Finally, a WOODY SHAW thread...

Rooster_Ties

9 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, same here… I just looked — I have a big, ever-changing pile of discs I’m always contemplating getting rid of (to listen to a few times first) — and I have the “WS w/ the TJQ” disc in that pile currently.

Doesn’t mean anything — I think I’ve put it in that pile (and taken it back out again) a dozen times in the last 10 years — but haven’t actually gotten rid of it yet!

On the other hand, “Dr. Chi” has never been in that pile, or not for long!! (Like I said, I always confuse them, so I’ve probably played that game of trying to re-figure out which one is the one I might get rid of someday, maybe^_^

Although recorded recorded with a gap of one year (and using different drummers) I see both a complementary platters ....

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Although recorded recorded with a gap of one year (and using different drummers) I see both a complementary platters ....

Yes, definitely. Hard not to, especially with the same leader (or co-leader maybe, would be more accurate).

I have gotten rid of a small handful of Woody dates over the years (half a dozen or so, practically all sideman appearances) — but not many!!

Far as I’m concerned, upwards of 80%-85% of everything he recorded is well worth having ready (physical) access to.

(Same with Andrew Hill and Joe Henderson, imho.)

18 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Can you elaborate?  BTW, I like one of the Tone Jansa dates better than the other one — but I always forget which is which. (One’s great! - the other, just good.)

Woody Shaw was uncooperativ from the first moment on. First he had an argument with studio owner and producer Max Bolleman, calling him a racist without any reason. Then he played for several times into dead mikes, not the mike placed in front of him. He threw his cigarette ends on the floor or damped them out on the studio ceiling, he was with a completly stoned junkey woman who threw all the toalet paper into the toalet "out of fun" and soon the studio room was flooded......

Bolleman stated that it was almost a miracle that they could produce music under those circumstances. 

Two years later I saw Woody live under similar circumstances. He drank dozens of those small bottles of Underberg, threw his cigarette endes on the stage so we were afraid that he might set it on fire with all those cables for the mikes and amps around...., 

I was shocked since I saw Woody earlier in the 80s and he was not only one of the greatest trumpetists ever but also a very articulate person, takin care of business, kind to the audience etc.....