Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention that despite all the "USA USA USA"-ness of the ad, Chrysler is owned by Fiat.

New logo for a new holding company incorporated in the Netherlands and based in Britain, replacing the old corporate structures of both companies:

b5fiat-1.jpg

It's worth noting that without Chrysler's fourth-quarter earnings, Fiat would have had a significant loss (235 million euros). We'll see how the new entity does going forward.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching the DVD of the 30th Anniversary Concert. It's great, just great. Wonderful hi-def picture quality, great sound, and it was just a great moment in time. All of these performers, still vital, slammin' it for Bob. A lot of poignant moments too - I was touched watching Carolyn Hester with Nancy Griffith, for example. Just a lot of terrific music.

There's an interesting little moment at the end of the Isle of Wight concert. The last song played (which I had never heard before; it isn't on the bootleg I've owned for many years) was Rainy Day Women. In the last verse, Dylan sings:

They'll stone you when you're riding on your bike

They'll stone you when you're singing in your mike

It occurs to me that the last time Dylan played England was the infamous Royal Albert Hall show in 1966. Could this be a subtle dig at that concert?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a weird one...released on the Garcia family's label, no less! Release date is tomorrow.

719ehCRXMcL._SL1400_.jpg

1. Got My Mind Made Up (Langhorne Slim & The Law) 2. Jokerman (Built To Spill) 3. Brownsville Girl (Reggie Watts) 4. Sweetheart Like You (Craig Finn of The Hold Steady) 5. You Changed My Life (Ivan & Alyosha) 6. Night After Night (Deer Tick) 7. Dark Eyes (Dawn Landes & Bonnie Prince Billy) 8. Waiting To Get Beat (Tea Leaf Green) 9. Wiggle Wiggle (Aaron Freeman of Ween & Slash) 10. Congratulations (Elvis Perkins) 11. Covenant Woman (Hannah Cohen) 12. Every Grain Of Sand (Marco Benevento) 13. Series Of Dreams (Yellowbirds) 14. Unbelievable (Blitzen Trapper) 15. When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky (Lucius) 16. Pressing On (Glen Hansard) 17. Death Is Not The End (Carl Broemel of My Morning Jacket)

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to this one time through while doing other things, not sit down listening.
I liked what I've heard. It's not going to please those who want DR13 mastering, but it's a good sounding disc with some interesting interpretations.

I've listened to this one a few times more. I like it, a well-done project.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing that bugs me about Another Self Portrait is that it ignores the material on "Dylan" (that bastard child of outtakes which Columbia released in spite in 1973). These tracks were from the same sessions as Self Portrait and New Morning, with even more hideous sweetening. But from which recording sessions did they originate? What did they sound like originally, without overdubs? Who plays on them? Was the "intent" of originally recording these tracks similar to those on Another Self Portrait? The "Dylan" album is just hanging out there, begging for explanation and context. And they actually could have fit these tracks on the first two discs of ASP.

Listening again to the "Another Self Portrait" box, specifically the original Self Portrait album. There really is no mention, in the accompanying book, of the Nashville sessions which comprise the bulk of the album. The impression the book gives is that the bulk of the album was recorded in New York, with the tapes then being sent to Nashville for sweetening. But the album was largely recorded in Nashville, not in New York, with Nashville musicians and backing singers. Indeed, the word "country" is barely mentioned in the book. I think the notes put a lot of effort into mischaracterizing the nature of the original SP album, and redirecting the listener's attention from what is obviously there. A listen clearly shows a homage to the slick Nashville sound (along with other elements), but that aspect seems to have gone down the memory hole. It would be as if they were discussing the Slow Train Coming album without addressing its religious aspect. Inconvenient and uncomfortable it may be, but c'mon.

I haven't even read the notes. Nice pics. . . I have both the deluxe cd box and the vinyl edition, and the big lp sized book is nice to look at. I've always liked this music, I've had the original two lps since release. Definitely country trappings. It sort of mystified me at first but I love the singing on most songs and there are some nice arrangements. The extra material in the bootleg version is nice but unlike others I don't think it is better.

• 2 weeks later...

LONDON (Reuters) - Bob Dylan has released a version of "Full Moon and Empty Arms", a hit for Frank Sinatra in 1945, and will follow it with a new album later this year.

The song, posted on Dylan's official website, was written by Buddy Kaye and Ted Mossman and is based on Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2. Artists ranging from Sarah Vaughan to the Platters have also covered it.

Rolling Stone magazine quoted a spokesperson for Dylan as saying: "This track is definitely from a forthcoming album due later on this year."

No title was given for the album but the website's home page cryptically featured a picture of Dylan and the words "Shadows in the Night".

Hear this song here:

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/home

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of the most popular songs of all time, Bob Dylan‘s “Like a Rolling Stone,” could bring between $1 million and $2 million at auction.

A working draft of the finished song in Dylan’s own hand is being offered by Sotheby’s on Tuesday.

The draft is written in pencil on four sheets of hotel letterhead stationery with revisions, additions, notes and doodles: a hat, a bird, an animal with antlers. The stationery comes from the Roger Smith hotel in Washington, D.C.

More here:

NY Post