Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

I just got the Bob Dylan Live 1962-66 set.  The print on the notes is so small and blue on a black background (WTF!) so I can hardly read it.  However It does seem to say of 8 cuts "Download from the Bootleg Series Vol 12. The Cutting Edge 1965-1966 Collector's Edition".  What does that mean? 

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who bought the complete "Big Blue Box" edition of Bootleg Series Vol. 12 also got (later, a few months later) a code to download MP3 files of all the '65 live concerts. Those tracks on this new release were tracks included in the concerts offered as a download (only) to the buyers of the Complete Vol. 12.

If you bought the complete 18 cd set as a physical product when released you would have been emailed a code from Sony for the live show files. . . I know this second hand from buyers' reports, I only bought the 6 cd set myself. I don't know what the possibilities were if you bought a downloaded version, I did not know there was a download version of the complete set. You may wish to inquire from your source.

Edited by jazzbo

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

I just got the Bob Dylan Live 1962-66 set.  The print on the notes is so small and blue on a black background (WTF!) so I can hardly read it.  However It does seem to say of 8 cuts "Download from the Bootleg Series Vol 12. The Cutting Edge 1965-1966 Collector's Edition".  What does that mean? 

How are the performances? I've been thinking about getting this.

On August 24, 2018 at 0:06 AM, medjuck said:

Amazon:  https://smile.amazon.com/Cutting-Edge-1965-1966-Bootleg-Vol-12/dp/B015LDCYDG/ref=sr_1_2?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1535083463&sr=1-2-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=bob+dylan+bootleg+12

I expect they didn't make the offer to cheap skates like me who ordered the download instead of the cds. 

Okay you ordered the download of the "Deluxe" version. 6 CD. The "Complete" version was a limited edition box set costing 700 dollars new and much larger. With that edition you got the downloads of the live shows from '65. And only with that version, not officially released owtherwise.

Edited by jazzbo

Info here: https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-The-Cutting-Edge-1965-1966-The-Bootleg-Series-Vol12-Collectors-Edition/release/7722618

ob_82e17a_1035x690-dylan-bootleg-12-delu

I wish I had bought it, expensive as hell or not. Of course I didn't know that later they would release to the buyers another 11 cds or so worth of live recordings that were exclusive to this set. I would have just gone fr it if I had known that. Ah well. Can't have everything.

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

Familiarity with the related bootleg catalogue seems to have dampened enthusiasm among the tribal elders*, but I know only the album proper, so I find this selection for #14 optimal.  What an exceptional year for box sets - Szell Columbia, Zappa Roxy, Dead PNW, Lips first six+ .... and a few others that have left indelible imprints on my VISA.

Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions.  Curious as well to see whether the Dylan site will exclusively offer an expanded edition as with the GospelBob release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=s...

5vhrew5uwxb11.jpg

*https://www.bobdylanisis.com/access-all-areas-blog/

Edited by Kate

49 minutes ago, Kate said:

Familiarity with the related bootleg catalogue seems to have dampened enthusiasm among the tribal elders*, but I know only the album proper, so I find this selection for #14 optimal.  What an exceptional year for box sets - Szell Columbia, Zappa Roxy, Dead PNW, Lips first six+ .... and a few others that have left indelible imprints on my VISA.

Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions.  Curious as well to see whether the Dylan site will exclusively offer an expanded edition as with the GospelBob release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=s...

*https://www.bobdylanisis.com/access-all-areas-blog/

Thanks for the tip, Kate.  But what will this consist of?  And what is "Lips first six+"?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 4:55 PM, jazzbo said:

Those who bought the complete "Big Blue Box" edition of Bootleg Series Vol. 12 also got (later, a few months later) a code to download MP3 files of all the '65 live concerts. Those tracks on this new release were tracks included in the concerts offered as a download (only) to the buyers of the Complete Vol. 12.

Late to the party on this. Someone clever made a box set of the downloadable live shows, most of which are sbds. Check Discogs which is where I got mine. 

Hi Doc. Yeah, I knew of that set, but it has dried up. . . discogs won't let anyone buy or sell it any longer either. I did what I shouldn't have last week: bought a used copy of the Big Blue. I should get the live material on a flash drive and I'm hoping I can get that onto cdr.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Uhhh..... What Netflix documentary? 

I didn't know about this either, but here it is.  My interest in the box will depend on the cost.  $100, I'm in.  $300, I'm out.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/bob-dylan-martin-scorsese-rolling-thunder-revue-documentary-netflix-777169/

Hmmm. I wonder if they'll use any of Renaldo and Clare?  And IIRC Joni Mitchell played more than one show.  (I saw the Revue in Toronto and even saw Renaldo and Clare, though I don't remember much about it.)    And BTW there's already a bootleg series box-- vol 5-- from 1975 and the Rolling Thunder Review.  

Edited by medjuck

There's lots of speculation about this set but no real info yet other than an image. Announcement seems delayed until the Scorcese documentary release date is announced by Netflix. It seems unlikely that Renaldo and Clara will be included. Yes, there was a bootleg series release already, a 2 cd compilation that had a short DVD of a few performances included in some if not all releases; THIS set is not part of the Bootleg Series. The speculation is that this may not have sets by other artists, as that might be a licensing hassle, but it's not yet certain. The most likely speculation seems to be five two cd shows, three discs of rehearsals, and a disc of rare bits and pieces.

Y4CDBD68.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed listening to (most) of this compilation:

51jPCaPmjzL._SY355_.jpg

61KNCL-4qZL.jpg

I could not get into what Con-Funk-Shun was doing on "Mr. T", so I bailed on that track pretty quick.  Then I think I just was not up to sitting through all of the downer which is "M o W", so the Staple Singers were put in the unusual position of being given short shrift in my CD player.  The rest of the the tracks are all at least "good" and many are "great".  Solomon Burke delivers solidly as always, as do Nina Simone, O.V. Wright and The Persuasions.  I've never been a big fan of the Neville Brothers, but I liked them on this track.  Brook Benton does a kind of Vegas soul lounge spin and it works because -- hey, Brook Benton and when you're Brook Benton, well, I think the title speaks for itself.  Patti LaBelle proves disco Dylan could be a viable genre if some one put their creative energy to the task (but don't hurry on my account, guys.  I can wait.  Really.).  Some may call the O'Jays performance on the closing track "over the top"; I'd call it "sublime".