - Mo' Joe - Black Lion

Tony Kinsey Quintet - How To Succeed In Business... - Vocalion

Tony Kinsey Big Band - Thames Suite - Spotlite

Joe Temperley - Concerto For Joe - Hep

Stan Tracey Octet - Portraits Plus - Blue Note

Perfect Pitch - Tippin' The Scales - Spotlite

Edited by Peter Friedman

• 5 years later...

Noticed that Dusty Groove is selling Spotlite CDs currently for $9.99. I tried to purchase their Peter King titles, and then got the dreaded "sold out" e-mail. They'll probably get them back in stock at some point, however.

I, too, first heard King on that Watts/Bird project. In fact, his playing is all I can remember from that recording (haven't heard it since circa 1992; it was my then-roommate's).

Noticed that Dusty Groove is selling Spotlite CDs currently for $9.99. I tried to purchase their Peter King titles, and then got the dreaded "sold out" e-mail. They'll probably get them back in stock at some point, however.

I, too, first heard King on that Watts/Bird project. In fact, his playing is all I can remember from that recording (haven't heard it since circa 1992; it was my then-roommate's).

You might get a good deal direct from Spotlite Records, they usually have some offers on the go. http://www.123webpages.co.uk/user/index.php?user=spotlite&pn=1. I've always found Tony Williams great to deal with.

He used to be a mainstay at the Appleby Festival - usually appearing in one (or several) of the multi horn jam sessions.

He's also a classical buff and has written at least one opera.

From his website (which doesn't seem to have been updated for a while):

Peter’s latest project is a full length two act opera, Zyklon, with the libretto by Julian Barry. A short workshop version was performed at the City University of New York on 13 Dec 2004 and received a standing ovation. There are now moves to get the work fully staged, in a full length version and two orchestral pieces from Zyklon were performed with a chamber orchestra at St John's Smith Square in London on 4 June 2005.

In 2005 Peter won the prestigious BBC “Musician of the Year” award and his quartet and quintet appeared at Jazz Festivals in Dubai, Ankara and Castellon. He also played a very successful “Bird with Strings” concert in Paris, featuring his own string transcriptions and some new original string arrangements.

In 2006 Peter was commissioned to compose a new Mass for Jazz Quintet and full cathedral choir which was premiered with great success at Newcastle Cathedral in May 2007. Negotiations are under way for him to compose similar works for both the “Evensong” and “Matins” services so that, for the first time, Jazz versions of all three services could be performed on the same day.

http://peterkingjazz.com/bio.html

51tiJ97GAFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A recommended 'crossover' disc, drawing off his love of Bartok.

I really like this more straight ahead disc:

51n93477zBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

as well as the one with Tracey that fent99 mentions above.

His autobiography has recently appeared:

519WNxztqML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Must get that!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I've seen King a few times (Bull's Head in Barnes, Barbican with a big band assembled by Guy Barker - can't remember if he also played as a guest with Wynton and the Lincolnians - and last year he opened for Roy Haynes at QEH, at the London Jazz Festival). He never disappoints, although I have the impression that he has respiratory problems.

Last year he published his autobiography to great acclaim for the story he tells and his honesty (haven't read it myself).

Not to be mistaken with Peter King, Ronnie Scott's co-founder. Incidentally, this Peter King did play on Ronnie's first night, age 19.

F

• 9 years later...