The Porcupine Tree Corner

Uncle Skid

I first became familiar with this band around four years ago. In Absentia (2002) was my first purchase, and I also have Deadwing (2005).

Of those two recordings, I prefer the first, but also enjoy the later release.

Any other recommendations? I'm hoping Matthew and Aggie will drop in here... all opinions welcome, of course!

I've been so deeply into jazz the last few years that I seldom come up for air -- this band is one of the few "rock" bands that have interested me in that time.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've become a big fan of Porcupine Tree, this past year I've gone from zero cds to now having twelve cds and the new DVD (of course, that pales to Aggie's totals ;) ). What I like about PT is the combination of prog-rock, to now the prog-rock + metal = Pt's new sound, really an interesting mix. Standouts for me are:

Up The Downstair: This is my favorite PT disk, it's has that very nice prog feel to it, but yet it has Steve Wilson's unique take on that prog/druggie whole sound. An added bonus is that the second cd is Staircase Infinities, which is very cool.

Warszawa: Live concert from Poland that has good sound and is more the "trippy" side of PT. Love the version of Russia On Ice. Rocks pretty good also.

Lightbulb Sun: Another great one, very good songwriting on this cd. Be warned though, it available as an import only, cost is about $30.00

If you're willing to take a chance on the instrumental side of PT, Voyage 34 & Metanoia I find are interesting.

I really like Deadwing, it is a very good melding of metal riffs and the druggie side of PT. However, I've never been able to warm up to In Absentia, it just leaves me cold.

I want to start to get into Wilson's side project, but the cds are just so darned expensive off their website. Aggie, of course, is the Tree Man, and he owns just about everything PT or Wilson.

Been into Porcupine Tree since the late-90s when they first started to catch a little exposure in the US.

I think I like the mid-period PTree the best (Signify-Stupid Dream-Lightbulb Sun), probably because of the songwriting and Chris Maitland's drumming.

The early material is good, but a bit drawn out to my ears. There are sections of Voyage 34 that I like, and sections of Up the Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways that are brilliant, but it all seems so padded. Early PTree is best for me when kept short(er) and sweet, like the tunes "Stars Die", "Always Never" and "Swallows Dance Above the Sun". The live Coma Divine album is a good summation of the early period.

I liked In Absentia and LOVED the live show I saw from that tour down at Irving Plaza. I looked forward to Deadwing, bought it, and was really disappointed. Something in that album didn't click with me.

Steve Wilson is a genius songwriter and producer and I can't wait to see where he brings the band next.

Ahh, now here's a corner I could camp out in for a long time! :tup

This is a band that's grown by leaps and bounds from their early days, and have stylistcially bounced all over the rock map. I haven't found fault with anything they've put out, for the most part. Here's a run down of their official releases:

1. Early recordings - When it was pretty much a Steven Wilson solo project, with occasional outside support. These releases are more psychedelic, and a bit all over the map:

On the Sunday of Life

Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape

Up the Downstair

Spiral Circus (Live)

The first two CD's above are compilations from the original Porcupine Tree cassette only releases (Tarquin's Seaweed Farm, Love Death and Mussolini, and The Nostalgia Factory). YHD is a very limited edition CD release, and goes for pretty big bucks these days. Spiral Circus is likewise difficult to track down.

2. PT transitions into an actual band next, with Steven Wilson being joined by Richard Barbieri (of Japan), Colin Edwin, and Chris Maitland, and produced some spacier, proggier material:

Sky Moves Sideways (their most Pink Floyd-like release, loved by some and hated by others for that reason)

Voyage 34

Transmission IV/Moonloop - 40 minute single track CD

3. This next era is my favorite, just like JMJK. The band gets into a more concise, song-based cycle

Lightbulb Sun (out of print, but due for a reissue some time in '07)

Stupid Dream

Signify

Metanoia (instrumental demos for Signify - this one probably fits better with the previous releases, as it's extended instrumental improvisations)

Coma Divine (live)

Recordings (b-sides and outtakes from Lightbulb Sun & Stupid Dream, my two favorite PT discs...this one is as good as those two)

Warszawa (live)

4. PT signs with Warner/Lava, and introduces some metal influences into the music:

In Absentia

Deadwing

XMI (live in XM studios, w/o audience)

XMII (ditto)

Adrian Belew guested on Deadwing, and both Robert Fripp and Alex Lifeson are guesting on the forthcoming release, due in late spring/summer I believe. Here's a quote from a December posting to Fripp's online diary:

...two contributions to the new Porcupine Tree album. The first, mostly Soundscapes. The second, a fiery & intense spray of flailing metal in two takes, each of which shortened my lifespan.
:D

There is also a 2 disc compilation, that covers everything before Stupid Dream, called Stars Die. It's got some material on it that can't be found elsewhere, so it's worth picking up as well, if the PT bug bites you.

Edited by Aggie87

I have an EP titled Staircase Infinities -- not sure how that fits in to Aggie's chronology.

