Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the next Dylan bootleg series may be covering the gospel years.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-plotting-gospel-years-bootleg-series-w444677

There are many tunes that were recorded but never released, as well as alternate versions and live material.  They are looking at also including a DVD of one of his shows, possibly the one at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo from 1980.

Paul Williams, in his book "Dylan - What Happened?", wrote at length about the two weeks of concerts Dylan and his gospel band did at the Warfield in San Francisco, around the time of the release of "Slow Train Coming."  In a sense, these were his "coming out of the closet" concerts, and a lot of the audience was unprepared.  Supposedly very harsh, unyielding stuff, with none of his earlier, "secular" songs interspersed.  I would very much like to hear this, although I'm guessing I'll be very uncomfortable with a lot of it.

It's interesting that one song that Dylan, as best I know, never put on any album or compilation is "Trouble In Mind," the flip of the "Gotta Serve Somebody" 45.  If he was never comfortable bringing that song to the attention of a wider audience, I wonder why he would put out an entire box of this music now.

Lyrics to Trouble In Mind.

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

I've got a recoding of one of the Warfield shows (Nov. 1) and he does do some older songs.  IRRC that was the concert where Mike e Bloomfield joined him for one number.   He also asks if Greil Marcus is in the audience. 

It looks like the recording you have is November 15, 1980.  The stretch of concerts I'm referring to are from 1979.

Setlist 11/1/79

Setlist 11/15/80 - Bloomfield sat in on "Like A Rolling Stone."

Bob Dylan yanks Nobel Prize mention from website

Bob Dylan's silence on Nobel Prize win is 'arrogant'

See Wikipedia's Alfred Nobel page for the following: Known for inventing dynamite, Nobel also owned Bofors, which he had redirected from its previous role as primarily an iron and steel producer to a major manufacturer of cannon and other armaments. Nobel held 355 different patents, dynamite being the most famous.

In other words, Nobel was the original "Master of War."  Could this be the source of Dylan's non-reaction to winning the prize?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today too.  Nice packaging.  Interestingly, the outer Amazon box contained an inner shipping box which contained the Dylan set.  That inner box had packing tape from Bertelsmann.  The bottom of the Dylan set indicates it was made in the EU.  So are all the Dylan sets being manufactured in Germany, for shipment around the world?  Also interesting that Sony and Bertelsmann still have a business connection.  This has nothing to do with the music, but I find it interesting.