Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

41Dc4E4pQ2L.jpg

George Lewis - Keeper of the Flame (Storyville). It's mildly miraculous to me that, although none of the musicians on these 1950s recordings were young at the time, I heard three of them in New Orleans - one as late as three years ago. I heard Percy Humphrey and Jeanette Kimball in the 1990s, and 90-year-old Wendell Eugene in 2014. He was the last surviving musician who played on this set; he died last year.

R-4131262-1356322600-8976.jpeg.jpg

Chasing Trane, the documentary, made me revisit this. I must say that I haven't listened to this for quite a few years, and right now the wailin's and meanderin' gets on my nerves in some tracks. The playing concept of his new quartet with Tyner, Steve Davis, and Elvin works beautifully with Coltrane's originals, but less well with standards - these versions of Body And Soul or My Favourite Things never really fascinated me. Tyner's chords get a bit repetitive at times. They still convince me in the more concise performances of originals. But the alternate of Blues For Elvin sounds, to me, as if the are tired from the long recording sessions and need a break.

p.s. I always thought, and new listening confiirms this, that Paul Chambers is not getting the rhythmic structure of the bass line on Naima. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bcd157475a86cf6b63484_720x600.jpg

oop box set from Bear Family with Olatunji's complete Columbia recordings. I'm listening to the ZUNGO album, which has a full jazz band alongside Olatunji's drum troupe - the former includes Nina Simone's soul brother, guitarist Al Schackman. Simone added the title tune to her repertoire.

R-2757897-1352832866-3406.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...