Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably don't want the 18 disc set (though I'm embarrassed to say I already have a lot of it with crappy sound) but this is from  what might be the most  creative 18 or so months of creativity in music history. 

I'd love to be able to buy just disc 18-- it at least has some new music. 

Edited by medjuck

• 1 month later...

My late father-in-law was a welder. In West Virgina mines, working for Union Carbide. I don't think he ever even heard of Bob Dylan.

For that matter, there was this guy named Ben Kinder who was a welder for Texaco, when I worked the summer roustabout gig. He used to bend my ear about how much he dug Ken Griffin. I don't think he ever heard of Bob Dylan either, although since Ken Griffin recorded for Columbia, he might have seen the name on some inner sleeves. But Ben didn't seem like the kind of guy to keep his inner sleeves, if you know what I mean.

And there was this really weird guy in Longview named Teel who worked at a welding supply company, which is where we'd all go to have all our gauges tested,, because, you know, shit can blow up if you don't watch it. Teel was so weird, I don't know if he had heard of Bob Dylan or not. I'd not be surprised by it one way or the other, nor, for that matter, would I be suprised by anything about Teel. This guy was weird. East Texas weird, ok? You jsut walked in and said "Hey, Teel", got your gauges tested, and got the hell out of there tout suite. And I'm not saying this because he had real squinty eyes and an magnifying glassed size overbite either. That cat was weird.

That's the great thing about welding - it's a unifying force in a world otherwise full of and fraught with divisions.

Mouse and them was from Tyler. Same neck of the woods, but a world apart, as Tyler was in Smith County, Longview in Gregg County. Smith County was dry, Gregg County was anything but. You can imagine what just the other side of the Smith County line was like everywhere there was a road...

• 3 months later...

Bob Dylan has sold his personal archive of notes, draft lyrics, poems, artwork and photographs to the University of Tulsa, where they will be made available to scholars and curated for public exhibitions, the Oklahoma school said on Wednesday.

The 6,000-item collection spans nearly the entire length of Dylan’s 55-year career, and many have never been seen before. The collection was acquired by the George Kaiser Foundation and the University of Tulsa.

The collection also includes master recording tapes of Dylan’s entire music catalog, along with hundreds of hours of film video.

Full story here: http://nypost.com/2016/03/02/bob-dylan-sells-his-personal-archive-of-lyrics-art-and-recordings-for-millions/

I couldn't believe that these archives would sell for only $15 million.   Hell, people pay that these days for one of Lady Gaga's bras.

I guess that Dylan probably liked the idea of who he was selling it to, and how it would be used.  I am sure that he could have gotten much more money for it if that was his goal. 

Edited by John L

5 hours ago, alankin said:

According to a NY Times article, the collection was appraised at around $50-60 million dollars.  So Dylan may be able to get a tax write off for the difference.

from a tax law point o view that seems to be a bit of a stretch to me

1 hour ago, uli said:

Well I'm not an tax accountant so who knows but according to this Rolling Stone story:

"The collection is estimated to be worth more than $60 million, and since Dylan sold it for about a third of that,
         he will likely be able to claim it as a significant charitable donation for tax purposes."
         http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-sells-6-000-item-private-collection-for-15-million-20160302

I'm just glad that it's being kept together as a collection where it will be available for scholars.  Dylan could have decided to have it go to auction..

Edited by alankin

4 hours ago, uli said:

Nope, simply makes sense from a tax standpoint.  If he could have gotten $50-60 million (assumption being that the appraisal amount will hold up in court), then the amount above the $15 million he actually received can be considered a tax-deductible gift.  So he doesn't have to worry about paying tax on the $15 million, and the balance gets applied against his other earnings for the year.  

Some Dylan fanatics have listened through all the tapes of concerts between 1988-2000, and have assembled three discs of the very best performances.   I listened through them with real enjoyment.   I think that it would be against forum rules to give a link here, but you might search for the 100 greatest bootlegs. :) 

Edited by John L

14 hours ago, mjzee said:

I think he's very focused on money.  This is probably all going into trusts for his kids and grandkids.

I know very little about the man other than what I've read - probably not very trustworthy stuff. I think that if he were just interested in making a lot of money, he would have just put it up for auction at Sotheby's or the like and made more. It's obvious that he wanted to keep the parts of his archives together and in a place where they'll be respected. That said, he still was paid a lot of money.

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

I know very little about the man other than what I've read - probably not very trustworthy stuff. I think that if he were just interested in making a lot of money, he would have just put it up for auction at Sotheby's or the like and made more. It's obvious that he wanted to keep the parts of his archives together and in a place where they'll be respected. That said, he still was paid a lot of money.

It's not that he's just interested in making a lot of money, but this is all part of good estate planning - creating trusts, preserving the money for kids and grandkids, etc.  Besides, would anyone who's not interested in money charge $600 for 17 discs, as Dylan did for the super-deluxe version of The Cutting Edge?  The reality is that Dylan is a great artist and a pretty good businessman.  Or as we used to say back in the day, "he was never known to make a foolish move."

Edited by mjzee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...