Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's Tangled Up In Blue, the version on Bootleg Series 1-3. I think it is far superior to what's on BOTT and captures the mood associated with the tale he tells. I always reach for the demo BOTT, but taken together, the two versions of that LP are a cannonball for me. A fine piece long ago in MOJO had the (I think) whole story of the two records, two bands. Recommended reading.

His thoughts about pondering taking his own life seem almost as if he wasn't alarmed about them at all, as if part of a daily list of things to do: Get groceries, write lyric, jump out window.

I don't know, man--it's Bob. Not much in his career he hasn't done just for the reaction (I'm a super-fan, and that's still my opinion).

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm watching a Hollywood A Go Go show from 1966, and the host, Sam Riddle is interviewing Cher (I never realized how pervy Sonny Bono looked next to her until this show), and Riddle casually mentions that Dylan has a tv show in England. Really? I checked Dylan's IMBd entry, and nothing is listed for England 1966. Anyone know anything about this supposed English tv show in 1966? I've never heard of it -- which, granted, doesn't mean a whole lot.

So I'm watching a Hollywood A Go Go show from 1966, and the host, Sam Riddle is interviewing Cher (I never realized how pervy Sonny Bono looked next to her until this show), and Riddle casually mentions that Dylan has a tv show in England. Really? I checked Dylan's IMBd entry, and nothing is listed for England 1966. Anyone know anything about this supposed English tv show in 1966? I've never heard of it -- which, granted, doesn't mean a whole lot.

Matthew, this is somewhat earlier but are you aware of this TV play.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/sep/18/popandrock.bobdylan

Matthew, this is somewhat earlier but are you aware of this TV play.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/sep/18/popandrock.bobdylan

Interesting story. I knew some of the basics but not the details. Thanks for posting it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The word is Columbia Records is preparing the ultimate Bob Dylan box set– a collection of all his albums including his bootleg series. The massive box will be a Dylanographer’s delight, collecting every single track including single tracks like “George Jackson” that never made into onto an album. There will also be a couple of CDs with miscellaneous tracks, so that just about everything you ever heard, had, lost, or wanted is all in one place. The price for this super collection is said to be $300–but there’s an upside. I am told that there will be a code so buyers can download the whole thing for free as well.

Taken from: Forbes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For folks with Spotify, here's a playlist I put together of Dylan covers.

Among my favorites are Ann Peebles doing "Tonight I'll be Staying Here with You," Marlene Dietrich's "Blowin' in the Wind," Flatt & Scruggs' "Down in the Flood," The Ramones' "My Back Pages," Isaac Hayes' "Lay Lady Lay," Anthony & the Johnsons' "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and Nina Simone's "Ballad of Hollis Brown."

Edited by Pete C

• 1 month later...