iPod 80 gig

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can put all 7000 of your discs in iTunes (although you will most likely need a 500 GB external hard drive), but will not be able to fit the majority on your iPod at one time. Rotating what you have on your iPod only takes a few minutes, however.

I thought it would take hours. Last year I bought a different MP3 player. It is 20 gigs and it takes a good 4 hours to upload 20 gigs. It is a piece of crap. I was working for the company, Olympus, and got a good discount, so I went with it. Not worth it. Olympus got out of the digital music busniess.

I have an 80 gig. The actual capacity is 74.3 GB (what the hell do they put in the OS that it takes up 5.7 GB???).

I have 2,895 songs (mostly from Mosaic sets), and 59.7 GB still available.

Hope that helps.

5.7 GB for the OS. Are you sure your's is not short a few gigs. The OS when I looked on line is a few hundred MBs.

You can put all 7000 of your discs in iTunes (although you will most likely need a 500 GB external hard drive), but will not be able to fit the majority on your iPod at one time. Rotating what you have on your iPod only takes a few minutes, however.

I thought it would take hours. Last year I bought a different MP3 player. It is 20 gigs and it takes a good 4 hours to upload 20 gigs. It is a piece of crap. I was working for the company, Olympus, and got a good discount, so I went with it. Not worth it. Olympus got out of the digital music busniess.

Updating the iPod is very fast - uploading 20 cds takes about a minute and a half. Too bad they dumped firewire - it's been a while since I used my old FireWire iPod, but I remember it being even faster.

I have an 80 gig. The actual capacity is 74.3 GB (what the hell do they put in the OS that it takes up 5.7 GB???).

I have 2,895 songs (mostly from Mosaic sets), and 59.7 GB still available.

Hope that helps.

5.7 GB for the OS. Are you sure your's is not short a few gigs. The OS when I looked on line is a few hundred MBs.

Right - they advertise the unformatted capacity (which is a little shady if you ask me, but everyone does it). Formatting the disc diminishes its capacity by a few percent.

No, that's not because of the OS (except for ca. 200 MB).

* 1,000,000,000 bytes or 109 bytes is the decimal definition used in telecommunications (such as network speeds) and most computer storage manufacturers (such as hard disks and flash drives). This usage is compatible with SI. Quotes from Seagate: "The storage industry standard is to display capacity in decimal"[1], and "One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity"[2], and similar quotes are found on the websites of other storage manufacturers.

* 1,073,741,824 bytes, equal to 10243, or 230 bytes. This is the definition used for computer memory sizes, and most often used in computer engineering, computer science, and most aspects of computer operating systems. The IEC recommends that this unit should instead be called a gibibyte (abbreviated GiB), as it conflicts with SI units used for bus speeds and the like. HP states that Microsoft normally adheres to this definition [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

Edited by rockefeller center

Rock - it's not because of the reason you posted either - the 80GB and 74.3GB are using the same definition of GB. It's just that Apple is advertising the unformatted capacity. You end up using a certain percentage of the harddisc to assign "addresses" to the data storage sites on the discs, boundary information, etc.

Rock - it's not because of the reason you posted either - the 80GB and 74.3GB are using the same definition of GB. It's just that Apple is advertising the unformatted capacity. You end up using a certain percentage of the harddisc to assign "addresses" to the data storage sites on the discs, boundary information, etc.

It's probably a combination of those factors (OS, filesystem, different definitions -> (80 * 10^9)/1024^3 = 74.505805969 GB). Attached is the screenshot of an 80 GB hard disk's properties in my system. Total disk space 74.5 GB. Ah, whatever. :party:

My recollection is the first big uploading of music took hours. But updating later on, in manual mode, didn't take very long for the few hundred songs that I might be deleting or adding. For each album I drag over, it loads on almost immediately.

I got the new 80GB video iPod. I've got about 42GB of music on it, about 6000 songs, most in 160kbps to 192kbps. Using USB2.0, it takes the better part of two hours to completely change the iPod's "insides." Is this normal? I mean of course changing (or syncing) just a few albums takes only a few seconds. The reason I ask because iTunes is a piece of crap and keeps freezing all the time, also messing up my iPod if it was in the middle of syncing. :angry: Mind you, my mp3's are stored on an external hard drive.

