The Porcupine Tree Corner

Uncle Skid

Fear of a Blank Planet will be released in Europe and elsewhere on 18 April, and in the U.S. on 24 April.

Also, a couple of U.S. dates have been added (Detroit, Grand Rapids, Chicago, & Milwaukee). Here's the full tour plan:

Apr 18 2007 GLASGOW, UK: ABC

Apr 19 2007 NEWCASTLE, UK: Academy

Apr 20 2007 PRESTON, UK: 53 Degrees

Apr 22 2007 NOTTINGHAM, UK: Rock City

Apr 23 2007 WOLVERHAMPTON, UK: Wulfren

Apr 24 2007 BRISTOL, UK: Academy

Apr 25 2007 CAMBRIDGE, UK: Junction

Apr 26 2007 LONDON, UK: Forum

May 08 2007 SEATTLE, USA: Showbox

May 09 2007 PORTLAND, USA: Aladdin

May 11 2007 SAN FRANCISCO, USA: Warfield

May 12 2007 LOS ANGELES, USA: Avalon

May 13 2007 ANAHEIM, USA: Grove of Anaheim

May 15 2007 BOULDER, USA: Fox Theatre

May 17 2007 CHICAGO, USA: Park West

May 18 2007 CLEVELAND, USA: House of Blues

May 19 2007 NEW YORK, USA: Nokia Theater

May 22 2007 BALTIMORE, USA: Ram's Head

May 23 2007 PHILADELPHIA, USA: Electric Factory

May 25 2007 BOSTON, USA: Roxy

May 26 2007 MONTREAL, CANADA: Spectrum de Montreal

May 27 2007 QUEBEC, CANADA: Salle Albert - Rousseau

May 28 2007 TORONTO, CANADA: Danforth Music Hall

May 30 2007 DETROIT, USA: The Majestic

May 31 2007 GRAND RAPIDS, USA: Intersection

Jun 01 2007 CHICAGO, USA: Park West

Jun 02 2007 MILWAUKEE, USA: The Rave

Jun 17 2007 Interlaken, Switzerland: Greenfield Festival

Jun 23 2007 Neuhausen, Germany: Southside Festival

Jun 24 2007 Scheesel, Germany: Hurricane Festival

Jul 14 2007 FINLAND: Ilosaarirock Festival

Anyone going to see Porcupine Tree on this tour? I've already got my tickets for Seattle.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might try to catch them in Grand Rapids.

How much did tickets cost for the Seattle show?

I think they were 25-30 dollar range. I bought a VIP ticket through PT's website, so I could get a T-shirt & signed poster :cool: , so I had to pay over the regular price.

Edited by Matthew

Newbury Comics is offering autographed versions of Fear of a Blank Planet for preorder, if anyone's interested! Just like the previous autographed version of Blackfield II. Good deal, and as cheap as anywhere else you'll find it ($11.85).

All autographed pre-orders are now sold out (both the regular cd edition and the CD+DVD-V).

Newbury Comics is offering autographed versions of Fear of a Blank Planet for preorder, if anyone's interested! Just like the previous autographed version of Blackfield II. Good deal, and as cheap as anywhere else you'll find it ($11.85).

All autographed pre-orders are now sold out (both the regular cd edition and the CD+DVD-V).

Yea for me! Got a single cd just under the wire. :cool:

PS: And my signed Blackfield II shipped yesterday. Steve Wilson now joins Andy Partridge & Colin Moulding in my signed cd pantheon.

Edited by Matthew

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, if I'm not mistaken, this is the week for Fear Of A Blank Planet to be coming out! I haven't looked forward to a release this intensely since Apple Venus. I hope Newbury Comics is sending this one quick.

Yep, it's this week! I got an email Thursday saying mine had been dispatched, so I'm hoping mine shows up on Monday. Really looking forward to this too!

Hey, if I'm not mistaken, this is the week for Fear Of A Blank Planet to be coming out! I haven't looked forward to a release this intensely since Apple Venus. I hope Newbury Comics is sending this one quick.

Yep, it's this week! I got an email Thursday saying mine had been dispatched, so I'm hoping mine shows up on Monday. Really looking forward to this too!

