First box-set you ever got?

Tonight I pulled out the Elllington Hindsight 1946-47 box of transcriptions and listened to it again for the first time in a couple of years. It was my comprehensive introduction to the world of Duke, purchased primarily because I really wanted a copy of "Crosstown" (it was on a cheap cassette that I'd just about played to pieces). Around the same time I picked up Count Basie's complete Decca recordings, the 3-CD GRP set, and thus was the madness born... :crazy: I remember, at the same store where I got both sets, hearing tell of a customer who'd bought the Coltrane Prestige box. "That's nuts," I commented. "I really like Coltrane, but 16 CDs?"

Suffice to say I picked up that set several years later. :excited:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was 1986, the Monk Blue Note Mosaic and the Mulligan/Baker Mosaic.

However, when I was very little (probably 1955) my family got its first LP & 45 record player, and also got an RCA Victor compilation box (of EPs) entitled Music America Loves Best. I remember it had The Three Suns playing Twilight Time.

Probably the Don Cherry Mosaic.

It was the first Mosaic I ever bought (maybe around 1994? - maybe '95), and would have had to have been one of the first box sets I ever owned.

OK, well, the Cherry box was probably my first JAZZ box set. Didn't realize this topic was for any kind of box set.

Hmmmm..... Maybe the first Clapton "Crossroads" set? Having a tough time remembering, cuz I used to work for a top 40 radio station way back in college, and I managed to score a few promo sets back around '89 / '90 -- and I bought a few things on a lark too (which I don't own any more, that includes the Clapton).

I had a shit-load of Hendrix back then, but were there any Hendrix boxes our circa the late 80's?? I can't think of any. The Floyd "Shine On" box didn't come out until way after "Crossroads", so that's out (I went through a big Floyd phase my Freshman year of College). No Zappa boxes to be had back then. No Miles boxes either. That about covers my early musical fanatical phases.

Maybe that first Jethro Tull box?? -- but that had to be after "Crossroads" too.

"Crossroads" had to be it.

If I remember well the first box I got was the 2-LP box 'An Evening With Ornette Coleman', a Made in Germany set from Polydor International of Ornette's 1965 concert in Croydon. Probably came out in the late '60s.

Or it might have been the first Jazz Composer's Orchestra 2-LP box from JCOA records. That one came out in 1968.

Edited by brownie

I was born into it. My parents had the RCA Glenn Miller AAF box for as long as I can remember. They might have even had it a few months before I was born.

Had an aunt who gave me her copy of The Kenton Era when I was 15.

Got the first Smithsonian set in 1974 as a high school graduation present.

First one I ever bought myself was, I think, the WB Bird Dial set. That was 1976, iirc, maybe 1977.

A used LP set of Concert For Bangladesh.

I was kind of late to CDs as I didn't get a player until '91 or so. Though just 2 discs Hank Williams Health & Happiness might have been the first for me. The Presley '50s set was the first really big one (5 discs) - well "really big" until I got into Mosaics (and still a Bear Family virgin.) Bought the Janis set for my partner, which might have come before the Elvis. So it was one of those 3.

First jazz...I think it was Coltrane's Village Vanguard. All I know is since I joined this board I have a whole mess of box sets compared to what I used to have. You bastards...thank you!

I think I still have that Smithsonian set on cassette. At this point, I would imagine I have just about everything in a more complete form.

The first major box set, where I actually saved up for it, was the Monk on Riverside set. This was something I bought during my first "real," post-college job.

Mine was either the first Smithsonian lp box set, or Bremen/Lausanne by Keith Jarrett. . . can't remember specifically which, got them both about the same time more than thirty years ago.

First cd box set was the Prestige Chronicles box set (Miles Davis).

Edited by jazzbo

My first boxed set was a $3 promo box put out by Warner Bros./Reprise called "Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies." At the time, they had a great way to introduce new music to the public: a few times a year, they'd release $1 a disc compilations of their new releases. Most were twofers, but LT&MM was the first (and I think only) 3 disc set. While it was handsome, I didn't think it wore as well on the shelves - any air in the box made it collapse in spots.

I came to really dislike boxed sets - I knew I just wouldn't dig to play, say, the 8th disc in a 16-disc set; it would just remain unplayed. Which, I guess, is why I truly love the "random" feature in iTunes - every song has an equal chance to get played.

My first jazz boxed set? I think "The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve" lp import from Japan. Massive box, with most of the booklet in Japanese. I think when the U.S. CD box came out, it had alternate takes not included in my version.

My first was 1986, the Monk Blue Note Mosaic and the Mulligan/Baker Mosaic.

The Monk was the first I remember vividly. Before that, some Time-Life boxes, Smithsonian, Worlds Greatest Music and, what were those things called - three-LP sets in the burgundy boxes?

Oh yeah, and the old JATP concerts on 78.