Guy

It was originally an early, separate EP release, with outtakes from Up the Downstair, but it is now the second disc of the UTD reissue. I probably should have mentioned it, but I was trying to limit my list to their full length LP/CD releases. I don't know if Spiral Circus qualifies either, now that I think about it - I think it's just EP length.

Signify also had a related, limited edition outtakes companion, called Insignificance, which was also the 2nd disc of that album's reissue.

Hard to keep up with PT/Steven Wilson!

Thanks for all the information, and the recommendations!

What I like about PT is the combination of prog-rock, to now the prog-rock + metal = Pt's new sound, really an interesting mix.

That combination is also what interested me; the AMG review of Deadwing summarizes it well: "...a riff-addicted metal band and a troupe obsessed with rich harmonies and memorable refrains". Drummer Gavin Harrison seems to have added a lot to the metal side of the band -- the intro on Shallow is somewhat simple and subtle, but still rocks pretty hard.

My 16-year old son (Metallica fan) likes parts of that record, but when Shallow turns in to (the decidedly "lighter") Lazarus, it quickly became "wuss music". :lol: I like both tunes, so I must be a hard-rockin' wuss! ;)

I really like Deadwing, it is a very good melding of metal riffs and the druggie side of PT. However, I've never been able to warm up to In Absentia, it just leaves me cold.

I listened to both records again recently, and Deadwing is growing on me. In Absentia has some really great tunes, but there's a few that usually get skipped. The ones I like the most include "Blackest Eyes", "Trains", "Prodigal", and ".3".

"The Sound of Muzak" has some interesting lyrics, the irony of which may have been lost on my head-banging son:

The music of rebellion

Makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires

Who are nearly twice your age

:w

3. This next era is my favorite, just like JMJK. The band gets into a more concise, song-based cycle

Lightbulb Sun (out of print, but due for a reissue some time in '07)

Stupid Dream

Signify

Metanoia (instrumental demos for Signify - this one probably fits better with the previous releases, as it's extended instrumental improvisations)

Coma Divine (live)

Recordings (b-sides and outtakes from Lightbulb Sun & Stupid Dream, my two favorite PT discs...this one is as good as those two)

Warszawa (live)

Aggie the Tree Man in the house! :cool::tup

Sounds like the "mid-period" stuff is a good place to go next... I'm interested to hear the differences (less "metal" influenced?) between then and now.

It seems that one of the great strengths of this band is its blending of seemingly different musical genres, styles, etc. Kind of a Monday Michiru for the head-banging crowd? :)

Sounds like the "mid-period" stuff is a good place to go next... I'm interested to hear the differences (less "metal" influenced?) between then and now.

It seems that one of the great strengths of this band is its blending of seemingly different musical genres, styles, etc. Kind of a Monday Michiru for the head-banging crowd? :)

I think you'll love these recordings, Mark. My recommendation is to work your way backwards chronologically through Porcupine Tree's releases, if you've come to them from just the newest releases. I think you'll find all of it worth your time.

Steven Wilson's non-PT music is very good too. All of it is completely different in style from the Tree, but generally as well made and absorbing. There's no-man (duo with singer Tim Bowness), Blackfield (duo with Aviv Geffen), Bass Communion, IEM, and a couple of things he's done under his own name. I haven't figured out how he managed to do so much, and so well.

I'm glad to see PT getting some love around here. One of my desert island bands for sure! Though I think I'd have to swim over to Sangry's island just to lust after Monday Michiru every now and then... :P

I was just listening to Signify last night...

B000001YOW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and to me, the main difference between the "mid-period" stuff and what PT is doing now concerns two main aspects.

1. The mid-period stuff, like Signify are very much about the sound scape that is being presented. Long stretches of music, very much centered around LSD, and the whole drug-music trip. It makes for fascinating listening, but in the newer cds, that while ethic is more in the background.

2. While the sound scape/electronic music thing is now in the background, Steve Wilson's songwriting is now really center stage in the presentation of the music. Which is fine, but I'm not sure where Wilson can go with the current direction. It'll be very interesting to hear the new cd, which, I guess, is coming out in April.

Update on SW's release plans for this year, so far:

Feb/March : Blackfield II

March : No-Man - Together We're Stranger (5.1 DVDA edition)

April : Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

May : Steven Wilson - Collecting MySpace (exclusive Headphone Dust mini album collecting pieces made available on SW's MySpace page, plus additional material)

And later on....

