Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2017 at 0:04 AM, medjuck said:

This interview is so good it almost convinced me to buy the 3 cd set.

http://bobdylan.com/news/qa-with-bill-flanagan/

Must be a REALLY good interview then ;)  .  Will read the interview, wouldn't touch the set with a 10 foot pole.   I love most of the first 10 years of his recordings as well as 'Infidels' and 'Time Out of Mind', but this is getting to be several bridges too far.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Must be a REALLY good interview then ;)  .  Will read the interview, wouldn't touch the set with a 10 foot pole.   I love most of the first 10 years of his recordings as well as 'Infidels' and 'Time Out of Mind', but this is getting to be several bridges too far.

I used to be that way. But now I think Modern Times, Together Through Life and Tempest are awesome. And I've enjoyed the previous two standards albums (Dylan does pretty darned well, and the band and arrangements are excellent).

2 hours ago, felser said:

You don't like Blood on the Tracks? 

• 3 weeks later...

Still listening through the 1966 box.  In Edinburgh, he sounds like a man possessed.  As for The Band, listening to each concert (with the same set list), you notice that they improvise like a jazz combo.  Same arrangements, yes, that get to the same places, but within each song, they play what they feel at the time.  It's conversational, like a New Orleans band, but all focused on the singer.  Garth Hudson is the standout (his responses to what Dylan is singing are exceptional), but they all do it - listen to Robbie Robertson play differently at each concert.  No two solos are the same.  It's really thrilling.

Folk music legend Bruce Langhorne has passed away, according to acolyte Dylan Golden Aycock. Langhorne was a session guitarist and percussionist and a friend to Bob Dylan. He inspired the song ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’, contributed the spidering guitar solo on ‘Subterranean Homesick Blues’ and played on Dylan’s tracks ‘Maggie’s Farm’, ‘Love Minus Zero/No Limit,’ and ‘She Belongs To Me’ and on The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan.

See: http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/14/bruce-langhorne-mr-tambourine-man-died/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebook_share_button&utm_campaign=share_buttons&utm_content=384059

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On September 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM, jazzbo said:

Just bought this tonight (the 2-CD version) at Landlocked after leaving work and am listening right now. Fantastic live renditions of the songs from this period; any Dylan fan would enjoy this, I think. 

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I have been digesting the 9 disc (and bonus 2 cd live show) from bobdylan.com and agree. The two discs with studio and rehearsal rarities are also really nice. Looking forward to viewing the DVD soon.

Just received my 2CD set from Amazon, looking forward to listening tomorrow!   

22 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I have been digesting the 9 disc (and bonus 2 cd live show) from bobdylan.com and agree. The two discs with studio and rehearsal rarities are also really nice. Looking forward to viewing the DVD soon.

Do you mean the Toronto and London shows when you say "bonus 2cd live show" or is that something I missed.  If so where can I get it.  Also I bought the 2cd set but dowloaded the "deluxe" set to get the rest so I don't have notes for the extra 6 discs.  Where was the Toronto concert? Massey Hall? 

I like the horns he rehearsed with but doesn't seem to have used after that.  Otherwise I find the rehearsals a bit desultory.   A couple of the unreleased songs are great. And was "Let's Begin" released before?  I think it's lovely. 

Because I pre-ordered I got a couple of downloaded songs before the official release but with no notes.  One was the live The Groom's Still Waiting at the Alter.  After I listened a couple of times I told my wife (a guitar player) she had to hear this guitar solo though I didn't know who it was by.  It's really good.  When I got the cd, I discovered it was Carlos Santana.  

Edited by medjuck

Toronto is Massey Hall. 

It would have been nice to have horns for a tour, but apparently it was decided he could have the horns or the singers with him, not both and he chose the singers. Which makes sense. . . .

The bonus material is "San Diego '79" a standalone two cd set that is/was only available ordering from bobdylan.com It didn't come cheap--you could get the deluxe set about 50 dollars cheaper elsewhere, but that wasn't the case when I pre-ordered and I knew I'd want the San Diego show. ..like the others it has the "sermons" excised, more's the pity.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It would have been nice to have horns for a tour, but apparently it was decided he could have the horns or the singers with him, not both and he chose the singers. Which makes sense. . . .

He definitely made the right decision.   They're great. 

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I finally got the Complete Basement Tapes set and am working my way through it this weekend—culmination of a longtime desire to hear all of this material. Worth the wait!

Great book in that set.  Garth Hudson's a genius.

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, mjzee said:

Great book in that set.  Garth Hudson's a genius.

I love the parts of the set that have audio up to snuff.  Some of the audio is unlistenable.  Overall, priceless and highly recommended.