monkboughtlunch

• 6 months later...

August 7 releases:

Andy & the Bey Sisters - 'Round Midnight

Art Farmer - Farmer's Market

Miles Davis - Steamin'

John Coltrane - Stardust

Red Garland - Soul Junction

meh. MIGHT pick up the Garland, but i'm more fond of his trio albums then the ones with horns. The rest i have no interest in.

• 3 weeks later...

August 7 releases:

I just received this CD:

394224.jpg

It includes the complete 'Round Midnight LP as well as Hear! Now! - at a total running time of less than 70 minutes.

Kirk Felton's remastering sounds great - get this, it is still available, and skip the RVG. You get twice as much music at a better price per minute.

Including this in the RVG series is nonsense.

p.s.: You would miss some great Jerome Richardson when skipping the Hear! Now! album!

Edited by mikeweil

August 7 releases:

I just received this CD:

394224.jpg

It includes the complete 'Round Midnight LP as well as Hear! Now! - at a total running time of less than 70 minutes.

Kirk Felton's remastering sounds great - get this, it is still available, and skip the RVG. You get twice as much music at a better price per minute.

Including this in the RVG series is nonsense.

p.s.: You would miss some great Jerome Richardson when skipping the Hear! Now! album!

In short: fuck Concord!

I bought so many OJCs of late, I'm constantly broke and have overdrawn my account/cc... it really sucks what's happening there, too many things keep just disappearing and not one wee bit of information about it.... I still remember reading here that no no, we won't touch the catalogue, ha ha... of course some never believed it... I wish I wouldn't have had the attitude that the OJCs keep being around forever for so long, now it's quickly getting too late on too many great titles!

I bought so many OJCs of late, I'm constantly broke and have overdrawn my account/cc...

Same here ..... :rolleyes:

it really sucks what's happening there, too many things keep just disappearing and not one wee bit of information about it.... I still remember reading here that no no, we won't touch the catalogue, ha ha... of course some never believed it... I wish I wouldn't have had the attitude that the OJCs keep being around forever for so long, now it's quickly getting too late on too many great titles!

I'm getting real mad every time I think about this! Second hand shops will see me more often now, but I'm afraid I will not be the only one.

tricks of the trade: djangos has lots still there, new and some new & used, also on US amazon, newbury_comics is great - they always delivered!

And they deliver fast -- holy crap! I have picked up a couple OJCs from them and I would highly recommend them. Don't buy the ones that are on my wish list, though. :rhappy:

I bought so many OJCs of late, I'm constantly broke and have overdrawn my account/cc... it really sucks what's happening there, too many things keep just disappearing and not one wee bit of information about it.... I still remember reading here that no no, we won't touch the catalogue, ha ha... of course some never believed it... I wish I wouldn't have had the attitude that the OJCs keep being around forever for so long, now it's quickly getting too late on too many great titles!

I can subscribe to everything you said there. First they wouldn't touch the catalogue, then came the blowout sale of things that would go OOP, but there's so much more that wasn't in the blowout sale that has gone OOP. It's really incredible how much has disappeared in a short time. I guess that between the Zweitausendeins sale, the Dusty Groove sale of blowout items (Concord wouldn't ship directly to Europe) and Newbury Comics, I've been lucky to be able to pick up a lot of OOP stuff at a pretty good price, but there's so much more. Try finding This Is Walt Dickerson to take just one example. That one has disappeared from the face of earth.

Yeah, and I haven't even got hold of a single one of the Dickerson's yet... stacked up the Golson, the two Mellés (act fast if you want them!), the Jimmy Woodes, the Joe Gordon, now waiting for the Barry Harris and Lock/Griff... and there's still a bunch of things, like Gigi Gryce, Don Friedman, Griffin, etc. etc. that I'd like to have!

A thought that occurs to me again and again, upon hearing the newly acquired discs, is how fine they all are, most notable almost each and any Riverside album, but also many, many Prestige sides are just as good as all the hyped Blue Note stuff! And Blue Notes are still so easy to find in sales again and again here, I really feel bad about buying so many of them in the past years while neglecting the OJC/Fantasy catalogue!

I can subscribe to everything you said there. First they wouldn't touch the catalogue, then came the blowout sale of things that would go OOP, but there's so much more that wasn't in the blowout sale that has gone OOP. It's really incredible how much has disappeared in a short time. I guess that between the Zweitausendeins sale, the Dusty Groove sale of blowout items (Concord wouldn't ship directly to Europe) and Newbury Comics, I've been lucky to be able to pick up a lot of OOP stuff at a pretty good price, but there's so much more. Try finding This Is Walt Dickerson to take just one example. That one has disappeared from the face of earth.

Hi:

This is Walt Dickerson is still listed on Concord's website and is available. I also ordered "Sense of direction." I called Concord to ask about the availablity of this title. They checked the warehouse and they still had copies. I have been on a Dickerson collecting spree lately. Just orded "Vibes in Motion" from Dusty Groove.

Good luck.

Michael