My signed cd finally arrived in the mail this morning (sorry SW, you have a long way to go to catch up with Andy & Colin), and I'm going have to listen to this a couple of times this weekend. Aggie, how do you like it so far?

My signed cd finally arrived in the mail this morning (sorry SW, you have a long way to go to catch up with Andy & Colin), and I'm going have to listen to this a couple of times this weekend. Aggie, how do you like it so far?

Glad yours finally arrived, Matthew!

I like Fear of a Blank Planet alot! It's very cohesive. It hasn't grabbed me right off the bat like Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun did (those are still the PT-pinnacle for me), but it's very much in line (and a progression from) IA and Deadwing. I hear more in it with every spin, and like the contrast between the heavier moments and the mellower stuff.

I think Richard Barbieri did a great job on this album too. He's not an instrumental wizard ala Wakeman or someone who noodles, but adds alot of color and feel to the music, and is underrated in the whole PT sound, I think.

I may end up liking Fear better than IA and Deadwing over time, though both of those have moments of real beauty on them.

Let us know what you think, after a few spins. Also the Blackfield II.

Picked up a copy of Fear of a Blank Planet last night. I haven't had time to digest it properly, but so far, so good. At this point, I like it better than Deadwing.

The feel of the title track recalls Signify, and My Ashes recalls parts of Sever, which delights me greatly. I've listened through the 1st half of Anesthetize. I was kind of disappointed with Alex Lifeson's guest solo spot on that tune. I love Alex's playing in general, but the blues cliches seemed out of place----maybe not esoteric enough for where SW is bringing PT right now.

I wish I could catch 'em on the US tour starting in May, but I don't think I'll be able. A prog friend of mine passed along an (ahem) RoIO of a show from last week. The new material has balls a-plenty.

Edited by jmjk

Re: "Fear of a Blank Planet" and "Stupid Dream":

After only a few spins each, and reserving the right to change my mind, of course, I prefer the older record. My initial impression is that there is more variety, shading, and subtlety in "Stupid Dream". I was pleasantly surprised to hear saxophone and flute(!) on a record that also has some pretty hard rockin' moments. I think jmjk mentioned it earlier, but Chris Maitland's drumming was also a highlight for me.

I suppose it's inevitable that PT would be compared to Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead et. al., but the 2nd tune on Fear sounds like Houses of the Holy or Physical Graffiti -- but in a good way. PT gets that balance of light/heavy done in a way that works for me. But, I also hear things that remind me of Disintegration-era Cure (among other things), so it's hard to generalize.

Overall, :tup to both records...

I was only able to listen to Fear of a Blank Planet twice over the weekend, and I'm kind of underwhelmed by it; it's good but it has a been there, done that vibe for me. I'll have to really sit down and listen to it this week and maybe hearing the songs in concert next week will help also (eat your heart out everyone :P ). So, I'm holding off on a definite opinion at this point.

edit: spelling

Edited by Matthew

I'd love to see this material live, I think it would help with my appreciation of it a bit more.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to give a re-evaluation of Fear yet. The album is solid to me, but doesn't seem to have some of the hooks that the last few albums have had in spades.

And I agree with you Matthew, in that it doesn't seem to tread much new ground. Though a "holding pattern" album from PT isn't necessarily a bad thing compared to alot of what passes for rock n roll these days.

I'd love to see this material live, I think it would help with my appreciation of it a bit more.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to give a re-evaluation of Fear yet. The album is solid to me, but doesn't seem to have some of the hooks that the last few albums have had in spades.

And I agree with you Matthew, in that it doesn't seem to tread much new ground. Though a "holding pattern" album from PT isn't necessarily a bad thing compared to alot of what passes for rock n roll these days.

I wonder if Wilson is spreading himself too thin with all his side projects. I was much more impressed with Blackfield II than FOABP, it seemed much fresher, more creative, and even in that cd, the leftover PT cut was the weakest. Hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see PT go on a hiatus after this tour *sigh*. :(

One thing to remember is that this material (unlike anything that PT did before) was essentially created on the road last fall, where they fine tuned it while touring, then jumped into a studio to record it.

