Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

Thanks for that clarification, Jim.

Bob Dylan's music was so much a part of my growing up that I couldn't ever think of trying to give his art an objective evaluation. I just know that much of his music is very close to me and always will be.

All I know is that I've applied "Ballad Of A Thin Man" to both Life and to Jerry Jones's Cowboys early decline with equally satisfying profundity. If that ain't a classic/standard, i don't know what is, but if it ain't also the art of saying something that you can make anything out of it that you need, I don't what is, and if that ain't expert, artful manipulation in the creation of a legend, I don't what is, and if THAT ain't some people just roil with it, I don't know what is. Or as the slaying goes, it is what it is, so YOU make the call, right?

So for me, pop culture, can't live without it, can live without it, no matter where it goes, it finds you., so be prepared to enjoy responsibly, and always cut those coupons, even if you don't use them most of the time. Gotta keep the mindset (set) even after you lose the mind, no points deducted unless otherwise so.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that clarification, Jim.

Bob Dylan's music was so much a part of my growing up that I couldn't ever think of trying to give his art an objective evaluation. I just know that much of his music is very close to me and always will be.

All I know is that I've applied "Ballad Of A Thin Man" to both Life and to Jerry Jones's Cowboys early decline with equally satisfying profundity.

Good song, good album-- vastly better than blithering doggerel dogshit like "Blood On The Tracks," which middlebrows extol because they figure-- not entirely incorrectly-- that if they apply themselves, they too can vomit forth that many lyrics-- no quality control. It also shows up what crap Dylan's current vocals are, his current standards drivel most definitely included.

Side Q: did you read & if so, have an opinion on Joe Nick Patoski's Cowboys book from a couple years ago?

Speaking of Sinatra--

LK, more on Lenny the man, did you read DeLillo "Underworld" & if not, if so, go back to section five, "Better Thingds For Better Living Through Chemistry" which has five uncanny Lenny Bruce routines set during the week of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Highly highly recommended whatever one's past feelings might be DeLillo.

I believe Fosse originally wanted Cliff Gorman for the movie but who's Cliff Gorman?

The commentary track on the Criterion "All That Jazz" with the film's editor Alan Heim is exceptional. (Most Criterion discs are padded with this filler, this one isn't, not that Heim's insight's are 'necessary,' but they are illuminating.)

Edited by MomsMobley

"I believe Fosse originally wanted Cliff Gorman for the movie but who's Cliff Gorman?"

A much better choice than Hoffman, whose unshakably putz-like, "Please, like me" persona distorted everything.

I'll look for "Underworld," which I've not read, Delillo not being for me I decided way back when. In fact, "Underworld" may have been the book that formed that decision. In any case, I'll look.

I'm surprised Tom T. Hall is still alive, wouldn't be surprised if Dylan had no idea that Hall's wife died recently, think Hall was a comparatively limited songwriter but passable for his period 40-odd years ago, Dylan was right to despise "I Love." My friends who put on the U. of Chicago folk festival ca. 1970 told me Hall performed there drunk and berated the audience (who included a number of Vietnam vets) for being unpatriotic and wearing blue jeans. Only time I heard Dylan live was his hit-and-run song at the televising of the John Hammond tribute in the '70s. The lyrics of a lot of his '60s songs were clever, intelligent, look good on the printed page - I hope his later songs maintained that standard.

Blood on the Tracks I consider a real masterpiece.

So do I. For some reason, I had mixed feelings about it when it first came out. I can't understand why now. There are some truly inspired songs on that album. Jerry Garcia thought so too, and continually played Simple Twist of Fate and Tangled Up in Blue for years.

Edited by John L

Just read that part of "Underworld," Moms. Very impressive, both for DeLillo and Lenny. I'll probably have to revise my feeling about the former. But as strong and painful (if those are the right words) as the Missile Crisis Bruce routines DeLillo records are, I don't see why they should make me change my mind about Kael's view of who Bruce was (which is pretty much my own) or about the movie "Lenny" either.

