Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

Dylan's songs of the last number of years are pastiches both lyrical and musical of his voracious musical appetites. Have you ever heard any of this Theme Time Radio programs? Fabulous stuff, great deadpan banter.

No - I wish I'd listened to them when they were broadcast here.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Bob's creative plagiarism. When I first heard Bye & Bye on Love & Theft I thought, what song is that? and it struck me, "I'm Havin' Myself a Time," which Lady Day did.

There is a reason he called it Love & Theft. ;) He's been "borrowing" from forever. He's even "borrowed" for album covers. As in, Modern Times....and the music/lyrics involved have a great deal of "borrowing" in general.

I really liked this one. His voice is more shredded than ever....but he somehow makes it work for him.

Edited by Blue Train

My favourite comment on Bob Dylan was from some unsympathetic reviewer which went to this effect:

"How someone can play mouth organ professionally for half a century and still show no signs of progress is beyond me."

Wouldn't want to be without that wail but the comment still makes me chuckle.

My favourite comment on Bob Dylan was from some unsympathetic reviewer which went to this effect:

"How someone can play mouth organ professionally for half a century and still show no signs of progress is beyond me."

Wouldn't want to be without that wail but the comment still makes me chuckle.

Yeah, even Ornette's violin playing has improved.

• 9 months later...

The defining moment in the second half of Bob Dylan's long career came in early June 1988. The scene was the hills above Berkeley, Calif. It was a gorgeous evening; the sun had just set over the Golden Gate Bridge. The singer, in a dark frock coat, stepped to the stage at the University of California's Greek Theater. A backing band of three musicians introduced a crackling riff, and Mr. Dylan began to growl one of his most memorable songs:

More here:

WSJ

• 3 weeks later...

Columbia Records will release Bootleg Series Vol 10: Another Self Portrait (1969-1971) by Bob Dylan on 27 August 2013.

This latest volume of the long-running Bootleg Series includes unreleased recordings, demos and alternate takes drawn mainly from the 1970 studio recording sessions that resulted in Self Portrait and New Morning albums. In total 35 rarities and previously unreleased recordings including a previously unavailable version of Only A Hobo and the demo version of When I Paint My Masterpiece.

Another Self Portrait will be offered in two-disc and four-disc configurations, with the latter taking the form of a deluxe box set, which will include for the first time the complete performance by Bob Dylan and The Band from the Isle of Wight Festival on August 31, 1969. The box set comes in a slip case and will also include the newly remastered version of the 1970 Self Portrait album, in its entirety with original sequencing, in addition to two hardcover books.

See here:

Super Deluxe Edition

I've owned a bootleg of the Isle of Wight concert for many years. The 3 tracks from there on Self Portrait have a very odd sound quality; I wonder whether Sony has improved on it. Interestingly, there's an amateur video (!) of the concert on YouTube. New Morning has always been one of my favorite records.

There's further info online about this set indicating that Sony went back to the master takes and mastered the concert for better sound, especially mixing down the vocals. I bet it sounds good.

This period of Dylan has long fascinated me, I'm looking forward to this.

I have to say this is by far the least essential of all 10 volumes - only the Isle of Wright has any interest but not for $140.... Recently bought a mint self portrait at the flea mkt for $1 and feel like I paid too much - and I once flew to Maine just to see Bob in a theater.

I see this sort of comment all the time and I'm at another extreme. I bought the two lp set when it came out and was fascinated and have been ever since. Parody, hommage, it's all wrapped up in there in a deliberately confusing bow.This one, New Morning, Planet Wave, and Blood on the Tracks are a series of albums I really have found more and more in listening over the years. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Although I was a fan of Oh Mercy I never imagined Tell Tale Signs would be as great as it was. So I'm looking forward to this set, or at least the 2 disc flavor. Wight just never grabbed me and I don't think it was just the mix, though who knows. I'll risk that it that it'll be sold separately in 2 years or less if the remaster of couple of tracks included put it over the top. I was also glad to hear that more material from the Basement Tapes was found beyond the multi-disc bootleg that circulates. Now they have an excuse for that one not being out already.

• 2 months later...

The word is Columbia Records is preparing the ultimate Bob Dylan box set– a collection of all his albums including his bootleg series. The massive box will be a Dylanographer’s delight, collecting every single track including single tracks like “George Jackson” that never made into onto an album. There will also be a couple of CDs with miscellaneous tracks, so that just about everything you ever heard, had, lost, or wanted is all in one place. The price for this super collection is said to be $300–but there’s an upside. I am told that there will be a code so buyers can download the whole thing for free as well.

Taken from: Forbes

Volume One coming in November.

I think there's a mistake in the album listing here, Shot of Love should be newly remastered for the collection, and I doubt Street Legal is.

Quite a box! I'm in just because. Mainly because of the newly remastered albums. I can sell off or give away many previous Dylan cds.

The word is Columbia Records is preparing the ultimate Bob Dylan box set– a collection of all his albums including his bootleg series. The massive box will be a Dylanographer’s delight, collecting every single track including single tracks like “George Jackson” that never made into onto an album. There will also be a couple of CDs with miscellaneous tracks, so that just about everything you ever heard, had, lost, or wanted is all in one place. The price for this super collection is said to be $300–but there’s an upside. I am told that there will be a code so buyers can download the whole thing for free as well.

Taken from: Forbes

Volume One coming in November.

Picked up the "Another Self Portrait" set this week & a promo card advertising this massive upcoming set was included

Will probably pass on this - not really interested in much of his late 70's & 80's output

The mono set, bootleg series & 2000 to now releases will suffice

Has "Blood On The Tracks" been recently remastered - not on the list of remasters for this set

What I am really hanging out for is an official release of the complete "Basement Tapes" - will this ever eventuate

Edited by romualdo