First box-set you ever got?

Coltrane's Atlantic box, just after it came out, and just after I started getting into jazz a bit - via Miles, first electric, then "Workin'" and KoB from the library, then I read about Trane and let my parents buy me the Heavyweight box for x-mas.... been hooked ever since, both to Trane and to box-sets...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was the Candid Mingus Mosaic (in 87 I think), sold it along with many other

prized mosaic's to pay for surgery on my fathers Dog this summer.

will miss the sets but it was well worth the enjoyment and the companionship

of the animal. I did not buy another box set until 1993 when I got Ornette "Beauty is a Rare Thing"

Tough to remember now... I think it might have been a used copy of Ella Sings Gershwin (5 LP box with artwork by... Buffet?). Or, it could have been that Savoy Bird LP box. No, wait a second...

Love those lincoln logs. I had those! (tinkertoys too!)

Showing my age, I *think* it was the old 3-LP set that accompanied George T. Simon's book The Big Bands. Or maybe it was the old 3-LP Ellington Era boxes; memory fails. Or the original Goodman Carnegie Hall concert?? Still have all those. I'm a hopeless pack rat. The Big Band set was unusual in including individual LPs from Columbia, Victor, and Decca--rare case of "inter-label" cooperation back then.

What's to be ashamed about? Carnegie Hall is a great record. In fact, I'll probably end up getting the newly remastered set sometime soon. Terry Kath is incredible!

That's what I was trying to get at. The group was good while Kath was alive. After his death is when they got into all that pop mush.

I think it was the 1977 Karajan's Beethoven symphonies, DG. My parents gave it as present ages ago for Christmas. Vinyl, still have it. When my dad passed away I inherited his 1962 Karajan recordings, and they are my preferred ones.

'77 Karajan Beethoven was my first box, too. My stepdad gave it to me as a birthday gift the same year I got my first component stereo, 1978. First box I bought for myself was Alan Mandel's recordings of the complete Charles Ives piano music, which was in 1979, I think.

First Jazz Box I ever bought, a year or so after that, was the Smithsonian Ellington box of 1938-1940 recordings.

If I exclude 2-LP sets, the first could be the Ella Fitzgerald Gershwing song book, except that I only bought vols 1-4 of that. So it doesn't count.

The first real multi LP set (3 LPs) I bought ALL of, was "The persecution and assisination of Marat as performed by the inmates of the aylum of Charenton under the direction of the Marquis de Sade", a play by Peter Weiss, recorded by the Royal Shakespeare Company, on Caedmon - and it came in a box. I got that in the summer of '67 and it was, I guess, part of my reaction against the idealism of that summer.

The first music set I got (3 LPs, not in a box) was "The piano music of Erik Satie" by Frank Glazer on Vox. That was 1970.

The first jazz set (not a box) was "The Sonny Clark Trio" - the Toshiba 3 LP set, in 1986.

The first music set in an actual box was "Atlantic R&B 1947-1974", a 14 LP set, in 1987.

The first jazz sets in a box were the Blue Mitchell and Horace Parlan Mosaics, which I got at the same time, in 2000. (Though, of course, Grover Washington's "Soul Box", which I got in 1975, was a box, but it only had two LPs in it.)

MG