Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

DId anyone see the cable show "Accidental Fortune" last night? I don't recall the station that carries that series. Good stuff.

Anyway, this episode had a lady on whose father used to be the pilot for Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, et al.

For over 40 years she has had in her possession an old (mint) sunburst Fender Strat. Her father said it was left on the plane after he flew back from the Newport Folk Festival in '65....the year that Dylan went electric and freaked everyone out, esp. Pete Seeger. lol

At any rate, inside the case there were also some lyric worksheets, etc. She contacted the producers of the series and they took up the challenge to see if they could prove if that guitar was THE guitar that Dylan played that night.

Long story short they did prove that it was the guitar! Amazing.

The women had contacted Dylan's lawyers after so many years had past. Her dad had also tried to rach Dylan to no avail. Apparently he didn't care to retrieve the Strat. Maybe the experienc eof being booed so heartily affected him who knows.

The appraisers said that the guitar alone would most likely bring close to $500K at auction. And the lyric work sheets (in his handwriting and his typed words too) would fetch around $20-30K. Amazing.

By the way, the guitar was spotless. Mint as could be. Made in 1964.

Correction: the program was "History Detectives" PBS.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/life/entertainment/article/264845/19/Has-Bob-Dylans-guitar-been-found

And Dylan's camp claims he has the guitar. Who knows. Interesting story.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For folks with Spotify, here's a playlist I put together of Dylan covers.

http://open.spotify....z3SzspDFWraEuHU

Among my favorites are Ann Peebles doing "Tonight I'll be Staying Here with You," Marlene Dietrich's "Blowin' in the Wind," Flatt & Scruggs' "Down in the Flood," The Ramones' "My Back Pages," Isaac Hayes' "Lay Lady Lay," Anthony & the Johnsons' "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and Nina Simone's "Ballad of Hollis Brown."

I love Richie Havens' version of "Just Like A Woman" from the 30th Anniversary concert, probably my favorite Dylan cover.

Edited by Shawn

I love Richie Havens' version of "Just Like A Woman" from the 30th Anniversary concert, probably my favorite Dylan cover.

Just LIke A Woman was originally recorded as part of my favorite Haven LP, Mixed Bag. That one is chock full of great tunes. What always fascinated me about Havens is how easily he could take other people's songs and make them sound like they were uniquely his own.

DId anyone see "History Detectives" last night? I don't recall the station that carries that series. Good stuff.

Anyway, this episode had a lady on whose father used to be the pilot for Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, et al.

For over 40 years she has had in her possession an old (mint) sunburst Fender Strat. Her father said it was left on the plane after he flew back from the Newport Folk Festival in '65....the year that Dylan went electric and freaked everyone out, esp. Pete Seeger. lol

At any rate, inside the case there were also some lyric worksheets, etc. She contacted the producers of the series and they took up the challenge to see if they could prove if that guitar was THE guitar that Dylan played that night.

Long story short they did prove that it was the guitar! Amazing.

Saw it. Absolutely fascinating. I was also amused by the story about Seeger running around backstage trying to get the sound people to shut off the electricity so Dylan couldn't play. The investigation involving the Frank Zappa artwork was also very intriguing.

I'm proud to say the History Detectives is locally produced by Oregon Public Broadcasting for PBS.

Edited by Dave James

what was that about Zappa's artwork?

Some guy who bought the painting at a thrift store for $5, noticed that it was signed with the initials FZ. That got him thinking about whether those initials might have stood for Frank Zappa. He contacted the History Detectives and, as they do, they set out to prove or disprove its provenance. They would up talking to Zappa's brother and one of the foremost authorities on Zappa lore, neither of whom could recall Frank doing anything like this, although they did point out that he worked for a greeting card company as an artist at one time and that he also had a hand some television commercials that involved both graphics and electronic music. What finally settled the issue was a visit with Zappa's wife who met the investigator at a place called "The Professional Drum Shop" in Los Angeles. As it turns out, the painting was an original and its subject was the drum shop. Zappa started out as a drummer and spent a lot of time at this store in the early 60's. They were even able to show some of the objects that Zappa painted including an old boxing ring bell that they used to rent out for sound effects. Like I said, very interesting.

Here's the whole show if anyone is interested in watching it. My link

• 1 month later...

Can Your Non-Retirement Rock Like Bob Dylan's?

If AARP designated a Person of the Year, Bob Dylan would be a shoo-in — except for one detail. The 71-year-old Dylan is anything but retired.

And that epitomizes one of Dylan's greatest achievements: longevity. He is six years past the accepted age of retirement in the United States, yet he is still rocking on. Dylan's 35th studio album, "Tempest," is out today.

More here:

WSJ

I can still remember the days when a new Dylan, Coltrane, Cecil, and albums by a few others would be released and I'd go out to buy it on the day it hit the stores. Don't have that feeling about any music these days. Different me and different times.

I know - another old guy's post.

Edited by paul secor

I just listened to this one for the first time. Very impressive! This strikes me as certainly his best since Time Out Of Mind, and in the same league as that one.

Gave it a first spin yesterday - and indeed it's excellent! Not sure about TOOM, but it's definitively better than "Modern Times", which again was better than the last one ... but I love "Love and Theft", and the new one to me sounds more like a continuation, so it's more of a comparison point to me than TOOM (which I absolutely love, btw, I think a wee bit more than "Love and Theft").

One of the things I like about the albums of the last 10 or so years is that it sounds like a great bar band but with a take on a wide range of American vernacular music. The sad thing is that you'd never get to hear it in a bar; just an aircraft hanger somewhere.

Dylan's lyrics have always baffled me so I don't need them to make sense; but I do notice over these last few records an awful lot of stock phrases frompopular music used.

Maybe it's what I recall reading in a book about the Liverpool Poets many moons ago - the rejuvination (or was it reinvigoration) of the cliche.

Edited by A Lark Ascending