My Mystery Photos

marcello

thanks for the info, Margaret! also saw Henry has a gig w/Cecil upcoming-- will there be more?

c

The Cecil Taylor trio (the new AHA 3) w/ Henry Grimes and Pheeroan akLaff; also John Zorn with Dave Douglas, Greg Cohen, and Joey Baron (Masada), at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Rose Theatre, Broadway at 6Oth St., New York City, 8 p.m., 212-546-2656, www.lincolncenter.org, www.jalc.org/concerts/details.asp?EventID=952,

tickets from the site, at the Rose Hall box office at 6Oth St. and Broadway, or from CenterCharge, 212-721-65OO.

I can't believe I'm going to miss that by 3 days.

Anything as interesting as that going on on March 16 or so in NYC?

A

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you are (or indeed what your name is), but if you're not in the New York area, you can get a fairly decent New York City concert schedule off the Web from the allaboutjazz site. Just go to www.allaboutjazz.com/newyork/aaj_ny_200703.pdf (for the year 2007 and the month 03, March), go and have dinner while you wait for it to download (if your computer deals with big pdf files like mine does), and eventually you will have a copy of the March, '07 issue of "All About Jazz" / New York. You didn't say how long you'd be in New York, but you can then print out pages 38-41 for concert listings from March 15th through the end of the month and a fairly comprehensive club directory.

Each month you can do a download like this by waiting for the first of the month and then putting in the same URL, only, for example, 200706 for June of '07 or 200801 for January of '08... well, you get the idea. You can't download a month's issue before the month begins, but I think you can download old issues.

I hope this is helpful.

Not sure about Larry Gales.

Percy Heath is a no.

Here is Percy at a Heath Brothers concert at Rockerfeller Center one afternoon in 1977:

Afterwards I went to the Vanguard to see Rahsaan and then over to the Village Gate to see Dizzy. Only in New York!

You may be right , Paul. Not sure though.

In the meantime, here's one of your old employer. More tomorrow:

Cool, Tom! Frank Tiberi with 70s hair!

I'm guessing they're playing Gary Anderson's arrangement of "Pavane". IIRC, the only other one that Frank played "the farting bedpost" on regularly was "Come Saturday Morning", and I don't believe that he and Woody played at the same time on the latter. This "guess what chart they're playing based on the photo" game is one that John Fedchock and I used to play a lot. You'd be surprised how many clues there are in most photos (especially when you know the charts! :wacko: ).

Edited by Free For All