Snurdy

Clunky

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS:  anybody notice we recorded this in Curtis Mayfield's studio?

Any story behind this, Chuck?? Just curious...

I chose the studio/engineer combo because of the nature of the band. I wanted an engineer familiar with funk/blues/rock/etc in order to get the sound I wanted. Bruce Iglauer of Alligator recommended Freddie so I went to visit him at the studio. I got what I was looking for. By the time we mixed/edited the tapes Fred had moved to Streeterville Studios and we mixed it there.

Curtis was not around, but his gold records lined the office walls.

It was also very convenient since it was less than a mile from our apartment.

Anybody know of any on-line sound samples from "Snurdy McGurdy"?? I'm assuming this is still in print, direct from Chuck?? I can't seem to find it on-line anywhere (well, Tower has it in their database, but it says "special order", and Dusty Groove is out of stock. And B&N and Amazon don't even have it in their databases.)

Looking at this thread, and the AMG Review, this looks like something I probably need to get. (Or at lease something I should definitely give a spin.)

Actually (and I may get shot for admitting this) - but I don't think I've ever heard any Roscoe Mitchell at all (except maybe on an Art Ensemble disc??) -- or at least not that I can think of. :unsure:

And I guess that means I'll be shot for sure, now, since I've just tacitly admitted that I've never been bitten by the Art Ensemble bug either. :unsure::unsure:

Yikes!!! :o -- guess I'm gonna be banned now from the board!!! :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

*bump*

I recently purchased this from Chuck -- this is an amazing recording. This is truly unlike anything I've ever heard before. Thanks, Chuck, for expanding my horizons.

I'm not very good at describing or critiquing jazz records, but one thing comes though loud and clear: joy. Definitely a fun, joyous, exciting, surprising, unique 40 minutes of music.

For the record, Chuck, can you tell us the story behind the title, and the happy young lady on the cover?

Jim is correct - that's Atala Mitchell on the cover. She "was" Snurdy McGurdy and burned off her youthful energy by dancing. She had a favorite pair of gym shoes she destroyed with her dancing.

Roscoe and family lived on a farm in Wisconsin. Ann and I took a trip to spend a couple of days with them and Ann brought her camera to take some pictures for the record cover. We intended using the shoes but none of the shots worked out for a cover so we used the pic of Atala in action.

Two related points - this was the 2nd time this young lady was "immortalized" on record (A1TAL2LA on Roscoe's Nonaah is for her) and she went on to earn a masters in dance at the University of Michigan.

This is truly unlike anything I've ever heard before. Thanks, Chuck, for expanding my horizons.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This reaction is why I have done what I have done.

Corny as it sounds, I feel giving "new kinds of beauty" to the world is the highest calling a human can aspire to.

Forgive the CRAP, but this means something to me.

Thanks, Jim and Chuck. My first guess was Roscoe's daughter; it sure is nice to know the story behind the title and the picture. I was wondering why she wasn't wearing her dancin' shoes!

There's no need to apologize, Chuck. Obviously, many people have recognized the beauty in this recording, and it means a great deal to all of us, as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UP, because I picked this up at Dusty Groove this weekend. Wow. I hadn't heard a whole lot of Roscoe before this, though I was impressed by his performances at the Chicago Jazz Fest last year. This is a GREAT record, very much worthy of all the acclaim I've been seeing on the jazz boards. I like that it's relatively short. My attention span peters out around 45 minutes for the best music. This is a nearly perfect session, IMO.

I saw Air Time there, too, and having just heard them for the first time (found Montreaux Suisse Air on LP), I want it!

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst digging around my vinyl collection I found ,

Roscoe Mitchell and the Sound & Space Ensembles on Black Saint, I hadn't palyed it before and can barely remember buying but it's not at all bad. A bit of son-of -snurdy feel to it, although not quite in the same league

Instrumentation slightly expanded on Snurdy with the notable addition of "tenor voice". Usually I run a mile from such vocals but it works pretty and fits in nicely. Anyone infatuated with Snurdy would do well to give this one a listen too.

Whilst digging around my vinyl collection I found ,

Roscoe Mitchell and the Sound & Space Ensembles on Black Saint, I hadn't palyed it before and can barely remember buying but it's not at all bad. A bit of son-of -snurdy feel to it, although not quite in the same league

Instrumentation slightly expanded on Snurdy with the notable addition of "tenor voice". Usually I run a mile from such vocals but it works pretty and fits in nicely. Anyone infatuated with Snurdy would do well to give this one a listen too.

That's Thomas Buckner. I can't stand him at all(and have oly talked to one person who really liked him). I burned the tracks without him and dumped the cd.

Yeah, that Tom Buckner guy is somebody that I figure if Roscoe digs him, then I should take the time to listen and figure out what his musical "angle" is. Having done that, I can appreciate him, but I still can't like him. Actually saw him in a trio w/Roscoe & Hugh Ragin once, and it's a testament to the power of those two that Buckner actually was not annoying, especially when he was silent. ;)