Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I wouldn't say so. There are 24 pages, plus Track credits, which include original release, personnel and recording date and place. The text is mostly about Kerouac himself and speaks of how he loved jazz and admired and enjoyed his bebop contemporaries, but also (surprisingly) their forerunners like Roy Eldridge, Lester Young and Lionel Hampton.

There are no pictures in the booklet. The one I included in my post showed up (I don't know why, maybe beat generation or something like that) when I searched for the cover, and I liked it enough to place it there. The Kerouac readings are about the early history of bop and their musicians, which he frequently mentioned in his novels.

• 2 weeks later...

Disc 3 of the Mosaic Savoy set. 

17 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

41yk4J%2B508L._SX300_.jpg

I just found out Big Bill Broonzy (at an early stage of his career, I suppose) plays on five tracks here.

I had forgotten about this Select, saw it was on Running Low and have just ordered it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Count Basie and His Orchestra – The Complete Clef/Verve Fifties Studio Recordings [(AB) CD 1a - Jan 1952] (Clef / Mosaic)

MI0001866367.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

With Paul Campbell, Wendell Culley, Joe Newman, Charlie Shavers (trumpet) Henry Coker, Benny Powell, Jimmy Wilkins (trombone) Marshall Royal (alto sax, clarinet) Ernie Wilkins (alto, tenor sax) Floyd Johnson, Paul Quinichette (tenor sax) Charlie Fowlkes (baritone sax) Count Basie (piano) Freddie Green (guitar) Jimmy Lewis (bass) Gus Johnson (drums) Nat Pierce, Neal Hefti, Sy Oliver, Harry "Sweets" Edison (arrangers)

Curtis Fuller – Bone & Bari [(B) from The Complete Blue Note / UA Sessions] (Blue Note  – Mosaic)
—  Curtis Fuller - trombone; Tate Houston - baritone saxophone; Sonny Clark - piano; Paul Chambers - bass; Art Taylor - drums; first stereo issue

51qWJ6CioyL.jpg  UCMOS_3166__28675__01152009114523-6261.j

3 hours ago, alankin said:

Curtis Fuller – Bone & Bari [(B) from The Complete Blue Note / UA Sessions] (Blue Note  – Mosaic)
—  Curtis Fuller - trombone; Tate Houston - baritone saxophone; Sonny Clark - piano; Paul Chambers - bass; Art Taylor - drums; first stereo issue

51qWJ6CioyL.jpg  UCMOS_3166__28675__01152009114523-6261.j

:tup  Good record. I like all of Mr. Fuller's Blue Notes.