Halftime at the Dylan concert. Good stuff. Tangled Up In Blue:
"She lit a burner on the stove
And brushed off the dust
'You look like someone I used to know
Someone I thought I could trust'"

And

"We always did feel the same
Depending on your point of view"

Now I'm home. Second half wasn't as good; too dependent on weak material.

Edited by mjzee

50 years ago today, BD released "Subterranean Homesick Blues" as a single.

...and you still don't need the Weathermen to know which way the wind blows!

This is going to seem ridiculous. But the first time I encountered this song (sort of), I was 10 or 11, watching Murphy Brown, and two of the characters were reflecting on their idealistic youth during the 60s and kept reciting lyrics from this song. It wasn't until a few years later that I heard the actual song.

- Steven Snell

I remember that scene really well. Murphy and the male reporter who was her friend, I can't think of his name, say the lyrics back and forth to each other. I think it might have been the first time they met.

Halftime at the Dylan concert. Good stuff. Tangled Up In Blue:

"She lit a burner on the stove

And brushed off the dust

'You look like someone I used to know

Someone I thought I could trust'"

And

"We always did feel the same

Depending on your point of view"

Now I'm home. Second half wasn't as good; too dependent on weak material.

love that Bob keeps on revising things...

Just watched a film of some of the making of Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes, and wasn't Impressed. Interesting that Dylan evidently had no interest in putting music to almost 50 year old lyrics, and instead gave them to others who did that. I guess he had no interest in living in the past - one of the signs of a true artist.

Edited by paul secor

• 3 months later...

I've been thinking about Bob in a different context recently, due to a mix tape my brother requested, as a writer of songs performed by others - the're not covers if Bob hadn't intended them for commercial release by himself, as was often the case.  If anyone really wants to get into this maybe we can start a different thread.

Lots of talk that Bootleg Series Vol. 12 will be multiple-sized (including an 18 cd one) sets of '65 through '66 material. Color me very interested.

If the library I work at gets it, I'm all over it. But to plunk down my own hard-earned cash, I'd have to hear it to see how much variation there was from night to night.  But if it includes some gigs before Levon Helm bailed, I might have to get it.

MI0003067682.jpg?partner=allrovi.com41L4h8mmr-L._AC_UL320_SR182,320_.jpg

Bob Dylan - Cover To Cover The Originals Vol. 1 (4-CD) and Vol. 2 (4-CD)

These aren't actually Bob Dylan performances but I've been enjoying them immensely just the same. These sets contain performances by the original artists of songs that were covered by Dylan in one capacity or another throughout his career. I think it gives great insight into the kind of things that he listened to and was influenced by. There's a lot of variety in this eclectic collection from a number of different genres. It's a lot of great music most of which you'll never hear on the radio.  What makes this even better is that I discovered them by pure chance at a used book store still new/sealed at a can't pass it up price!

Edited by mikelz777

• 4 weeks later...