Old and New Dreams

Guy Berger

I have three of this group's albums -- the two Black Saints and the self-titled ECM. I have to admit I find them somewhat disappointing. I like the ECM the best -- it has the terrific cover of "Lonely Woman", along with two fantastic originals ("Togo" and "Guinea") -- but it peters out in the second half. Anyway, in general it seems to me like these guys sounded better when they were playing with Ornette; the main exception is Blackwell, who is fantastic on all three of these discs.

Guy

You're missing the best one (PLAYING), although truth be told, I thought they were more thrilling when I saw them live (back in Spring 1980)...

Yea, they were fantastic live. I remember one especially memorable show at Keystone Korner around this time of the year. It might have even been New Years. There were several bands, including one with both Joe and Eddie Henderson. Old and New Dreams had top billing. Don Cherry seemed to be distracted by something. But I'll never forget how Dewey Redman and Ed Blackwell hooked up that evening. Incredible.

I listened to Old And New Dreams (Black Saint 120013) about two years ago and I really liked it.Is my best bet to purchase those two Black Saint titles (the title mentioned above) and A Tribute to Ed Blackwell? Can I skip those ECM titles without losing anything important?

Edited by Swinger

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, Olie Brice said:

Fascinating 'new' release, O&ND with Motian depping for Blackwell.  The sound isn't great and I'm not entirely sure of the legality of the release, but the playing is sublime -

https://conditionwestrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/old-and-new-dreams-live-in-saalfelden-1986

Taped from auditorium and for sure not Austrian radio (btw they had an excellent recording standard) .... (IMO) has bootleg written all over it ....

It was a good idea during that time, late 70´s if I remember right, there where two different groups of fans, those who preferred acoustic and those who preferred electric, and since Ornette was deeply into electrics with Prime Time, there were attempts of his former bandmates to please those who only dug the classic Ornette Coleman Trio/Quartet.

It was very similar to the VSOP, Miles classic quintet with Hubbard replacing Miles who was into electrics (or was taking a break).

I think it was mainly Charlie Hadens idea to form that Old and New Dreams. He was an acoustic purist, which was not the case with Ornette and Don Cherry, they were interested in electrics.

Anyway, there was  a great little record of "Ornette Coleman without Ornette Coleman" in the late 60´s, I think it was called Charles Brackeen Quartet. The man of Joanne Brackeen, who seems to be much better known. But it has Don Cherry, Charly Haden and I think Blackwell, or Higgins I´m not sure. This record sounds very much like an Ornette Coleman record.

I´d like to have it , but it seems to have disappeard and was not in the reissue circle.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Anyway, there was  a great little record of "Ornette Coleman without Ornette Coleman" in the late 60´s, I think it was called Charles Brackeen Quartet. The man of Joanne Brackeen, who seems to be much better known. But it has Don Cherry, Charly Haden and I think Blackwell, or Higgins I´m not sure. This record sounds very much like an Ornette Coleman record.

I´d like to have it , but it seems to have disappeard and was not in the reissue circle.

Rhythm x - it's in the mosaic clifford jordan box so you can make it reappear ;)

14 hours ago, Milestones said:

I love Charlie Haden, but a 17+ minute bass feature?

its Song for Che and the whole band plays

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It is Blackwell on drums, and like Guy said is in the Clifford Jordan Mosaic, along with Wilbur Ware's 'super bass' which also has Cherry and Blackwell (with Jordan on tenor)

I wouldn't quite call it 'Ornette without Ornette' though, for sure there's an influence and connection but Brackeen is a true original and Rhythm X is all his own compostions and a vital document in its own right - along with the 2 ECM trios with Motian I would say its the best Brackeen on record

Edited by Olie Brice

2 hours ago, Olie Brice said:

....  but Brackeen is a true original and Rhythm X is all his own compostions and a vital document in its own right - along with the 2 ECM trios with Motian I would say its the best Brackeen on record

These both Brackeen + Izenzon/Jenny-Clark + Motian are (IMO) still rather unheralded little gems ....

On ‎22‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 5:21 AM, Guy Berger said:

Rhythm x - it's in the mosaic clifford jordan box so you can make it reappear ;)

I just ordered it ! Thank you for the kind info, I would never have thought that I´ll find it on a box, and the other CDs also are very very promising.

Just as an "aperitiv" for the Mosaic Box with so much Don Cherry on it, I spinned "Complete Communion" yesterday. That´s some memories of my youth. I wanted to get into so called "free jazz" because I was afraid others might laugh at me if I can´t dig into something beyond bop and hard bop. And that guy who had that huge record collection of 90% free music, borrowed me the "Communion" and the "Rhythm X" and that was ideal for a free-jazz starter who´s still a bit afraid of "free", because it has portions of "straight ahead" where the bass walks, like I loved it. "Rhythm X" was a bit further out, but still understandable for a 15,16 year kid. I had both of them on tape, bought the Communion CD later and now I´m lookin forward to hear that Rhythm X. Will bring a lot of memories back, of the shy kid who wanted to be with the "hipsters" ......