Charles Tolliver Big Band - "With Love" (due Jan. 16th)

Rooster_Ties

Interestingly, the Mosaic name/logo also appears on the cover of this one (along with the BN logo)...

B000LC5BJ2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50065161_.jpg

Also up on the Bluenote site (HERE), with the following description...

Album Info

Trumpeter Charles Tolliver has yet to receive the recognition he deserves. After over 20 years of recording as a sideman on many classic Blue Note sessions (Jackie McLean’s Action!, It’s Time, and Jackknife; Andrew Hill’s One for One and Dance with Death; and Horace Silver’s Serenade to a Soul Sister), Tolliver makes his Blue Note Records debut as a leader on With Love, a superb document of his fiery big band, presenting his extraordinary charts and distinctive trumpet playing.

For the occasion, Tolliver recruited a pan-generational lineup of home-run hitter soloists, including pianists Stanley Cowell and Robert Glasper; saxophonists Billy Harper(!), Craig Handy, and Howard Johnson; trumpeter Keyon Harrold; a cohort of A-list section men; and bassist Cecil McBee and drummer Victor Lewis, all of whom draw on all their resources to articulate Tolliver’s vision with a bravura performance. Blue Note proudly welcomes this legendary trumpeter to its roster of the finest in jazz since 1939.

Track Listing

1 Rejoicin'

2 With Love

3 'Round Midnight

4 Mournin' Variations

5 Right Now

6 Suspicion

7 Hit The Spot

Amazon listing, with soundclips :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of the Tolliver (and Burrell) dates, I'm not real impressed with Blue Note's "Studio Update":

Jacky Terrasson

Kenny Burrell

Ramsey Lewis

Al Green

Suzanne Vega

Jeff Golub

Jeff Lorber

Euge Groove

Acoustic Alchemy

I didn't realize Blue Note now includes Narada Jazz smooth stuff. That's the "finest in jazz since 1939"?? :huh::(

edit - and the Burrell is a live recording, so it's technically not even part of the studio update.

Edited by Aggie87

I do, Jim--in fact, that's exactly what I had in mind--it's on the brain, as I just watched "A Shot in the Dark" last night (the theme is the song used for that, uhm, "interesting" Canadian "where's the scarf" stage show that was posted up here a while back) and the samples on the Tolliver record contain some very Mancini-esque voicings.

Or maybe I'm just hearing things... :unsure:

...an Oliver Nelson/Henry Mancini hybrid...

Surely you remember all those Black Panther cartoons...

Whazz up with that Mosaic logo though anyway!

That was my first reaction as well. Is Mosaic entering the recording/production business?

yes.

The liner notes to the Tolliver Mosaic Select had indicated that it was the beginning of several joint projects between Mosaic and Strata-East. So I guess maybe Tolliver's contract is with Mosaic, reverse=leased to Blue Note, or whatever. Hopefully will also include some of the missing 70's Strata-East albums, though I know that's been discussed here before and Chuck says the Strata-East situation on a lot of the albums is so bad it will never get worked out. BTW, does anyone have an update on Clifford Jordan - In The World being reissued by a Japanese label (Canyon Pony or something like that) soon? And the other Strata-East sets I long for on CD, Sonny Fortune - Long Before Our Mothers Cried, Charles Sullivan - Genesis, Ron Burton - The Waterbearers, Shirley Scott - One for Me.

Thought I'd take a moment to clear up a few things and add my two cents....

I have to admit that the cover was a bit of a shock to me when I first saw it, I thought they would go with a more classic Blue Note look.

Don't have much to add about the Mosaic/Blue Note thing except to perhaps suggest that kind folks at Mosaic had a lot to do with getting the ball rolling on this project.

For more complete clips (and a video clip of us at the Pori Jazz Festival in July 2004......sorry about the sound) of the record go to Charles' MySpace page. Sorry there are no clips of Billy Harper's solo on Mourning Variations, it's killing.

http://www.myspace.com/charlestolliverbigband

I don't think all this has much to do with the Mosaic/Strata-East thing mentioned in the Mosaic booklet. As I've mentioned before, a lot of the titles have reverted back to the artists so it's on them to release their CDs. I think all of these that are mentioned above "Sonny Fortune - Long Before Our Mothers Cried, Charles Sullivan - Genesis, Ron Burton - The Waterbearers, Shirley Scott - One for Me. " have reverted back to the artists. That said, there are still enough things left in the catalog to make another interesting box set or two.

We'll be at IAJE January 13 and the CD release party will be at the Jazz Standard January 30- February 3.

Enjoy!

Whazz up with that Mosaic logo though anyway!

That was my first reaction as well. Is Mosaic entering the recording/production business?

yes.

The liner notes to the Tolliver Mosaic Select had indicated that it was the beginning of several joint projects between Mosaic and Strata-East. So I guess maybe Tolliver's contract is with Mosaic, reverse=leased to Blue Note, or whatever.

Thanks for mentioning the notes in the Tolliver Select. I haven't bought that one yet. I bristle because I have all but the unreleased material on lp and on cd and I don't want to have to buy it . . .again!

Thanks for mentioning the notes in the Tolliver Select. I haven't bought that one yet. I bristle because I have all but the unreleased material on lp and on cd and I don't want to have to buy it . . .again!

Lon, buy it for the remastering and the unreleased stuff (which is substantial, about two albums worth), and sell your old stuff on ebay, which will pay for the new set. It's well worth the effort.