Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Into disc four ... the overlong Hairy Bones track is the first one I don't like (not sure about Haino, that's just not my world, I can't say I dislike it) ... I guess the Full Blast (luckily only a third of the duration of the Hairy Bones one, some 7 minutes) will be the other. Don't get that concept of pressure and standstill. That's music that doesn't go anywhere, doesn't develop anything, but nearly explodes (maybe because it can't go anyplace else?). Might work live now and then, but doesn't translate to disc.

But other than that, I'm really enjoying this set, most of the tracks are amazing! The long (50 minutes) groove orgy by Brötzmann, Laswell, Gania and Drake on disc three took me a while to get into, but after twenty or so minutes, it was just plain amazing!

Disc four opens with a great track by Bishop, McPhee, Mars Williams, Jason Adasciewicz, Kent Kessler and Tamaya Honda, then after the Bones there's fine a ten minute piano solo by Masahiko Satoh, and to top things off, you get the Chicago Tentet for the second time: after a great track with John Tchicai on disc one, here Michiyo Yagi on koto is the special guest in what was titled "Concert for Fukushima". Great!

Now looking forward to disc five (Brötz/Revis/Nastheet Waits trio, DKV with Gustafsson, Pupillo, Paal Nilssen-Love, Full Blast, and Caspar Brötzmann Massaker to top things off (there might be another track not too close to my tastes, but we'll see).