Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

Wow - what label is that on?

The ever-reputable Viper's Nest.  :g  I picked this up used a couple of years ago online for about $50, iirc--probably an overpay, especially since I think nearly all, if not all, of these broadcasts float around on the Internet in free streaming form.  I just have a yen for late-1930s swing-era radio collections.  I particularly like the live BG trio/quartet spotlights, and there are a few tunes that BG never commercially recorded as well.  All six volumes of this particular set were also released individually.

Edited by ghost of miles

Did not know there was a box of those! I just have one (Vol 4}, but it's a gem, for sure. The last thing on there, "I Can't Give Ypou Anything But Love" is simply extrtraterrestial, the band is so relaxed and loose and swinging at the same time, the studio take is nothing like that, and something like that, knowing that people were hearing that kind of thing real time possibly as much - if not more - than the records...we can all be indulged our reality-based skepticism about the whole "King Of Swing" nonsense, but hey, stuff like this, it speaks for itself.

So there's a box, eh?

On 1/31/2019 at 8:55 PM, JSngry said:

Did not know there was a box of those! I just have one (Vol 4}, but it's a gem, for sure. The last thing on there, "I Can't Give Ypou Anything But Love" is simply extrtraterrestial, the band is so relaxed and loose and swinging at the same time, the studio take is nothing like that, and something like that, knowing that people were hearing that kind of thing real time possibly as much - if not more - than the records...we can all be indulged our reality-based skepticism about the whole "King Of Swing" nonsense, but hey, stuff like this, it speaks for itself.

So there's a box, eh?

Did Chick Webb perform at that event? Did Goodman go head to head with Webb’s group at some point? Basie’s group did though didn’t they?

I’ll have to grab this at some point. I’ve seen a few releases from this evening, but I’m always somewhat skeptical of the the sound from this era. Some are pretty clean, considering the technology, yet never sure which releases are the most listenable. I’ve seen bits of this evening, probably on Ken Burns Jazz- so this isn’t a head to head thing, more of a collective collaborative concert I guess.

Ok. Gotcha. We may be. I was thinking the above release was from one evening only. I knew Benny did a series of radio shows for one of the radio networks though. 

With so many overlapping releases of much of the same material, partial or complete, from various labels over the years, the water gets muddied a little. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Is it worth picking up? Have been tempted by that one but it looks a bit forbidding..

I think it's fascinating. Only covers up to about 1959, lots of attention devoted to Ra's very early music/influences/experiments including doo-wop, R&B, relatively little material from well-known albums. Narrative and production by Michael Anderson quite good. Not so much of an Arkestra chronicle but a major documentation of where Ra (musically) came from.

Hard to say if it's worth the money, depends on one's fanaticism. I got it through this forum (when Stefan W. was selling off his collection) at a reasonable price. The "Singles" collection (which I haven't heard) might give a bit of the box's flavor for a lot less $...I see that the Singles set includes some Jochanan material alluded to but pointedly not included in the Transparency box, so it may be of independent interest.

Edited by T.D.

8 hours ago, T.D. said:

I think it's fascinating. Only covers up to about 1958, lots of attention devoted to Ra's very early music/influences/experiments including doo-wop, R&B, relatively little material from well-known albums. Narrative and production by Michael Anderson quite good. Not so much of an Arkestra chronicle but a major documentation of where Ra (musically) came from.

Hard to say if it's worth the money, depends on one's fanaticism. I got it through this forum (when Stefan W. was selling off his collection) at a reasonable price. The "Singles" collection (which I haven't heard) might give a bit of the box's flavor for a lot less $...I see that the Singles set includes some Jochanan material alluded to but pointedly not included in the Transparency box, so it may be of independent interest.

Thanks for that. Yes, I remember Stefan’s sale. I have the Singles set so will ponder..