Charles Tolliver Big Band

Just received this :

CHARLES TOLLIVER BIG BAND

at the Jazz Standard September 27 and 28, 2003

The Jazz Standard is proud to present the long overdue first club appearance ever of the Charles Tolliver Big Band. Mr. Tolliver recorded two critically acclaimed big band records for the Strata-East label in the 1970s which featured the likes of Jon Faddis, Jimmy Heath, George Coleman, Curtis Fuller, Clifford Jordan, Harold Vick, James Spaulding and many other greats but never performed live with the band. Joining Mr. Tolliver for this historic occasion are:

Jon Faddis, David Guy, Keyon Harrold, David Weiss- Trumpets

Clark Gayton, Jason Jackson, Aaron Johnson- Trombone

Gary Bartz and James Spaulding- Alto Sax

Gary Thomas and Craig Handy- Tenor Sax

Howard Johnson- Baritone Sax

Stanley Cowell- Piano

Ugonna Okegwo- Bass

Billy Drummond- Drums

Sets at 7:30, 9:30 and 11:30 pm September 27

and 7:30 and 9:30 pm September 28

Sometimes I wish I lived in NYC.

Well I no longer live in NYC, but I am still close enough that I will make every effort to catch this show. Saw Tolliver this past March with Stanley Cowell, Cecil McBee and Billy Drummond and it was a special performance. Looking forward to this one. INCREDIBLE PERSONNEL!!!

I'm away from my music right now, but what was the name of the Tolliver big band side- "Impact" or something like that? What a great listen that one is. I think George Coleman and James Spaulding were on it, right? High energy, high intensity and some very interesting writing.

Rooster, a little help?

P.S. it looks like a laurel and hearty handshake is in order for the return of PFunk.......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Jazz Standard

THU - SUN FEBRUARY 17 - 20

Charles Tolliver Big Band

Charles Tolliver - trumpet

James Spaulding - alto sax

Billy Harper - tenor sax

Craig Handy - alto & tenor sax

Bill Saxton - tenor sax

Howard Johnson - baritone sax

Winston Byrd - trumpet

David Weiss - trumpet

Keyon Harrold - trumpet

Jason Jackson - trombone

Barry Cooper - trombone

Aaron Johnson - trombone

Xavier Davis - piano

Cecil McBee - bass

Ralph Peterson - drums

Trumpeter Charles Tolliver was a youthful star soloist with the Gerald Wilson Orchestra even before he joined Max Roach's band in 1967. Tolliver appeared on important recordings by Jackie McLean (Action, Blue Note), Booker Ervin (Structurally Sound, Pacific Jazz), and Andrew Hill (Dance With Death, Blue Note); in 1971, he and pianist Stanley Cowell co-founded the innovative Strata-East record label. "Charles Tolliver's horn style," declared Down Beat, "is possessed of a melodic warmth and compactness of expression shared by few other trumpeters."

+++

I nearly jumped out of my chair when I saw this! We're planning a trip to NYC that same week to see the Christo Gates (among other things). THIS is more exciting to me than the gates. I've been wanting to see CT for (literally) decades. I may have to go to more than one show. B-)

... and look at that sax lineup!

... and Cecil McBee!

... and Ralph Peterson!

... and ...

Anyone else planning to see this??

Edited by BFrank

I saw him once as part of Louis Hayes' group (which also had John Stubblefield in the lineup) at a gig in Toronto back in 1990. Wasn't even expecting him in the lineup. The crackling trumpet sound and fine attack that Tolliver is noted for were both well in evidence that night.

Looks like BA has flights for less than £200 so I'm seriously considering this NY :excited: gig..

I have a CD of that Louis Hayes Sextet called "The Crawl" from 1989. Also includes Gary Bartz, Mickey Tucker and Clint Houston.

It's a good - surprisingly not great - album recorded at "new Birdland" 10/14/89.

Yes, same band. Bartz, Tucker and Houston were also in that lineup in Toronto, with the addition of Stubblefield. I agree with your comment about 'The Crawl'. An enjoyable album but a little bit sloppy in parts.

From what I recall, Tolliver was pretty low key in this lineup but his unique sound in the ensembles was most refreshing and his solos anything but predictable.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...For those of us who just can't get there for the show, I hope that a stuido session is on the horizon; especially if there is new material.

I have had "Impact" for years, and have always treasured it. I have been looking for the second Strata East CT Big Band LP - again, for years - unsuccessfully.

I don't imagine that these have ever made it to CD? If so, please tell me it's true!

I know JSangrey has both LPs. I will just have to bug him to burn me a copy of the other LP (what is that one called btw?)