The Porcupine Tree Corner

Uncle Skid

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never listened to Porcupine Tree and I was wondering which album would you suggest for me to start with? I know that's a hard questions since their style has evolved over time, but I'm asking it anyway. lol

Thanks!

I'd start smack dab in the middle of their discography with "In Absentia", a great album and one that touches on both where they had been and where they were headed. The song "Prodigal" I posted above is from that record. There is also an EP that goes along with the album called "Futile" which is a must-have, it's available as a download-only release from Burning Shed.

Hey Jeff, I think Shawn's advice is very good. I also think the release "Recordings" might be a good starting point. I myself got started when Shawn played me the DVD "Arriving Somewhere." Somehow the visual element made it all click for me.

I like those picks also, though I would have liked other suggestions too. If you like what you hear keep working your way from there both forward & backwards. :)

That's a great idea. I will work forward and backwards. I've been listening to samples of the various albums on Amazon and it's interesting seeing the progression. I actually like the 90's albums quite a bit too.

Porcupine Tree are well worth exploring, AfricaBrass - take it from someone who rarely goes near contemporary rock music of any sort. They really captured my imagination. Shawn seems to know the music inside out so his advice is sound.

Thanks! I've lost touch with most contemporary rock music too and have been hearing about Porcupine Tree for a long time. So far, I've been enjoying what I'm hearing. :)

The DVDs (visual kind, not DVD-A) Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are excellent too. Sometimes I've played them with the video off as the music holds up on its own, which is what you want in a concert DVD. I took a very nonlinear path exploring the band and enjoy it all, some more than others but as I came in late I have none of that "oh no, the style changed again" angst that someone from the beginning might have. :lol:

Quincy brings up a very valid point, it was the concert DVDs of Porcupine Tree and Opeth that REALLY cemented both bands with me.

"Arriving Somewhere", filmed on the Deadwing tour was my real introduction to Porcupine Tree and it's a practically perfect performance. Anesthetize is equally as good and features the Fear Of A Blank Planet album performed in it's entirety.

"Lamentations" by Opeth I recommend just as highly, I actually watched the concert prior to listening to any studio recordings and was instantly hooked by them. The concert is split into two sets. Set One is the Damnation album (plus Harvest from Blackwater Park), all clean vocals and very melodic. Set Two dips into the heavier aspects of the band, including the definitive performance of the song "Deliverance".

Edited by Shawn

I took a very nonlinear path exploring the band and enjoy it all, some more than others but as I came in late I have none of that "oh no, the style changed again" angst that someone from the beginning might have. :lol:

I'm much the same.

Had the same experience with Pink Floyd, arriving with Atom Heart Mother. Never suffered Syditosis (though maybe developed the angst around DSotM).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yup, as I noted in post 255 "Arriving Somewhere" got me started on Porcupine Tree, and (not in post 255) the "Lamentations" DVD you played me got me started on Opeth. Those concert DVDs really netted the bands some money from me!

Edited by jazzbo

Just my $.02, but I think "Signify" is a good starting point - it was for me anyway. Seems to represent both their past and future sounds pretty well. The 2-disk "Special Edition" has lots of hidden gems in it, as well.

Thanks for the tip! I've listened to samples from all their albums and so far, Signify is one of my favorites.

• 4 months later...

"Kscope have just announced on the twenty ninth edition of their post-progressive podcast that Porcupine Tree will be releasing ‘Octane Twisted’ a 2CD/DVD set on November 5th. The audio and video will be taken from the band’s show on 2nd May 2010 at the Riviera Theater, Chicago, which was one of the many shows on tour in which ‘The Incident’ was performed in it’s entirety. More details are coming soon!"

I'm looking forward to this one! Especially if Porcupine Tree is now defunct.

Also upcoming is Steven Wilson's live set, "Get All You Deserve". There's a BlueRay/DVD/2cd edition available for pre-order on Burning Shed.

SW has done a number of interviews over the past year or so, with indications that he's not sure he wants PT to get back together. I'm hoping it's just a case of needing a break, and being able to reconvene later with recharged batteries. But SW truly seems to be enjoying his solo efforts, so I don't know that he's inclined to do anything further with PT. We'll see.

I think Insurgentes could easily have been a PT album. Not so much Grace for Drowning, perhaps. But parts of that could have been too. I guess in SW's mind there's a certain sound or style that has to be done if he's doing PT music. I don't agree with that - that band has evolved so much since he started it. It seems like he could go any direction with those particular musicians, just as he had on his solo recordings, or those with Blackfield or No-Man or Storm Corrosion

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Rolling Stone India, from about 6 weeks ago:

Does that mean that there is a danger that Porcupine Tree might fall by the wayside?

The honest answer is I don’t know. The solo career for me now is probably the most important. I think about it more than anything else, I’m more focussed on it than anything else, I enjoy it more than anything else and I’m brimming over with ideas. Whereas with Porcupine Tree, I’m not quite sure what to do with the band next. We’ve made 10 albums over a period of almost 20 years. The problem is, when you establish such a strong brand or trademark, and you spend years building it up, people expect you to become a machine, endlessly putting out an album, then touring. I promised myself many years ago that I would never ever allow myself to let this become a job. For me, it’s still about being very selfish and doing what I want to do. I know I’ve been fortunate that there seems to be enough people out there who respect me enough and still want to listen to whatever I do. Right now all my thoughts and energies are wrapped up in the excitement and the buzz I’m getting from the solo work.

At the very end of the interview he does go on to say he wants to get PT back together at some point. So who knows. I just wish PT was more active than it is at present.

In my, not so humble opinion, PT's last good album was Fear Of A Blank Planet, which from the interviews that Wilson gave at the time, was a album he felt compelled to make (compelled in a good, creative way). Wilson tried very hard to make FOABP a hit record, but it mostly got overlooked. After that, I felt the albums had their moments, but the spark was gone. I would not be troubled if PT called it a day, besides, my favorite PT era ends with Deadwing, which was a departure from the more prog-rock style, moving toward the Opeth thing that Wilson got obsessed with.

I think Insurgentes could easily have been a PT album. Not so much Grace for Drowning, perhaps. But parts of that could have been too. I guess in SW's mind there's a certain sound or style that has to be done if he's doing PT music. I don't agree with that - that band has evolved so much since he started it. It seems like he could go any direction with those particular musicians, just as he had on his solo recordings, or those with Blackfield or No-Man or Storm Corrosion

It reminds me a little of what Townshend went through in the mid-to-late '70s, only with less booze involved and more musical possibilities. I agree with you but I understand how he could compartmentalize certain sound ideas to PT vs. the other options.

I'm looking forward to the live Incident set, especially I finally unplugged the old 100 lb. Sony WEGA and got a modern bigger TV w/ blu-ray playing on its way.

Edited by Quincy