Another Side Of...

The Basement Tapes

New Morning

John Wesley Harding

Love and Theft

Self Portrait

Blood On The Tapes

Thanks again, all!

i'd strongly suggest to add Desire to that list...

Thanks Niko! I downloaded the titles in bold above from eMusic last night.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I am in a little minority in thinking this.

:) depends on where you set the cut... (btw, get better soon)

the joey gallo wikipedia entry is pretty informative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gallo

while i already skipped this song before i knew anything about gallo, i still think it is an excellent album (though of course not as historically significant as earlier dylan albums... but historical influence isn't everything (obviously))

I'm still not sure that Dylan was being serious when he wrote (co-wrote, actually) "Joey." Not that he was being humorous; I've always wondered whether it was an exercise in hagiography, as in "you could make anyone into a hero if you really tried."

Allen, I respect your opinions about Dylan and his losing his creativity, in fact some of your comments have been rather thought-provoking, so keep them coming!

I do disagree of course... I mean clearly his peak was 65/66, I can fully agree with that. Maybe up to 67 (including the Basement stuff)? But because of that, I feel no need to put down the good stuff he made later on (Blood, Desire, Rolling Thunder, Slow Train, Empire Burlesque, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft...), and I love the weaker stuff as well (mostly).

im having trouble finding a mono Blonde on Blonde someone was telling me dylan started using like session players a lot on it and its good but i just need that, and john wesley harding the last USA mono to complete my collectuion

If you don't mind reissues, Sundazed has done mono LPs of Blond and Harding. Both sound better than other stereo versions that I've heard.

Also the Bootleg volume dedicated to the Rolling Thunder Revue might be of interest (and two or three titles included in "Biograph" are NOT duplicated there). It's from the first tour. The second is documented (well, that's an exaggeration, you get a glimpse of it) on "Hard Rain", which seems to be among the least regarded of his albums as well.

Hard Rain is one of my favorites. Right up there with Blood on the Tracks, Planet Waves, New Morning, Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft. The Bootleg volume you mention is great except for the Joan Baez intrusions. I have to skip the songs with her every time.

just finished my first watch of this DVD:

51fnptiM15L._SS500_.jpg

info:

Hughes Stadium

Colorado State University

Fort Collins, Colorado

23 May 1976

1. Mr. Tambourine Man

2. It Ain't Me, Babe

3. Vincent van Gogh (Robert Friemark)

4. Maggie's Farm

5. One Too Many Mornings

6. Mozambique (Bob Dylan–Jacques Levy/Bob Dylan)

7. Isis (Bob Dylan–Jacques Levy/Bob Dylan)

8. Blowin' In The Wind

9. Railroad Boy (trad.)

10. Deportees (Woody Guthrie)

11. I Pity The Poor Immigrant

12. Shelter From The Storm

13. Oh, Sister (Bob Dylan–Jacques Levy/Bob Dylan)

14. I Want You

15. Tangled Up In Blue

16. You're A Big Girl Now

17. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

18. Lay Lady Lay

19. Silver Mantis (J. Henry Burnett/Fleming)

20. Going, Going, Gone

21. Idiot Wind

22. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

23. Gotta Travel On (Paul Clayton-Larry Ehrlich-David Lazar-Tom Six)

24. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Rolling Thunder Revue 2 concert #24.

1, 2 Bob Dylan (vocal, guitar & harmonica).

3-24 Bob Dylan (guitar & vocal), Scarlet Rivera (violin), T-bone J. Henry Burnett (guitar & piano), Steven Soles (guitar), Mick Ronson (guitar), Bobby Neuwirth (guitar & vocal), Roger McGuinn (guitar & vocal), David Mansfield (steel guitar, mandolin, violin & dobro), Rob Stoner (bass), Howie Wyeth (drums), Gary Burke (congas).

3 Bob Dylan & Bobby Neuwirth shared vocal.

8-11 Joan Baez (guitar and shared vocal).

19 vocal by T-bone J. Henry Burnett.

22 Bob Dylan & Roger McGuinn shared vocal.

23 shared vocal by Bob Dylan & the group.

24 Joan Baez (shared vocal), Kinky Friedman, Jack Elliott (backup vocal).

Bootlegs

Blood And Thunder. Junk /JUNK 003.

Hold the Fort for what it's worth. Wild Wolf 2CD.

Like A Rolling Stone. The Hidden TV Shows. Angry Dino / 1014

Official releases

8 released on JOAN BAEZ: RARE, LIVE & CLASSIC, Vanguard VCD3-125/27, 31 August 1993.

4, 5, 12, 16, 21 released on HARD RAIN, Columbia PC 34349, 10 September 1976 and on Columbia CK 34349 (CD), 30 November 1976.

4-6, 8-12, 21, 22, 24 included in the TV film HARD RAIN, first broadcast by NBC Network 14 September 1976.

