My Mystery Photos

marcello

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did those two old faces play together? Looks like the same place...

Very nice shots :tup

There was a series of bandstands set up on 52nd Street on July 5th or 6th, 1976, with different groups. Clark Terry / Ernie Wilkins, Sonny Stitt (w/ Barry Harris), Hannibal Marvin Peterson's Big Band (w/ Freddie Waits, George Adams, Billy Harper and Dave Holland), Zoot Sims / Jimmy Rowles and more.

Here is Terry & Wilkins:

Damn, I was there! I remember that 52nd St. thing. I recall seeing Roy Haynes and the Hip Ensemble, and a big band that would have been Sam Rivers. Later in the day Haynes could be seen on a bench with a woman friend, the two of them sharing a huge spliff.

As for the drummer in photo #1, doesn't it look like this gentleman?

thornt_clif_ketchaoua_101b.jpg

I would have thought our own clifford_thornton would have caught this!

Damn, I was there! I remember that 52nd St. thing. I recall seeing Roy Haynes and the Hip Ensemble, and a big band that would have been Sam Rivers. Later in the day Haynes could be seen on a bench with a woman friend, the two of them sharing a huge spliff.

As for the drummer in photo #1, doesn't it look like this gentleman?

thornt_clif_ketchaoua_101b.jpg

I would have thought our own clifford_thornton would have caught this!

I see your point, but CT didn't play no trap set!

D'OH! [slaps forehead] I got Clifford Thornton and Clifford Jarvis confused.

But obviously Jarvis loaned Thornton his drum set that day. I wouldn't be surprised if we find a companion picture of Clifford Jarvis playing trombone. Or--wait--was it tenor sax? No, that was Clifford Brown. Unless it was Clifford Jordan on trumpet?

I believe that the cellist is NOT Wadud, but the same person in #2 who is playing bass.

Certainly not Roscoe, but I am at a loss who the altoist/flutist is. Looking at the names on the back of my SoundCraft '75 LP, any of those obscure mofos could be one of these dudes. There were so many cats playing loft gigs at that time, only some of whom were recorded, that it's hard to say who some of these "mystery players" are. Hell, some were "mystery players" back then!

D'OH! [slaps forehead] I got Clifford Thornton and Clifford Jarvis confused.

But obviously Jarvis loaned Thornton his drum set that day. I wouldn't be surprised if we find a companion picture of Clifford Jarvis playing trombone. Or--wait--was it tenor sax? No, that was Clifford Brown. Unless it was Clifford Jordan on trumpet?

:wacko:

CT played cornet, valve-trombone, percussion, piano, shenai and flute at various points. Just not the drumset, as far as I know.

I believe that the cellist is NOT Wadud, but the same person in #2 who is playing bass.

Certainly not Roscoe, but I am at a loss who the altoist/flutist is. Looking at the names on the back of my SoundCraft '75 LP, any of those obscure mofos could be one of these dudes. There were so many cats playing loft gigs at that time, only some of whom were recorded, that it's hard to say who some of these "mystery players" are. Hell, some were "mystery players" back then!

Could it be Jameel Moondoc?

You're right, the cellist is not Wadud, I have him in other photos during the same time.