The only thing better than Blood on the Tracks is Blood on the Tracks with the original New York versions of some of the songs replacing the Minnesota versions. (I especially prefer the original version of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.) BTW I think I read that the next volume of the Bootleg Series may be devoted to BOTT.

The only thing better than Blood on the Tracks is Blood on the Tracks with the original New York versions of some of the songs replacing the Minnesota versions. (I especially prefer the original version of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.) BTW I think I read that the next volume of the Bootleg Series may be devoted to BOTT.

It's been a long time since I comnpared them, but my memory is that I prefered the remakes on all but one where I strongly prefered the original. FWIW, YMMV, etc. Interesting that Bob bothered to do that, he's generally one take or less....

It's been a long time since I comnpared them, but my memory is that I prefered the remakes on all but one where I strongly prefered the original. FWIW, YMMV, etc. Interesting that Bob bothered to do that, he's generally one take or less....

Supposedly he was visiting his brother who heard the original takes and thought they revealed too much about his marriage. Though that wouldn't account for all the remakes.

Blood on the Tracks I consider a real masterpiece. But I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it, there are lots of angry dudes on the internet with opinions different than mine and that's cool, let 'em rant, I just wish they could be happier.

I am not a *huge* Dylan fan, but that is one of my favorite albums of all time, any genre. "You're A Big Girl Now" is just devastating. Not that you want that all the time from your pop music, but it does not get any better than this.

Obviously I'm not going to argue what 'means' something to anyone but the idea that "Blood On The Tracks" has ANY 'emotional truth' or ANY 'literary value' (yuk yuk yuk) I-- and others-- can only ascribe to mass delusion. "Buckets of Rain" is a nice tune, John Renbourn covers it live along with Randy Weston "Little Niles." That middlebrow lit critics have gulled anyone-- including themselves-- that this shit "matters" just shows how little they cared for literature-- high and low-- to begin with. (Writer and editor types especially like "BOTR" because its achievement is obviously attainable; just keep throwing shit down, find a strophic tune that fits, don't worry about "editing" or concision or le mot juste or "Mo' Greens Please"... "BOTR" may or may not be a persuasive performance but that's a differnt story-- consult goodhearted Paul Williams.)

Dylan is still dogshit; "funny" his "camp" found Bill Flanagan to pimp Bob's fucking nonsense & he TOTALLY avoided the Tom T. Hall question. (Pimps don't deserve boldface.) What's the matter Bill and Bob, even the semblance of historical accuracy doesn't fit your $$$ or ego mad bitterness & deception?

Dixie Hall RIP, lest we forget the man some of ya'll admire--

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/01/17/dixie-hall-prolific-bluegrass-songwriter-dies/21914181/

And yet-- I'll grant ya'll "Watchtower" (won't give it to you, that's for Prince & Larry Graham doorknockers to do) & "Buckets of Rain"-- with Robin Williamson!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBU9pEQwtQE

Edited by MomsMobley

"A lot of people don't know this, but the blues, which is an American music, is not what you think it is. It's a combination of Arabic violins and Strauss waltzes working it out. But it's true."

What exactly is he trying to get at here?

It means he doesn't know WTF he's talking about; typical-- the idiot wind is within-- but there's likely some schmoe who'll annotate it instead of reading or re-reading George Washington Cable (who?) & knuckleheads will say... oooh, that's "America," that's "poetry" (sic.)

Mark, for a few sides to that very interesting question of inventing the blues, I suggest you listen to this presentation the great & heavy collector, record producer & independent scholar Don Kent. It begins with Don mentioning a recent conversation he'd recently had with (not "Roll on") John J. Sullivan, whose Geechie Wiley piece many people rightly admired.

http://www.eastriverstringband.com/radioshow/?p=1214

you can listen online, download an mp3 or (i think) get it free via itunes.

Edited by MomsMobley