Also - what do you think of the battery life? I guess having better quality files takes more juice than Apple's standard 128kbps. Because I can get nowhere the numbers Apple says it should last.

I got the new 80GB video iPod. I've got about 42GB of music on it, about 6000 songs, most in 160kbps to 192kbps. Using USB2.0, it takes the better part of two hours to completely change the iPod's "insides." Is this normal? I mean of course changing (or syncing) just a few albums takes only a few seconds. The reason I ask because iTunes is a piece of crap and keeps freezing all the time, also messing up my iPod if it was in the middle of syncing. :angry: Mind you, my mp3's are stored on an external hard drive.

I have not had that issue, but then again I have all of my songs on the internal harddrive of a music-dedicated powerbook.

Also - what do you think of the battery life? I guess having better quality files takes more juice than Apple's standard 128kbps.

Unfortunately Apple has developed a reputation for exagerating its specs in recent years. However, it makes sense that higher-density files would go through more juics (more bps = more processing power = faster battery drainage). So it's probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

I got the new 80GB video iPod. I've got about 42GB of music on it, about 6000 songs, most in 160kbps to 192kbps. Using USB2.0, it takes the better part of two hours to completely change the iPod's "insides." Is this normal?

USB 2.0 transfer rates:

1,5 Mbit/s (Low Speed)

12 Mbit/s (Full Speed)

480 Mbit/s (High Speed)

Let's take the protocol overhead into account and two hours/42 GB with USB 2.0 High Speed seems like a normal rate.

I've used my itunes library is on a mapped, networked external drive. Other than needing to make sure I connect to the drive before opening itunes, I have had no problems. However, I will say that all the background stuff it does sometimes (determining gapless playback, getting album art) can really slow it down, and can make you think it is locked up.

Just to clarify -- my problems with iTunes weren't related to external drives. I just hate that program in general.

My MP3's are all organized in subdirectories - "Artist\Album\Song", where each song is preceded by its track number. My previous MP3 players (non-iPod) supported this type of organization quite well, no need to create "playlists", as everything was sorted by track number.

I'm probably just dense, but I could not figure out how to make iTunes deal with this. The last thing I wanted to do was create a playlist for hundreds of CDs I had already ripped. This was a couple of years ago, so maybe the program has changed since then.

I really like the idea of any portable music player showing up simply as a "removable device" under Windows, where I don't need any special software to copy files back and forth.

Since I can't do that with an iPod, EphPod is the next best thing. No need for playlists or "libraries", simply copy artist/album directories as needed.

But, back on topic: md655321 is right: 80GB is nice, but where's that terabyte ipod? :blink:

I used to have the opposite problem that you're having.

iTunes would organize everything into artist and album folders

while naming the files with disc and track numbers at the beginning,

so when I would drag songs off of my iTunes to somewhere else,

they always were preceded by it's track number.

Frustrating...until I discovered how to stop it in the Advanced/General pane.

As for playlists, There's no "need" to create them at all.

You can have a huge mish-mash of stuff in your central library

and play the whole thing randomly if you like,

but there are, literally, millions - actually billions -

of ways to sort your tunes if you ever choose to, so I don't understand what the problem is.

If you want to sort by track number, that's possible too.

If you want to hear track 1 of every disc you have loaded,

it's easy to do so, and so on...

That stuff that kinda slows things down a bit - gapless playback and cover art detection -

can be turned off easily if it really is a prob.

My iPod does show up as an external drive that's removable at any time.

Personally, instead of drag and drop onto the external drive,

I like the idea of D 'n' D onto iTunes, so I can actually put the tunes

just where I want them. If I've got some holiday tunes that I want to keep separate

from the others, I just make a "Holidays" playlist and D 'n' D onto it - works great!

If I want to send you guys a particular song, I just drag it off of my iTunes,

plop it on my desktop and FTP it to a site...so it works in both directions with incredible ease.

I think that it's one of the most user-friendly and intuitive bits of software of the past 6 years.

I wonder if any iPod experts here can clarify something for me. It seems that I can't delete a disc from my hard drive without it also being erased from my iPod the next time I plug it in. I thought maybe manually synching it would avoid this, but it didn't. I don't want to keep all of these albums on my hard drive; that's part of the reason I got the iPod. What am I doing wrong?