Snurdy

Clunky

Just received "Snurdy McGurdy..."

This is a great little album, just up my street. Incredible that its 20 years old as it sounds very fresh. Spaced out free balads to avant funk work outs, it work very well indeed. At first I thought it was a pity that Chuck hadn't unearthed any extras (it's only 40 mins long) but I see that as it stands it's way better than many overly long CDs. Small but perfectly formed. My first Nessa, anything else like it in Nessa stable ?

:rolleyes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliments guys.

No, there is nothing else in my catalog anything like Snurdy. I always try to make records as different as possible. For example, I recorded a marathon session with Von Freeman, and arranged the material into one aggressive record and one laid-back/rhapsodic. When I recorded Hal Russell's NRG Ensemble the second time, I added Charles Tyler to the band, etc. My catalog will never be large, but it will be as diverse as my taste allows.

Concerning the "time issue", we spent a great deal of time programming the record to be the best it could be and I like the way it worked out. I do have a total of 16 more complete takes from the session, but feel that the program would not be improved by adding anything. In fact, I believe the disc would be less impressive with more material. I'm not interested in selling music by the pound. Same situation with our Air record - it could not be improved. Producers make choices like that, and ya gotta live with it.

PS anybody notice we recorded this in Curtis Mayfield's studio?

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Well, OK, this is probably spam, but I think Chuck deserves to have his catalog posted. Here's a list that I got from him in 2002:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nessa records – p o box 394 – whitehall, mi 49461

phone/fax 231 894-4088

cnessa@earthlink.net

The following individual titles from our catalog are available on cd.

Air Air Time – Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins and Steve McCall

ncd-12

Recorded Nov, 1977. This was Air’s 3rd lp, but the first issued in the US

Fred Anderson The Missing Link – w/ Hamid Drake, Larry Hayrod and Adam Rudolph

ncd-23

Recorded Sept. 1979. This was Fred’s 3rd date too, and his first US issue.

Art Ensemble of Chicago Les Stances a Sophie – w/Fontella Bass

ncd-4/Universal*

Recorded July, 1970. The first recording of the Bowie, Jarman, Mitchell, Favors, Moye lineup.

Von Freeman Have No Fear – w/ John Young, David Shipp and Wilbur Campbell

ncd-6/Bomba*

Recorded June 1975. Boomerang, a Freeman original has been added to the cd.

Von Freeman Serenade & Blues – as above

ncd-11/Chief*

Recorded June 1975. I’ll Close My Eyes, almost 15 minutes, has been added.

Roscoe Mitchell LRG/The Maze/S II Examples – 2 lps on one cd

ncd-14/Chief*

Recorded July/Aug.1978. w/Leo Smith, George Lewis, Thurman Barker, Anthony Braxton, Douglas Ewart, Malachi Favors, Joseph Jarman, Don Moye and Henry Threadgill

Hal Russell NRG Ensemble ncd-21/Bomba*

Recorded May 1981. The band’s first date w/ Chuck Burdelik, Brian Sandstrom, Curt Bley, and Steve Hunt.

Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler – Generation

ncd-25/Chief*

Recorded Sept. 1982. w/ Burdelik, Sandstrom, Bley and Hunt. Never on lp.

Wadada Leo Smith – Procession of the Great Ancestry

ncd-26/Chief*

Recorded Feb. 1983. w/ Bobby Naughton, Joe Fonda, Kahil El‘Zabar, Louis Myers, Mchaka Uba and John Powell. Never on lp.

*These items are pressed by licensees Bomba (Japan), Chief (England) and Universal Sounds (England).

Also available is our limited edition (2500 copies) 5 cd, box set:

The Art Ensemble – 1967/68 w/Roscoe Mitchell, Lester Bowie, Joseph Jarman, Malachi Favors, Phillip Wilson, Charles Clark, Robert Crowder and Thurman Barker. This package contains the music from 3 lps (Numbers 1 & 2, Congliptious and Old/Quartet) plus almost 3 hours of new, previously unissued material.

Individual cds are $15 each, and the box set $75. Shipping charges are extra, and vary according to the size of the order and mode of transportation desired. Payment can be made by cash, checks (drawn on a US bank), money orders, MasterCard or Visa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status of Nessa catalog

LP number Availability / Status

n-1 Lester Bowie Numbers 1 & 2 available in Art Ensemble Box – ncd-2500

n-2 Roscoe Mitchell Congliptious available in Art Ensemble Box – ncd-2500

n-3 Art Ensemble of Chicago People In Sorrow rights have reverted to EMI-France

n-4 Art Ensemble of Chicago Les Stances a Sophie rights have reverted to EMI-France*

n-5 Roscoe Mitchell Old/Quartet available in Art Ensemble Box – ncd-2500

n-6 Von Freeman Have No Fear cd issued in Japan – we have a few copies for sale

n-7 Warne Marsh All Music cd issue in preparation

n-8 Ben Webster Did You Call? rights have reverted to Ensayo-Spain

n-9/10 Roscoe Mitchell Nonaah out of print

n-11 Von Freeman Serenade & Blues available as ncd-11 w/extra track

n-12 Air Air Time available as ncd-12

n-13 Lucky Thompson Body & Soul rights have reverted to Ensayo – Spain

n-14/15 Roscoe Mitchell LRG/The Maze/SII Examples available as ncd-14

n-16 Charles Tyler Saga of the Outlaws out of print

n-17 Bobby Bradford/John Stevens vol. 1 available on lp only

n-18 Bobby Bradford/John Stevens vol. 2 out of print

n-19 Wadada Leo Smith Spirit Catcher available on lp only

n-20 Roscoe Mitchell Snurdy McGurdy recently reissued

n-21 Hal Russell NRG Ensemble cd issued in Japan – we have a few copies for sale

n-22 Eddie Johnson Indian Summer available on lp only

n-23 Fred Anderson The Missing Link available as ncd-23 w/extra track

n-24 Hal Russell/Mars Williams Eftsoons available on lp only

The following 2 titles were never issued as lps, but are available on cd, pressed in GB by our licensee

n-25 Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler Generation

n-26 Wadada Leo Smith Procession of the Great Ancestry

* n-4 has been reissued in England, and we have stock for sale.

