Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

Wow, $20 for the 2-cd set and $150 for the 6 cd's?... Pretty lame pricing, unless they want people to jump in when it drops back down to $90 or so.

They did the same thing on the Self-Portrait set, and I have resisted the deluxe version, even though it is the only major missing piece in my Dylan collection.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, $20 for the 2-cd set and $150 for the 6 cd's?... Pretty lame pricing, unless they want people to jump in when it drops back down to $90 or so.

They did the same thing on the Self-Portrait set, and I have resisted the deluxe version, even though it is the only major missing piece in my Dylan collection.

The Self Portrait set was the first deluxe set I bought, and it was only for the Isle of Wight disc (which is pretty great). I must say that the books and presentation are handsome, but (IMHO) the music and approach didn't live up to the price (I saw no real integration of the Self Portrait and New Morning sessions, or a coherent overview of what was going on with Dylan during that time; Greil Marcus's essay was unimpressive). I will probably buy the 6-CD set, but agree about the too-high price. Hopefully, someplace like amazon.co.uk will have it for less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I listened to the track "Yea Heavy! (And A Bottle Of Bread)" this morning, and it crystallized for me one of my ambivalent feelings about this box. I've known this song now for 40 years or so, and still have no idea what it's about. Dylan could be singing in a foreign language, for all the clarity this track gives me. Then, every so often, there's a line that makes me laugh, such as "Slap that drummer with a pie that smells." That could come out of Trout Mask Replica! So I fear that the accompanying book will "explain it all to me," tell me what Dylan was talking about, put it in its historic context, tell me which incident he's obliquely referring to, etc etc etc. I don't know that I want any of that. It's like, if I'm struggling with a puzzle, I don't want someone to give me the answer. But more that I have "my" experience with this song, and now the package will give me how I'm supposed to react to this song.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Broke down and bought the box. Liner notes are wonderful; maybe I'm just a sucker for pictures of reel-to-reel tapes.

Oh, the box included a flyer for a new Dylan album, "Shadows In The Night," to be released next year. The cover design will be very familiar to Blue Note fans. I suppose it comes full circle because Reid Miles created the cover for the 1975 release of The Basement Tapes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The notes say that Million Dollar Bash is one of only two instances where Dylan play harmonica. What's the other one? The 2nd take?

It's quite the barstool trivia. He plays harmonica on Warren Zevon's "The Factory" from the 1987 album Sentimental Hygiene. So his doing 3 covers or so on the tour after Zevon died make more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoying disc 3 of the Basement Tapes box (disc 2 was a bit of a wasteland, but disc 3 is allllllllll right). These tracks and that sound are part of my DNA; The Great White Wonder was the first Dylan album I bought, at age 14. I'm struck again by the quality of the accompaniment; Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson are otherworldly. The liner notes make clear something I never connected before: that there's no drummer on most of these tracks. Sure doesn't sound like it; simply incredible. Also nice to have the veneer of noise, dust and fog removed from the familiar tracks.

Many are going to hate this new album (many without even listening to more than a few seconds here and there). I'm very interested to hear it, I think it will hold some fascinating moments. I'm not a Sinatra fan, but I am a Dylan fan and will enjoy hearing his interpretation of these songs.