Snurdy

Clunky

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally had a chance to listen to this one. Whereas the Marsh immediately grabbed me, Snurdy didn't. The music is cool and I can relate to it, but I need a more concentrated listening than this one I think. I'll put it on in the train to work tomorrow and see what I think then.

listened to snurdy again today, twice! On the train to work track #5 (the long slow one), really got on my nerves. It sounded like a load of noodling to me; I couldn't get into it. On the train back home, I dug the same track quite a bit, so I guess it needs some growing pains. The other slow part (track #2, "pt2") on the disk worked fine on the train to work, but did not on the train back home. Go figure.

All in all I like this music quite a bit (more than that actually). The guitar reminds me of Frank Zappa on Zolar Czakl; come to think of it: the whole concept reminds me of those early FZ sound paintings as you find them on Unlce Meat and Lumpy Gravy. (You'd almost expect the voice to pop up that goes "hmmm papaaa papa papapa papaaa," like it does on 9 types of industrial pollution).

The slower tracks were a bit out of place for my ears today. I'll see what the future brings. It'll grow I think.

BTW: listening to the AEC box now (disk 2) and: :tup:excited:

Well, as usual, I'm behind the listening curve here, but I just want to also say that this is truly a great cd, and thanks Chuck for the reissue. As has been pointed out before, this cd is fulled with joy, and that just radiates off this disk. A. Spencer Barefield is very inventive with his playing, and Jaribu Shaid & Tani Tabbal really add great touches throughout the session. Of course, Mitchell and Ragin work well together and seem to supply each other with great musical ideas at every moment. So, I may be coming in late on this, but it's a wonderful cd, and I'm hoping that Nonaah will also be re-released. Thanks again Chuck for getting this music out.

Edited by Matthew

• 1 year later...

i finally got to listen to my copy of snurdy which i purchased from chuck months ago. thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish with quite a few surprises along the way! :)

this one will get repeated listenings before i move on to the next up on my "to listen to" shelf. good stuff!

this does not come as a surprise because i have really enjoyed EVERY cd that i have ordered from chuck.

thanks chuck! :)

• 3 years later...

I finally found a NM Lp copy of this record... :)

Well, it's actually the only copy I've ever found, and lucked out it was near mint.

An all-green label with black lettering except for "NESSA" which is in white. Is this a first pressing Chuck? (If there was more than one...)

Putting Side 2 on next... :D

• 1 year later...

PS: anybody notice we recorded this in Curtis Mayfield's studio?

Any story behind this, Chuck?? Just curious...

I chose the studio/engineer combo because of the nature of the band. I wanted an engineer familiar with funk/blues/rock/etc in order to get the sound I wanted. Bruce Iglauer of Alligator recommended Freddie so I went to visit him at the studio. I got what I was looking for. By the time we mixed/edited the tapes Fred had moved to Streeterville Studios and we mixed it there.

Curtis was not around, but his gold records lined the office walls.

It was also very convenient since it was less than a mile from our apartment.

Random question...just out of curiosity and not (I don't think!) of any importance otherwise...I notice this was recorded at Curtom studios...is there a story there? Or were these studios fairly frequently used commercial studios?

I think this is answered in post 28 above.

Ah - sorry, so it is! Copied in above for anyone like me who missed that first time around!

• 3 years later...

Bringing this one back up... it's beautiful music, and a wonderful recording.

I am definitely not an audiophile, but I recently purchased a DVD/CD player that knows how to handle HDCDs. I realize that SACDs and a myriad of other formats have superseded that format, but this CD sounds GREAT on my system.

This music makes me smile, every time. :)

• 5 years later...

I see i started this thread 16 years ago and that Snurdy was my first Nessa release. I think now  I've got pretty much all of them on CD or LP or both ( although not yet got  Eftsoons). Snurdy was also the starting point for me following (as much as I could afford) the fantastic music of Roscoe Mitchell. Never a dull moment.....