BFT #42 CD 1 - Answers

Mr. Bassman

My dear friends of good music,

at first I must apologize for the big delay to publish the answers, but there were some obstacles... on the one hand there were those nice trips to Turkey (with mikeweil), and, on the other hand, my father-in-law died at Dec. 5th. I hope, you can understand, that there was not much time and space for the forum in the last few days. But now..... i want to start.

At first, i will put a short track-list and then i will complete them with the dates, musicians etc. and the special and personal infos. Risk an eye from time to time :)

Here is disc 1 (I will add disc2 later in the evening):

The theme of this BFT:

Actually, noone tried for a guess about a certain theme of this BFT. Well, it was not that easy, and, it is not a 100% for all the tunes. My "overall"-theme was "Fun/humour in music" with a strong relation to the bass. And there was a special theme on CD 2.... but this is unveiled there. I will give a personal statement to every tune, i hope this is not boring...

#1:

"The bass is the base"

John Tchicai (voice) & Vitold Rek (double-bass) (leader names for the list)

From the CD "Satisfaction" by enja records CD 7033-2. Recorded in 1991 and published 1992

Well, every BFT needs a good opener. I haven't found a better one. And the fun-factor is on the level, isn't it ? The little poem says it all, and Vitold Rek, whom I met personally, is a fine bass-player. Some years ago in 1990/92 he "replaces" me during a band-project with the two guys I'm normally playing with and they made a CD (which is not in Vitold's discography on his site) in that time. I had moved to another town and couldn't take part in those days. Later he quitted in case of the "gig-problem" of this project and i had to return to my old place, so i moved back home. If anyone has a chance to listen to him in a concert, i will encourage you, to visit this. He is a fine person, too.

Here is a link to the enja-disc i used for the BFT: http://www.jazzpages.com/VitoldRek/tchicai.html. and some reviews here:

http://www.jazzpages.com/VitoldRek/reviews.html

#2:

"Everything I've got"

Chris Connor (voc) (leader name for the CD) , Oscar Pettyford (double-bass & note-flubber), Ralph Sharon (piano), Osie Johnson (drums), Eddie Costa (vibes), Joe Wilder (trumpet), Al Cohn sax

From the CD-"sampler" "A jazz date with Chris Connor" and "Chris Craft". It is an Atlantic release and contains both ex-LP's with the number Atlantic R2 71747 released in 1994. The original recording date was during 1956.

I can imagine, that you all have recognized the fun-factor in this tune. Originally i drafted this one as an opener, but things always change. But a fine tune for track#2! Chris is a fine singer, and this word means someting, because i'm not very involved to singers in Jazz. I am (eh... was) a typical voice-ignorant and then mikeweil introduced me to this Lady. I was very surprised and my ignorance was melting away. Then i discovered this special song, where Oscar flubbed a note (you can hear this on the record....) and... Chris took this rare "event" as a chance (in my opinion...) and changed the songtext immediately. Okay, they could have planned that, but my choosen story is more charming. I like this kind of fun or humour in music and it is very rare, sadly.

#3:

"In the mood" written by Joe Garland

Upper Austrian Jazz Orchestra (leader name)

Arranger and conductor: Michael Gibbs, soloists: Primus Sitter (git) and Gerd Rahstorfer (trumpet)

line-up:

trumpet section: Rudolf Pilz, Gerd Rahstorfer, Andy Pranzl, Manfred Weinberger

trombone section: Dominik Stöger, Robert Bachner, Christian Kastenhuber, Karl Wagner

Reed section: Robert Friedel, Franz Bachner, Christian Maurer, Christian Bachner, Andreas See

Rhythm section: Primus Sitter (guitar) / Helmar Hill (piano) / Wayne Darling (bass) as a guest, Uwe Urbanowski is the regular bass-player / Alfred Vollbauer (drums)

It was a live recording on August 1st 2005 at Kremsmünster. It is published by ATS records in Austria.

From the CD: "The UAJO presents 101 years Glenn Miller". ATS-Records CD-0593 It is take no. 9

The original arrangement of this was done by Gil Evans and MG adapted it to the band!

This tune is something special for me, i had to listen to the Glenn Miller-Version before my birthday! My mother loves Glenn Miller and it was my first contact to Jazz (as i can remember), the LP still exists. "In the mood" was (and still is) one of her fav. jazz-tunes and she always gets that "shine" in the eyes (well, she is 82 ) while listening to this peace of music (Okay, she likes the Glenn-Miller-thing more).

When we, mikeweil and me, stayed at Vienna and checked the "Extraplatte", a famous Vienna Jazz-Music-Store and distributor, i found this one and remembered, that i had read a notice to this record. I take a short listening in the store and the deal was perfect. I like to say ... if Glenn Miller, then like this one (haha)! And, for the fun-factor, Gil Evans made the original arrangement, and... he never performed it (...okay, i hadn't found anything about that arrangement). I thought, it would be fun to listen to this old "battle-horse" in this modern way. I can recommend the whole CD for the "Glenn-Millered"-people, on some tunes the singer Alberta "Ali" Gaggl joins the band.

#4:

"Low blow"

Jay Anderson (double-bass) Roger Rosenberg (bariton-sax)

From the CD "Factory town" by advantage music (It is a sampler-CD). This was made with high-end fidelity-equipment. I anyone is interested in this, i will post some more :)

#5:

"Bop dance"

Aladar Pege (double-bass), Charly Antolini (drums), Andy Scherrer (tenor-sax), Rudi Wilfer (piano)

two sources: original CD(LP): "Bop dance" Charly Antolini Jazz Power bell records and "bassissimo - Basspower" a sampler from bell records... for some reasons i choosed the bassissimo--- hehe, here at organissimo :D

#6:

"kurdish dance"

Yosuke Yamashita (Piano) (leader name), tbc.