21 released on MASTERPIECES, CBS/SONY 57 AP875-7, March 1978 in Japan, and later 1978 in Australia and New Zealand.

Reference. Les Kokay: Songs of the Underground. Rolling Thunder Revue. Private publication 2000, pages 119-120.

4, 5, 12, 16, 21 stereo PA recordings.

4-6, 8-12, 21, 22, 24 mono TV broadcast.

Mono audience recording, 120 minutes.

source: http://www.bjorner.com/DSN03275%201976%20R...II.htm#DSN03340

Pretty nice indeed!

Got this by chance as it was offered cheaply by zweitausendeins.de a while back and added it to some other things I ordered, had no idea this even existed.

It lacks in quality though, and there are annoying (Japanese?) subtitles for all the lyrics and even some "info-bars" popping up not at the bottom end but right through the middle of the image...

They really ought to dig out the master videotapes and do a proper DVD reissue of this one!

Edited to add: this is a release of the Hard Rain TV film, I forgot to mention.

Edited by king ubu

good news, ive found the blonde on blonde mono, the bad news, depending on how u wanna look at it, its a white label promo, so the store has it at $230.00, god damn, its exactly what im looking for.

im going back today to for sure im pretty sure buy their clean REACH OUT! copy for 20 and oh god they have a mono Caddy for Daddy they want 60 for it....should i do it? ohgod!

im having trouble finding a mono Blonde on Blonde someone was telling me dylan started using like session players a lot on it and its good but i just need that, and john wesley harding the last USA mono to complete my collectuion

If you don't mind reissues, Sundazed has done mono LPs of Blond and Harding. Both sound better than other stereo versions that I've heard.

That were excellent, as all early Sundazed reissues, not 100 per cent sure about the stuff they are realizing now.

Regarding Dylan's more contemporary recordings, I like Modern Times... a lot. In fact, I think it was one of the better CDs to come out in 2006. However, I'm not as big a fan of Time Out Of Mind, even though that album seem to have won a fair amount of critical acclaim when it was released in 1997. Just seems a little too dark for me, or maybe I need more listening time with it. Anyway, I've not heard Love & Theft. Does the Love & Theft seem closer in style and sound to Modern Times or Time of out Mind, or neither?

Edited by Norm

"Love and Theft" was the original, "Modern Times" the copy or second helping... :)

Seriously: "Love and Theft was the first "Jack Frost" production (Dylan's alias, I gather?), and it was there where he found a new simplicity, yet not excluding some swampiness (Lanois, the Mississippi influence...), but it's much straighter than "Time Out of Mind", which indeed is a brooding dark album. But that is exactly why I love it... "Cold Irons Bound"...

"Love and Theft" catches (mostly) the working band (with Augie Meyers added on accordion and organ) in their usual, swinging style of that time (before they got harder/rockier again, they did more acoustic stuff back then, with Tony Garnier on upright bass etc).

---------------------

Anyway, the objections against "Joey" made me think of some other Dylan oddities...

He liked Dubya

He likes Sarkozy (who went backstage at one of the two April '09 Paris concerts and chatted with Dylan - a silly Rolling Stone article about Dylan, I guess in the June issue, mentioned that).

He played for his popeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKuWX-Pyb5s

He did an ad for Victoria's Secret:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAAUV6E9tYo...feature=related

(a song from "Time out of Mind", btw)

And just now, there's a massive campaign for an ugly watch bearing his name:

oris-rectangular-bob-dylan-timepiece-3.jpg

Some other bobbish silliness I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHybJvBKeY...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X450KgAlgIQ...feature=related

$2,150.00 (about £1 300) for a wrist watch!!!!! You could by a well decent stero and listen to his records withat money. You could buy all his CDs!

I paid £12.99 (about $22) for a new watch on Saturday after my other one disappeared in the Autumn choppings. I was taken aback by how much more it cost this time - I'm sure I only paid £7.99 a few years back.

Barmy!

Well, I'm not opposed to expensive watches in general (not that I could afford one), but a classic IWC "Portugieser" for instance, I'd certainly wear it if I had one! But most expensive watches are just ugly in my eyes...

Btw, the x-mas album is on its way, two copies, one for me dad :)

ORIS makes a nice watch, with ETA movements that can be serviced for a reasonable price by any competent watchmaker. I think the Bob Dylan piece is pretty cool, although not as nice as the ORIS Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie models. ORIS makes durable "runners." Sure, it isn't as finely crafted as a Patek, but the price is WAY lower and the service bill is likewise. It is a fine mechanical. An ORIS will last a lifetime if serviced every 3-5 years.

I don't mind Bob giving his name to the watch biz. I don't mind him making a Christmas album. Frankly, I'd love to see the CD and the watch in my stocking come Christmas day. :D