Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

All day I've been deeply into

MI0003458344.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Louis Armstrong - The OkeH Columbia & RCA Victor recordings 1925-1933 - Sony Legacy

Which my wife got me for Christmas, but there wasn't time to start listening to yesterday, after the family had gone home.

Zounds! I'm really impressed hard with his OkeH big band sides, which I've never heard before. The band then was completely, insanely abandoned. On Victor and Decca, they'd been tamed. Now just finishing disc 10 (Victor alternative takes).

Lovely stuff!

MG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read (somewhere here, where else) that Vol. 1 didn't sell well enough so the follow-up(s) were shelved. There were to be two more? That much more material? What a missed opportunity! Guess people prefer to buy the seventeenth reissue of some Miles or BN classic before trying Steve White. Maybe they're right, what do I know ...

I also thought that they didn't sell well enough. Just my imagination. And about the three volumes which were planned and at least announced I guess I deduced that of the booklet. But it would have been a lot of material. For me a 3 CD-box is enough, but it's a pity for all the material that could have been reissued. And I think this Harry Babasin-Roy Harte run label only operated for about two years: from 54 to 56.

Edited by Bluesnik