Finally, a WOODY SHAW thread...

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a hold (well, it’s on its way) of a very reasonably-priced copy of the Complete Columbia Albums set.  I have the Mosaic and the Stepping Stone reissue, but really wanted the extra live tracks from those same Vanguard dates that Stepping Stone draws on.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

Is BN known for selling CDRs?

Yes, through Amazon.  Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Slice-Top-Hank-Mobley/dp/B000005H1D/

On the page, it states:

This title is manufactured "on demand" when ordered from Amazon.com, using recordable media as authorized by the rights holder. Powered by CreateSpace, this on-demand program makes thousands of titles available that were previously unavailable. For reissued products, packaging may differ from original artwork. Amazon.com’s standard return policy will apply.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Yes, through Amazon.  Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Slice-Top-Hank-Mobley/dp/B000005H1D/

On the page, it states:

This title is manufactured "on demand" when ordered from Amazon.com, using recordable media as authorized by the rights holder. Powered by CreateSpace, this on-demand program makes thousands of titles available that were previously unavailable. For reissued products, packaging may differ from original artwork. Amazon.com’s standard return policy will apply.

Thanks. No such text on the Bensha Swing page. I will update this thread when I receive my order.

• 1 year later...

Random Woody Shaw question: which of his post Columbia records do people rate? I'd always stopped there, and had incorrectly assumed that he died shortly afterwards, but on browsing Wikipedia, I see that Shaw recorded numerous records after he left Columbia.

I am aware from the blog by @HutchFan that he rates the Enja record Lotus Garden. What about any others?

11 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Random Woody Shaw question: which of his post Columbia records do people rate? I'd always stopped there, and had incorrectly assumed that he died shortly afterwards, but on browsing Wikipedia, I see that Shaw recorded numerous records after he left Columbia.

I am aware from the blog by @HutchFan that he rates the Enja record Lotus Garden. What about any others?

Focusing on studio recordings -- along with Lotus Flower -- here's what I'd grab first:

• Woody Shaw with the Tone Jansa Quartet (Timeless)
  • Dr. Chi - with the Tone Jansa Quartet (Timeless)
  • Solid (Muse)
  • Imagination (Muse)
  • In My Own Sweet Way (In + Out) 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

In My Own Sweet Way (In + Out) 

In My Own Sweet Way is actually LIVE, but it's so incredibly well recorded -- you can be forgiven for not realizing and/or remembering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Own_Sweet_Way

And it's a BRILLIANT album too -- probably the single best thing Woody did after his run at Columbia (and equally as good as much of that Columbia run too) -- highest possible recommendation.  The trio behind him was a pickup group too, but they play like they'd been a unit for a few years (or at least some of the backing back was new to Woody that night iirc, or pretty close to it -- or one of the members was a last-minute sub, I forget the details).  Fantastic album!!

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Are they on a level with the Columbia stuff and earlier?

Yeah.

Well, to clarify: I think Shaw's pre-Columbia stuff on Muse (and Contemporary) is his MOST interesting music.  Blackstone Legacy, Moontrane, Love Dance, and all those.

I would put his post-Columbia recordings on equal footing with the music he recorded for Columbia.  Excellent.  But all of it a smidge below his work as a leader from 1970-76.

That's a strictly personal & un-objective evaluation, of course!  ;) 

16 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

In My Own Sweet Way is actually LIVE, but it's so incredibly well recorded -- you can be forgiven for not realizing and/or remembering.

Ooops!  

I think the first live one on Elektra/ Musician was exquisite. But next one was not 

Also, those last Muse records, good as they are on their own terms, were a little depressing. Just "soloist with rhythm section" records, and Woody looked more dissipated on every cover.

Details that came out posthumously confirmed why all this was happening, but even in real time, one could sense that things weren't what they had been just a few years ago.

• 3 months later...
On 15.3.2022 at 5:46 AM, mhatta said:

My favorite is Woody Shaw with Tone Jansa Quartet.  It has a slight, distinctive (eastern European?) flavor we can't find in any other Woody's works.  And Woody's trumpet shines as always.

yeah, wonderful record, but the most terrible and erratic circumstances when it was done at Max Bolleman´s studio in Netherlands...

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

yeah, wonderful record, but the most terrible and erratic circumstances when it was done at Max Bolleman´s studio in Netherlands...

Can you elaborate?  BTW, I like one of the Tone Jansa dates better than the other one — but I always forget which is which. (One’s great! - the other, just good.)

48 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Can you elaborate?  BTW, I like one of the Tone Jansa dates better than the other one — but I always forget which is which. (One’s great! - the other, just good.)

In my books "Dr. Chi" from 1989 is much stronger .... still the other Timelss platter aka "Woody Shaw with the Tone Jansa Quartet" from 1985 is good at least....

Edited by soulpope

13 minutes ago, soulpope said:

In my books "Dr. Chi" from 1989 istmuch stronger .... still the other Timelss platter aka "Woody Shaw with the Tone Jansa Quartet" from 1985 is good at least....

Yeah, same here… I just looked — I have a big, ever-changing pile of discs I’m always contemplating getting rid of (to listen to a few times first) — and I have the “WS w/ the TJQ” disc in that pile currently.

Doesn’t mean anything — I think I’ve put it in that pile (and taken it back out again) a dozen times in the last 10 years — but haven’t actually gotten rid of it yet!

On the other hand, “Dr. Chi” has never been in that pile, or not for long!! (Like I said, I always confuse them, so I’ve probably played that game of trying to re-figure out which one is the one I might get rid of someday, maybe^_^