Edited by J.A.W.

Wow, the Dutch ad agency came through again. :D

The only changes to that listing is the addition of Snurdy and the deletion of the English version of Les Stances a Sophie.

I've had lots of chargecard email sales by splitting the card info over a couple of messages.

I can also supply Delmark, Uptown and Okka Disk titles under similar terms.

The CD turned up yesterday. Very glad to have it - beautiful variety. That first track is irresistible, but I love the combination of out/free/marching band/funk styles - who'd have thought that could all work together? First time I've heard any of these musicians, as well. Love Roscoe's sound, and Hugh Ragin's too - he has a bit of that gorgeous brass band-type tone.

First time I've heard any of these musicians, as well. Love Roscoe's sound, and Hugh Ragin's too - he has a bit of that gorgeous brass band-type tone.

In addition to playing on a number of Roscoe Mitchell's releases, trumpeter Hugh Ragin has also played in David Murray's big band and with David Lindberg.

He also has several nice releases on Justin Time. (I reviewed his 2001 Justin Time release Fanfare & Siesta a while back.)

403592.jpg

Edited by alankin

Roscoe Mitchell

Snurdy McGurdy & Her Dancin' Shoes

NESSA NCD-20

Sing/Song; CYP; Stomp & The Far East Blues; March (Composition 40 Q); Round; Snurdy McGurdy & Her Dancin' Shoes.

Hugh Ragin (t, flhn, piccolo t); Roscoe Mitchell (f, wood f, cl, ss, as, ts, bsx); A . Spencer Barefield (g, p); Jaribu Shahid (clo, b, perc); Tani Tabbal (d). 12/80.

Here is truly exultant music from one of the great originals of the once-called ¡°new thing", music that pulsates, vibrates and excites at every turn. One of the best (and more secret) issues of 1982, it has remained out of print for many years until this long-awaited reissue on CD.

Where at least one other recent issue has purported to celebrate the jazz tradition through re-examination, but succeeded only in smothering it, this highlights and sheds new, detailed light on a range of styles - from the blues and the New Orleans parade to bop, the cool and the abstract. The parade is not just represented in ¡°March", but also in ¡°Sing/Song", where, following a contemplative, serene sequence featuring Mitchell's flute, march figures segue into drones and wailing figures appropriate to a funeral. This parallel is underlined further by the break into a radiant melodic trumpet solo that serves to reflect the traditional ¡°Oh Didn't He Ramble?" segment. But there is more to this performance than that, as Barefield's guitar and Mitchell's tart alto demonstrate.

The sense of joy threads the album like a little ray of sunshine and is particularly gratifying on the aptly dancing title track. The steps in this particular hoedown are somewhat off-centre, so the rhythmic surprises generate delightful melodic ones. In contrast, the abstract is represented by the minimalist ¡°CYP" and ¡°Round", the latter finding links between formal counterpoint and the basic call-and- response patterns of gospel music. More basically, ¡°March" itself is not an outside-looking-in impression of the rhythm and blues, but an expressionist view from within, while the blues are stretched and reshaped on ¡°Stomp & The Far East Blues."

A wizard of the reeds and founder member of the Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Mitchell's influence is heard directly in the work of multi-reed player Anthony Braxton (who used it to expand his interpretation of Tristano) and trumpeter Leo Smith; it is heard also in the contemporary work of such as Rob Mazurek and This Moment, who hew more to the non-jazz schools of free improvisation (but, then, Mitchell is equally at home with Morton Feldman-like symphonic structures). Joy is an emotion much undervalued in jazz, both by musicians and the critics who treat it as a shallow emotion. Mitchell puts that calumny to rest here in an album to rank with the innovative Congliptious and Old/Quartet (both nessa, 1967 & 1968), Songs In The Wind (Victo, 1990) and Hey Donald (Delmark, 1994). CHRIS SHERIDAN

Thanks Chuck !

Do I have all of them with the following list ?

Chet Baker

Boston, 1954

Kenny Barron

New York Attitude

Serge Chaloff

Boston 1950

Sonny Clark

Oakland, 1955

Tommy Flanagan

Nights at the Vanguard

Carl Fontana

The Great Fontana

Jimmy Gourley

The Left Bank of New York

Barry Harris

For The Moment

Coleman Hawkins

Jamestown, NY 1958

Dodo Marmarosa

Pittsburgh, 1958

Charles Mingus

West Coast, 1945-49

Charlie Parker

Montreal 1953

Boston, 1952

Densil Pinnock

I Waited For You

Freddie Redd

Lonely City

Charlie Rouse

Soul Mates

Jack Sheldon

Playing For Change

Don Sickler

Night Watch

Lee Wiley

Music Of Manhattan 1951

Talking of Ragin; his latest release Feel The Sunshine on Justin Time hasn't had a great deal of publicity. It's pretty much a straight ahead date with Assif Tsahar, Craig Taborn, Jaribu Shahid, Tani Tabal and Bruce Cox.

Still have my lp of Snurdy. Not played for a while but I remember being quite excited by it when it first came out. As I recall the Barefield, Tabal and Shahid trio was something completely fresh to my ears then. I'm about to give it a play.

Edited by JohnS