Steven Wilson - Cover Version V

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun (CD/5.1 DVDA edition)

Continuum - II

Bass Communion - Pacific Codex

BFII2.jpg

Blackfield II is due out in Europe in February, and then in March in the U.S. Tracklisting follows:

1. Once (4.03)

2. 1,000 People (3.54)

3. Miss U (4.13)

4. Christenings (4.37)

5. This Killer (4.06)

6. Epidemic (4.59)

7. My Gift of Silence (4.05)

8. Some Day (4.22)

9. Where is My Love? (2.59)

10. End of the World (5.13)

U.S. tour dates in support of this album:

10 Mar 2007 - Knitting Factory, LOS ANGELES, California

11 Mar 2007 - Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, California

13 Mar 2007 - World Cafe Live, PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania

15 Mar 2007 - Ramshead, ANNAPOLIS, Maryland

16 Mar 2007 - Bowery Ballroom, NEW YORK, New York

18 Mar 2007 - Berklee Recital Hall, BOSTON, Massachusetts

Edited by Aggie87

Don't know why Lightbulb Sun is being redone, the cd is not that old, and it sounds great to me. Guess it's that 5.1 that's the hook. :rolleyes:

SW loves 5.1, so that's half of it. He's also a perfectionist, and it's OOP, so I'm guessing he thinks he can improve on the sound (which sounds fine to me already). Given that this was the last recording before they signed with Atlantic/Lava, I'm guessing he wants to make it available now to the newer fans.

Don't know why Lightbulb Sun is being redone, the cd is not that old, and it sounds great to me. Guess it's that 5.1 that's the hook. :rolleyes:

SW loves 5.1, so that's half of it. He's also a perfectionist, and it's OOP, so I'm guessing he thinks he can improve on the sound (which sounds fine to me already). Given that this was the last recording before they signed with Atlantic/Lava, I'm guessing he wants to make it available now to the newer fans.

It would be nice if there was more/different music on the bonus disk, maybe disk two with the Recordings tracks on it -- I can dream can't I. :w

April : Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

I was thinking about this release yesterday and I'm really interested in what direction Wilson will be going on this new cd. In Absentia and Deadwing had their moments but it seems like the more I listen to them, the lesser they become. Supposedly, Fear of a Blank Planet will just have eight songs, and will be the combination that Wilson has been following the past couple of years, Metal + Prog, which is interesting to a point. The recent DVD that came out, musically, I must admit, hasn't excited me that much after about five or six listens. We'll wait and see. It'll be interesting no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested in ordering an autographed copy (by both SW and Aviv Geffen) of Blackfield II, it's available at Newbury Comics. This appears to be an exclusive edition of the album, limited to 1000 copies.

Also, the album art for Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" appears to be out:

porcupinetreeart1.jpg

1. Fear of a Blank Planet (7.28)

2. My Ashes (5.07)

3. Anesthetize (17.42)

4. Sentimental (5.26)

5. Way Out of Here (7.37)

6. Sleep Together (7.28)

Edited by Aggie87

FYI - Early orders of Blackfield II from SW's website have an insert in them that indicates in addition to the remastered Lightbulb Sun later this year, they'll be releasing remastered versions of Moonloop and Recordings as well. Both apparently will include bonus tracks, too.

I'm interested in seeing what is included with Moonloop, since it was just reissued last year (originally w/o the band's approval, but SW ultimately got on board and remastered it for Delirium, their early label that had the rights to it at the time).

And the Recordings reissue is great news for anyone who likes the Signify/Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun material. It was a limited issue originally, and has been going for pretty big bucks over the past few years. I bought it in Germany when it was originally issued, but if it includes bonus material, I'm sure I'll end up getting the new one as well.

Edited by Aggie87

FYI - Early orders of Blackfield II from SW's website have an insert in them that indicates in addition to the remastered Lightbulb Sun later this year, they'll be releasing remastered versions of Moonloop and Recordings as well. Both apparently will include bonus tracks, too.

I'm interested in seeing what is included with Moonloop, since it was just reissued last year (originally w/o the band's approval, but SW ultimately got on board and remastered it for Delirium, their early label that had the rights to it at the time).

And the Recordings reissue is great news for anyone who likes the Signify/Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun material. It was a limited issue originally, and has been going for pretty big bucks over the past few years. I bought it in Germany when it was originally issued, but if it includes bonus material, I'm sure I'll end up getting the new one as well.

That is great news about Moonloop & Recordings, I've been holding off on those two under the principle that everything will come around eventually. Been delaying on SW side projects under another principle: you can't stop at one. I know once I start down that path, much money will disappear from my wallet. :o

Edited by Matthew

• 1 month later...

Fear of a Blank Planet will be released in Europe and elsewhere on 18 April, and in the U.S. on 24 April.

Also, a couple of U.S. dates have been added (Detroit, Grand Rapids, Chicago, & Milwaukee). Here's the full tour plan:

Apr 18 2007 GLASGOW, UK: ABC

Apr 19 2007 NEWCASTLE, UK: Academy

Apr 20 2007 PRESTON, UK: 53 Degrees

Apr 22 2007 NOTTINGHAM, UK: Rock City

Apr 23 2007 WOLVERHAMPTON, UK: Wulfren

Apr 24 2007 BRISTOL, UK: Academy

Apr 25 2007 CAMBRIDGE, UK: Junction

Apr 26 2007 LONDON, UK: Forum

May 08 2007 SEATTLE, USA: Showbox

May 09 2007 PORTLAND, USA: Aladdin

May 11 2007 SAN FRANCISCO, USA: Warfield

May 12 2007 LOS ANGELES, USA: Avalon