Stan Getz At The Shrine

jazzhound

Guest youmustbe

I had never heard this, never really wanted to. But I found the 2lp set, perfect condition for 10 bucks and figured what the heck!

Blew me away!! Yeah, Stan is 'The Natural'!!!!

I had never heard this, never really wanted to. But I found the 2lp set, perfect condition for 10 bucks and figured what the heck!

Blew me away!! Yeah, Stan is 'The Natural'!!!!

I avoided Stan for a long time thinking that his bossa stuff was pretty much all there was...Well a friend of mine pointed out my mistake and told me to get 'early' Stan or 'late' Stan.....how right he was..

Stan is the man....there is a lot to enjoy there.

Interesting, slightly different feel on that record, and I believe it was bit more apparent there than on any studio album made by that group -- a kind of Mulligan-esque, noodling groove. I know that Brookmeyer's time with Mulligan followed his stint with Getz, but much of it stems from Brookmeyer, I think, and the rest from John Williams and Frank Isola. It's like the time feel is a walking/talking/kicking-a-can-down-the-road thing, with a good deal less of the mercurial, bop-like fluidity that was typical at any tempo of Getz's quintet with Jimmy Raney. I like both, but this approach, again, seemed a bit different. The difference is epitomized, as I recall, by "Tasty Pudding" (Johnny Mandel's piece I think) -- both the piece itself and the groove they get on it. I guess you could say neo-Basie as well as Mulligan-esque, but something definitely was in the air along those lines at that time.

And it's Art Mardigan, not Isola, on most of the tracks. In addition to the feel of the tune, I think I had Mandel in mind because of the title's play on words ("Hasty Pudding/Tasty Pudding"), a la Mandel"s "Keester Parade" and "Groover Wailin'" ( off of NYC's one-time celebrated civic greeter, Grover Whalen).

A somewhat little-known (I believe) but superb Getz album from the '50s (AFAIK never out on CD, at least in the US) is "The Soft Swing" from 1957, with Mose Allison, Addison Farmer, and Jerry Segal. It's maybe the most rhythmically relaxed Getz on record.

The Soft Swing was released on CD in Japan in 1999, Verve POCJ-2721. You're right though, it was never issued on CD in the United States.

Great album :tup

This really deserves to be in print. It's one of my favorite live albums, and a fantastic Getz session! The whole band was on fire that night!

I had to move heaven and earth to get the OOP CD, but I'm glad I did!

I got the old CD fairly easily from a private seller on Amazon.com. I sold my Japanese copy.

I had to move heaven and earth to get the OOP CD, but I'm glad I did!

How much heaven, and how much earth?? -- if you don't mind me asking.

Well, not that much, really. But it was not available ANYWHERE on-line at the time. I had to do one of those deals at Amazon where you pre-order, and if a copy comes up that's in your price-range, you get it. I had to wait almost a year before someone put a copy up for sale...

I know At the Shrine is a critically acclaimed album, but for some reason I have never liked it very much and I love Getz. I can think of at least a dozen of his I like better off the top of my head.

Like many jazz musicians who had a reasonably lengthy career, Getz went through a number of different periods. The Getz of the quintet with Raney and Al Haig is different than the quintet with Brookmeyer and John Williams, which is different from the Verve recordings with Lou Levy, and then the Bossa Nova period, the time with Chick Corea, and then eventually on to the group with kenny Barron. I left out a number but you get the point.

The sensibility of the quintet with Brookmeyer and John Williams as typified by the Shrine recording is a musical delight. I would not say it was better or worse than many (though not all) of the other Getz periods/groups. The great thing is that we have all of them to enjoy.