From the CD "Kurdish dance", tbc.

#7:

"Mirage à trois"

Karoline Höfler (double-bass) (leader name), tbc.

From the CD "Charly Haigl's festival band", tbc.

#8:

"Quotation"

Isla Eckinger (not on bass this time! trombone and vibraphone!) (leader name),

Alain du Bois (double-bass), Andy Scherrer (tenorsax), Henry Chaix (piano), Peter Schmidll (guitar).

From the CD "Hot mallet" . It was recorded in December 1982 and originally published 1983 (LP) by bell records. The number is BLR 84 030. My CD must be a sort of reissue, because is has a copyright sign with the date of 1992.

This tune is a real fun tune... for the musicians and the listeners. I hope, you can hear this, too. Isla is normally known as a bass-player, but he learned some other instruments, too. He plays trombone and vibraphone... you can hear both instruments in this tune. And they enjoyed playing this title, can you feel this? And i thought this tune is fine for the BFT with bass-players, who don't play bass. Fun ??? Yeah!

#9:

"Spring song"

composer's voice (leader name, it's a working band): tbc

From the CD "wabi sabi", tbc

#10:

"Winter ade"

Dieter Ilg (double-bass) (leader name), Wolfgang Muthspiel (violin & Guitar) steve arguelles (drums)

From the CD "fieldwork" tbc.

#11:

"Running children"

David Friesen (bass), Uwe Kropinski (acoustic-guitar)(both are for the leader name)

no additional percussionist

From The CD "made in Berlin"

#12:

"Du kannst nicht immer 17 sein" (= german "schlagermusik" from Ralph Siegel)

Daerr Trio, tbc.

From the CD "Germany douze points" tbc

#13:

"Glenn the space"

Henri Texier / Azur Quintett (leader name)

From the CD "Strings' spirit"

#14:

"Elohopea" (name of the track, it is track 1)

Nuijamiehet (finnish musicians) (leader name and title of the disc)

the groups personal-list:

Mikko Innmanen: sopran, alto and baritone saxes

Kalle Kalima: electric and acoustic guitar

Lasse Lindgren: acoustic bass guitar

Mika Kallio: drums

From the CD "Nuijahiemet" It was recorded in 1999, mixed and published in 2000 by fiasko records FRCD 2

This was choosen because, there was not very much finnish jazz-music in the BFTs and, for the fun-factor, there is a funny story with this CD. I start with a simple question: Where in the world can you jump on CD's you will never see in a normal CD-shop ? right... ebay! This CD i found strolling around through the jazz-CD in ebay some time ago. And you often find CD's for 1 € as starting price. Sometimes i give them a chance and... nobody was betting against me. So I got this CD for 1€ plus postage and, surprise, i like the music! Well, it is not a "giant step" one, but an interesting work. Sometimes you can find (i say it clearly "can"... not must) with this special ebay-technique an interesting CD. I had never heard anything of this group or recording at all, but now they have a well-known place in my collection and from time to time i pick it and surprise my guests. So you can see, there is some fun in this, too.

#15:

"her kommer pippi langstrømpe"

Niel Henning Ørsted Pederson (double-bass)

tbc

Edited by Mr. Bassman

on the other hand, my father-in-law died at Dec. 5th. #4:

Sorry to hear this, Mr B. But have a good Christmas anyway.

"Low blow"

Jay Anderson (double-bass) Roger Rosenberg (bariton-sax)

From the CD "Factory town" by advantage music (It is a sampler-CD). This was made with high-end fidelity-equipment. I anyone is interested in this, i will post some more :)

This one interests me quite a bit. More info, please, in due course, Mr B.

#13:

"Glenn the space"

Henri Texier / Azur Quintett

From the CD "Strings' spirit"

Aha! I've been wondering about Texier recently, and in particular, why he always has African sleeves. More info awaited anxiously.

MG

#4:

"Low blow"

Jay Anderson (double-bass) Roger Rosenberg (baritone-sax)

Roger Rosenberg! I know him from Mongo Santamaria's band,who called him the best baritone saxist he ever had. Played in a much more energetic style there, though.

Curious about that one, too!

Some very nice surprises here: NHÖP playing the Pippi Langstromp theme! :g

thanks for that set of discs ! Was fun to listen and guess

From the CD "Hot mallet" . It was recorded in December 1982 and originally published 1983 (LP) by bell records. The number is BLR 84 030. My CD must be a sort of reissue, because is has a copyright sign with the date of 1992.

it a re-issue of the Jeton 125/1 Cd that came out in 1985. Bell has taken over the vault of jeton after they went out of business. The Jeton CD is a japanese manufactured one and still sounding great compared to other "HighEnd" stuff.

Cheers, Oliver

• 5 weeks later...

#12:

"Du kannst nicht immer 17 sein" (= german "schlagermusik" from Ralph Siegel)

Daerr Trio, tbc.

From the CD "Germany douze points" tbc

The surprise factor in this is probably not conceivable for a non-German: Usually German jazz enthusiasts and musicians alike wouldn't hear nothing about Schlager (German pop songs, which are of the ultra-bland variety in 99% of the cases), but here a young piano trio goes ahead and does a whole CD of pieces all composed by Ralph Siegel, the utmost Schlager composer over here, as a celebration of his 60th birthday, and arranges them in a most entertaining and versatile way. Mr. Bassman brought this one on his last visit, and I sat on the edge of the couch asking myself "where did I hear this f+*'#!& tune?!" I have a lot of respect for these three guys, as they really make it work. Congrats!

9050868.jpg

Carsten Daerr (Piano), Henning Sieverts (Bass, Cello) Bastian Jütte (Drums)