Maybe this will end up being a one-time experiment they don't end up repeating. And maybe a little break wouldn't be a bad idea, and would allow Wilson to more slowly develop the next PT material.

Here's someone's review I picked up off of a PT board, that's kind of interesting. It brings up a point that might be relevant for me - the title track, which kicks things off, may be the weakest track on the album. I think that might have something to do with the album's initial underwhelming feel, for me.

One thing I do like is the last 5-6 minutes of Anesthetize, and then following that up with Sentimental. Right now that may be one of the strongest points of the album. And the last track does have a bit of an modern "Kashmir" feel to it in places, kind of following on Uncle Skid's Led Zep comment earlier.

This may be band's best album since Lightbulb Sun (2000). It does have moments that remind you of In Absentia (2002) and Deadwing (2005); however, it also hearkens back to their earlier period of hugely epic and more progressive works. The band does this by still managing to showcase their tight rhythm section and heavier sound of recent years (the title track is a good example), but they are making a true progressive album here. I even felt like they were experimenting like P-Tree of old without having to emulate Tool or go all heavy and on every other meter. Clocking in at roughly 50 minutes, this is a shorter effort, but it flows well and is very together in its conceptual theme. That theme is about our youths' "zombified" state-of-mind, and to a lesser degree, our apathetic public. The album also contains what I may now consider my all-time favorite piece by this band.

At first I was not too impressed by the single cut of the title track. The "radio edit" felt abrupt and didn't flow well at just over four minutes. As suspected, the album version is not only longer (7-1/2) but more cohesive, and therefore, better. If you are familiar with their last album Deadwing, this will remind you a lot of it. Though lyrically, the song sets the theme of the album, musically, it kind of feels like leftovers from the Deadwing material. If there is a weak moment, this might actually be it. 6/10

"My Ashes" is the shortest of the albums six tracks. The song is one of several on this album that revisits Steven Wilson's obsession with older-hat progressive rock. Musically, nothing really here that the band has not already explored. But it is has a relaxing symphonic sound that bridges between songs that feature much heavier anthems. I dig it. 8/10

"Anesthetize" is a classic. This is a song I will play years from now. So many things I can say about it. I will start by showing off the band. If ever a track existed in P-Tree's catalog to showcase them to new listeners, this has to be that song. Everything about this band is in here. At certain moments they're ethereal, at others Wilson is stuck in a Gilmour-esque guitar solo. Now jam through a rockin' interlude, then clinch your fist while they thrash into some death metal of black-hole like destruction -- all this to be glued together in the middle by one of the best rock jams the band has yet produced. The lyrics are a social critique of our "pharmaceuticalized, tv-zombified, and apathy-ridden" generation. This song vents the fark out of it and then transitions into a very beautiful track, "Sentimental." 10/10

A track that flashes back to Porcupine Tree's mid-90s material; however, you may also be reminded of melodic moments of In Absentia (2002). In fact, this may be the "Trains" of the album. As of right now, "Sentimental" is my second favorite track. The chorus is beautiful. A nice soft progressive track here to follow a juggernaut. The album is flowing very well. 10/10

As you listen into "Way Out of Here," you immediately wonder if you are listening to a song written by Roger Waters. This song has a VERY late Waters-era Pink Floyd or Waters solo career sound at the beginning. Do I here The Final Cut? Amused to Death? Oh wait, there's a beautiful harmonizing chorus followed by a lovely guitar solo, but I know this isn't David Gilmour. Anyway, enough with the Floyd. No really, enough of those grumpy old men. Out of nowhere, THRASH METAL!!! How does that work? Also, I might mention that Wilson's lyrical abilities keep getting better with each album. 9/10

The final track "Sleep Together" feels very reminiscent of something off of Lightbulb Sun (2000). But this song includes some lovely cello samples in the background and I love the string arrangements. They work very well with the tone and theme of the song. Solid experimentation for an album closer. 8/10

Overall, I am satisfied with this album. Again, I don't know if this is their best album; however, it is a very good conceptual work. Though it is only 50 minutes long, it still feels like a very satisfying or filling listen. And well, having become bored now, I think I'll go worship my Xbox, pop some pills, roam a mall or two, hate my family, stare at MTV for 8 hours a day, ignore my government, have some sex and sleep all my days away, seeing as how I'm through with this review.

