Your 10 (or 5, or 3) favorite ECM albums

mandrill

There is so much talk about Blue Note albums on this forum, yet ECM albums barely ever mentioned.

Yet there is so much quality & variety in ECM catalog that everyone familiar with it sure has its favorites.

Lets make your recommendations for those who have yet to discover the gems of Manfred Eicher creation.

Here is my current top 10 list in no particular order:

Ralph Towner- Solstice

Jan Garbarek- Afric Pepperbird

AEC- Urban Bushmen

Keith Jarrett- Solo Concerts

Jarrett-Peacock-DeJonette- Whisper Not

Eleni Karaindrou- Music For Films

Benni Maupin- The Jewel in The Lotus

Kenny Wheeler- Music for large and small ensembles

Steve Reich- Music for 18 musicians

Paul Motian- Dance

And ah, those famous ECM sleeves- Sleeves of Desire. There are a few, in all their eye-catching splendor, courtesy of Walmart :)

0004228254582_500X500.jpg

0004228434752_500X500.jpg

0004228293942_500X500.jpg

0004228476092_500X500.jpg

0004228431522_500X500.jpg

0004228214172_500X500.jpg

Edited by Mandrill

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head:

Dave Liebman 'Lookout Farm'

Julian Priester 'Love, Love' and 'Polarization'

Trio Beyond 'Saudades'

Kenny Wheeler 'Music For Large and Small Ensemble' (2LP)

Azimuth 'Azimuth '85'

Kenny Wheeler 'Deer Wan'

Dave Holland 'Extensions'

Bennie Maupin 'Jewel In The Lotus'

John Surman 'The Amazing Adventures of Simon Simon'

Keith Jarrett 'Hymn Spheres' (2LP)

I just remembered that my favorite ECM is actually a Japo. Oh well.

David Holland - Conference of the Birds

Just Music - Just Music

David Holland & Barre Phillips - Music from Two Basses

Jan Garbarek - Afric Pepperbird

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

Circle - Paris Concert

I havent heard Dauner's Output, but I'll bet it's a doozy.

Paul Motian's Conception Vessel is also pretty good, with a rare appearance by flutist Becky Friend.

HOW MANY TIMES MORE SOPHISTICATED HOW MUCH MORE BETTER THAN US DO YOU THINK YOU ARE CASUE U LISTEN TO THESE MEANDERING, POINTLESS ECM RECORDS? 10, 5, or 3?

Isn't it all about personal enjoyment?

Anyroad, here are mine:

In no particular order,

Keith Jarret My Song

Tord Gustavsen The Ground

Tomasz Stanko Litania

" " " " Leosia

Bobo Stenson Serenity

Charles Lloyd The Water Is Wide

John Taylor Rosslyn

Marcin Wasilewski Trio

Kenny Wheeler Deer Wan

Peter Erskine Juni

but it could all change tomorrow, as with any jazz/label/genre...that's the beauty of it!

That was actually a thread about Caspar David Friedrich disguised as ECM thread.

Be that as it may , there are some ECM recommendations/favorites in that thread .

I'm still pretty sure there's been at least one other thread about ECM recommendations (I picked a bad week to stop taking hallucinogens), with some very good recommendations in it already.

Quite right . Here are some other ECM threads :

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=25537&hl=

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=20255&hl=

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=16626&hl=

aggie, stop busting the poor persons balls! it ain't a big deal.

FWIW , I don't view talking about other similar threads or linking to them as an implicit criticism of the thread starter . Just trying to be helpful .

CHEWY HAS DECIDED TO TRADE IN ALL HIS ECM LPS TMW. AND PICK UP SOME WEST COAST JAZZ OR SUN RA OR GARY BARTZ INSTEAD. U DONT KNOW HOW SERIOUS I AM. THE ONLY ONE IM KEEPING IS THE KOLN CONCERT CAUSE IT HAS AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT OF SOUL. BUT IVE COME TO THE REALISIATION THAT CHICK COREAS A PHONY. HE IS A COMPLETE FRAUD. I WILL BE HAPPY WHEN HIS RECORDS ARE OUT OF MY COLLECTION.

IT ISNT THAT ECM IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, ITS ALSO THE PEOPLE WHO ASSOCIATE WITH THE LABEL. IT HAS THIS "AURA" AROUND IT WHICH IT WHICH SICKENS ME TO THE CORE.

