Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what exact money changed hands on that deal. Looks like he is selling the non-annotated ones. I would think the annotated ones could bring super serious money. It's a funny kind of collectible; if you actually use it, you pretty much ruin its value. I'm sure Dylan listened to them too, so they might be fairly worn already. I probably walked by that building a 100 time in my undergraduate days at NYU.

As he says in the comments section:

I’ve given a digital copy to Dylan’s office, but as they just issued the amazing Another Self Portrait I doubt they will release anything covering similar ground. It’s their decision as to what to do–they own the rights.

Wise to cover himself from that angle. I doubt that Dylan would want to be bothered with any legal action on the acetates and any future sale.

• 1 month later...

This is so weird. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the soundtrack of" I'm Not There" and noticed how good the title song sounded (as compared to on the bootleg I had of The Basement Tapes) and decided to do some research on it. Somewhere on the web I found out that the original tapes had been given to Neil Young who had them in his archive. (He was supposed to get a copy, not the original.) That got me to thinking that they could release the whole thing, but I concluded "no, they'll never do that". Shows how smart I am.

As for the other release, Elvis Costello's participation sours it for me; explanation for that would have to go into the Politics section.

Does smack of 'project' but sometimes these things work. Not a Costello fan myself. The only musician involved I know is Rhiannon Giddens whose voice I very much like (not to mention the picture!).

Wouldn't mind the 2 CD basement tapes if the sound is improved. Won't need 6 CDs of it!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

This is so weird. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the soundtrack of" I'm Not There" and noticed how good the title song sounded (as compared to on the bootleg I had of The Basement Tapes) and decided to do some research on it. Somewhere on the web I found out that the original tapes had been given to Neil Young who had them in his archive. (He was supposed to get a copy, not the original.) That got me to thinking that they could release the whole thing, but I concluded "no, they'll never do that". Shows how smart I am.

I've never heard anything about Neil owning these. Here is what Rolling Stone has to say:

The 20 reel-to-reel tapes that hold the entire sessions sat in the Woodstock home of the Band's Garth Hudson until about ten years ago, when he sold them to Canadian collector Jan Haust. Dylan's office cut a deal with Haust that allowed the tapes to finally come out officially. "They had deteriorated some and a few reels were missing," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "We had to find copies of a few on cassette and DATs." Through painstaking research, and a little guesswork, the songs are presented in roughly the order they were taped, though a series of half-completed or poorly recorded tracks reside on the final disc. The material has also been remastered and sounds infinitely better than even the best bootlegs. "Everything is coming out, besides four or five things that just sound like distortion," says the source. "We usually curate these packages more, but we knew the fans would be disappointed if we didn't put out absolutely everything."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-complete-basement-tapes-bootlegs-released-november-20140826#ixzz3BWbqyMnJ

I've never heard anything about Neil owning these. Here is what Rolling Stone has to say:

The 20 reel-to-reel tapes that hold the entire sessions sat in the Woodstock home of the Band's Garth Hudson until about ten years ago, when he sold them to Canadian collector Jan Haust. Dylan's office cut a deal with Haust that allowed the tapes to finally come out officially. "They had deteriorated some and a few reels were missing," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "We had to find copies of a few on cassette and DATs." Through painstaking research, and a little guesswork, the songs are presented in roughly the order they were taped, though a series of half-completed or poorly recorded tracks reside on the final disc. The material has also been remastered and sounds infinitely better than even the best bootlegs. "Everything is coming out, besides four or five things that just sound like distortion," says the source. "We usually curate these packages more, but we knew the fans would be disappointed if we didn't put out absolutely everything."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-complete-basement-tapes-bootlegs-released-november-20140826#ixzz3BWbqyMnJ

http://www.laweekly.com/2007-11-22/music/bob-dylan-s-most-mysterious-recording/

"Among those rarefied few who heard the original recording was Neil Young, who, it turns out, possessed the most pristine and unadulterated copy of the so-called Basement Tapes, which he received from his longtime engineer Elliot Mazur. Mazur was assigned by Dylan’s manager, Albert Grossman, to transfer the original tapes for storage, and ended up dubbing a copy for himself. A few years later, Mazur duplicated them again with the intention of giving Young a copy, but accidentally gave him the original transfers, which sat in Young’s archives until they were unearthed a few years ago. With the song’s release on the fantastic I’m Not There soundtrack, those not exposed to the bootleg can finally attempt to discern meaning for themselves — if they dare."

I think you and RollingStone are right. Reading this more closely this suggests that what Young got was the original dub but not the original master.

Edited by medjuck