Overall rating - 8.5/10

Edited by Aggie87

Opened the Arts & Entertainment pull-out of the local rag, The Seattle Post-Intelligence this morning, expecting some kind of mention of the Porcupine Tree concert this Tuesday -- nada; didn't even have a check mark of recommendation next to the listing. However, they had a nice, long article on the Sippy Cups, who turn out to be a band that focuses on children's music. Good thing I live to close to hip 'n happening Seattle, where we pat ourselves on the back about how cool we are or I might have missed out on the Sippy Cups, heaven forbid!. Imagine expecting something about one the best rock bands playing now, what was I thinking.... <_<

Edited by Matthew

Opened the Arts & Entertainment pull-out of the local rag, The Seattle Post-Intelligence this morning, expecting some kind of mention of the Porcupine Tree concert this Tuesday -- nada; didn't even have a check mark of recommendation next to the listing. However, they had a nice, long article on the Sippy Cups, who turn out to be a band that focuses on children's music. Good thing I live to close to hip 'n happening Seattle, where we pat ourselves on the back about how cool we are or I might have missed out on the Sippy Cups, heaven forbid!. Imagine expecting something about one the best rock bands playing now, what was I thinking.... <_<

That sounds like a band that Steven Wilson should check out for the next edition in his Cover Series. :D

That sounds like a band that Steven Wilson should check out for the next edition in his Cover Series. :D

You never know. Fear of a Blank Planet is turning into a bummer for me, the more I listen to it, the less I like it. Seems as if PT is in a holding pattern. Maybe seeing them Tuesday will change my mind about it.

Report from last night: Great show! Technical sanfu (computer troubles) causes Wilson to launch an impromptu acoustic set, causing Steve to quote from Spinal Tap: "It's not funny being part of the comedy on stage." Music was very good, emphasis is now on the Hard Rock side, when Wilson played "Sever," after the song is over he says: "For those of you with blank looks on your faces, that was from our "Psychedelic Phase" -- he even did the rabbit ear thing when he said "psychedelic phase," not quite sure how to take that. Anyway, nice vibe from the crowd, and best of all, I was about six feet from the stage for the show, and what was perfect, the people in front of me were shorter, so I had an uninterrupted view of the stage, I was about eight feet from Wilson. Very cool when he would come to the edge of the stage in front of me, rocking with his guitar, if I wanted to, I could almost touch him (hope I'm not sounding too girlie here :P ). The music was primo, but the music form FoaBP was uneven: Anesthetize was fantastic, Way Out Of Here and Sleep Together were the set closers, and sounded much better live than on the cd. Ashes however, is just a terrible song, and nothing can save, even live it stunk. Overall, it was a wonderful concert, even with the technical problems, PT were pros about it and did what was needed to keep the show going.

PS: I thought 3 stunk....

For those interested, or going to a later concert, here's the set list from last night:

Fear of a Blank Planet

Lightbulb Sun

My Ashes

Anesthetize

*technical malfunction*

Trains

*end technical malfunction*

Open Car

Gravity Eyelids

Sentimental

Blackest Eyes

Half Light

Sever

Way Out of Here

Sleep Together

-

Even Less <-- Dropped due to technical delay

Mother and Child Divided

Halo

Trains was the acoustic filler while waiting for the computer malfunction.

Nice setlist, though for my tastes I'd like to see a bit more diversity on there, not just the most recent stuff. But I'm not in the band, so I guess I don't get a say. :P

Too bad about "Even Less", that's a GREAT track (too bad about all of the glitches!). Just listened to the full length version on "Recordings" last night.

Sounds like you had a great view of the show as well. Did John Wesley play with the band again? He is a great contributor to their live sound, as well as being an all around nice guy. I have talked to him a couple of different times after PT shows and once when he opened for Marillion as well, years ago.

What or who is "3" from your postcript? Do you mean the song ".3" from In Absentia?