I'm still pretty sure there's been at least one other thread about ECM recommendations (I picked a bad week to stop taking hallucinogens), with some very good recommendations in it already.

Quite right . Here are some other ECM threads :

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=25537&hl=

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=20255&hl=

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=16626&hl=

aggie, stop busting the poor persons balls! it ain't a big deal.

FWIW , I don't view talking about other similar threads or linking to them as an implicit criticism of the thread starter . Just trying to be helpful .

Thanks Chas. Trying to avoid duplication of threads, which makes it all the more difficult to find things later on. No criticism intended. Thanks for posting the other links as well.

Edited by Aggie87

Keith Jarrett: My Song, Koln (many others too!)

Pat Metheny: As Falls Witchita...

Richie Beirach: Elm

Dave Liebman: Lookout Farm

Charlie Haden: Ballad for the Fallen

too early in the a.m. to think of titles, but various discs by Charles Lloyd, John Surman, Methany, etc.

Oh and Chewy: fuck off!

CHEWY HAS DECIDED TO TRADE IN ALL HIS ECM LPS TMW. AND PICK UP SOME WEST COAST JAZZ OR SUN RA OR GARY BARTZ INSTEAD. U DONT KNOW HOW SERIOUS I AM. THE ONLY ONE IM KEEPING IS THE KOLN CONCERT CAUSE IT HAS AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT OF SOUL. BUT IVE COME TO THE REALISIATION THAT CHICK COREAS A PHONY. HE IS A COMPLETE FRAUD. I WILL BE HAPPY WHEN HIS RECORDS ARE OUT OF MY COLLECTION.

IT ISNT THAT ECM IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, ITS ALSO THE PEOPLE WHO ASSOCIATE WITH THE LABEL. IT HAS THIS "AURA" AROUND IT WHICH IT WHICH SICKENS ME TO THE CORE.

I know this is just chewy-ness, but firstly, what do you mean by people who associate with the label? I can see what you mean by the "aura" of ECM-ness, but with a lot of the early releases, that isn't present, and I find many of the first 30 or so releases highly enjoyable, some of them even sounding rather "raw."

As for Corea, he's fine up until about '72.

Here's one that meets John's Ed Blackwell requirement:

Dewey Redman: The Struggle Continues

Why this masterpiece has yet to see the light of day on CD is a mystery. Actually, Dewey and Charles Eubanks told me Eicher was unhappy with it, partially because the piano kept going in and out of tune. Whose fault is that?

Bertrand.

fuck Chick-- he's "fine" but hardly necessary, ever, tho' sure, if Braxton died in a plane crash in '71 then the Circle set even more (+ associated, hotter live recordings).

fuck Jarrett, generally, too, tho' I used to hear stories abt older dudes who got laid in hippie college bc they had the Sun Bear Concerts box & whatever, hah... tantra!

i go in & out w/ECM-- all respect for the label in general-- only shit i actually KEEP

Conf of Birds

Mal Waldron

Joe Maneri

AEOC & related Nessa ripoff sides

i do like the out Bley sides but don't miss having 'em

there are some essential ECM new series #s, esp. the recordings by pianist Herbert Henck, violinist Thomas Zehetmair, they're Kurtag series, the Demenga Bach cello suites + modern stuff, the recent Gidon Kremer Bach...

verdict: more west coast but Gary Bartz, eh... yr better off w/early wooldy Jan Garbarek or something. ALL Abercrombie drives me batshit at this point, tho' i don't deny the guy's (twee-tone) artistry.

c

Yeah, I'd rather have Bley than Chick and Jarrett combined, but in recent years I've surprised myself with actually digging not only his playing on the Circle recs (ECM, BN and Sony/CBS) but also the Solid State sessions. Is, especially. Of course, it's mostly because of who he's got in the band lifting him up... Jarrett's Vortex records are solid, but I haven't gone any further than that, really.

Yeah, the Waldron's nice... though I find it hard to differentiate between a number of those late 60s/early 70s Waldron trios. All groovy, but you could probably swap out the ECM for the Futura for the Victor and not notice much of a difference.

Not much for the Maneri scene myself, though I do like that Paniots Nine disc.