Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

21 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Great stuff. I’ve been through 4 of the 6 discs twice. The riffs & grooves are terrific. I prefer KV on baritone but he’s come a long way on his tenor. McPhee is a national treasure and he’s superb throughout. Only quibble is Kessler could be slightly higher in the mix.

Bass AND drums could be a bit more forward...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't care less about reviews. I like Shearing, I like Wes and his brothers. Their combination is different from what the brothers did on their own, and different from Shearing's quintet of the time - not the typical block chord unisons, more counterpoint. I find it to be an inspired meeting. Not all jazz has to be shouting. This is light but pleasant, and it swings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 0:03 AM, Brad said:

I find reviews helpful, especially because I'm running out of room, but to each his own. I don't know if you saw this article but I thought it was pretty good. 

Deep Dive: Giving Pianist George Shearing His Proper Due, With a Look Beyond ‘Lullaby’

Brad, thanks for sharing this. Very interesting!

An aside: I wouldn't consider this article a review; I'd be more inclined to call it "scholarly writing about jazz." Lewis Porter knows his stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

R-9317885-1478489706-5615.jpeg.jpg

That Gary McFarland album with Evans is such a gem ....... 

On 11.8.2019 at 6:03 AM, Brad said:

I find reviews helpful, especially because I'm running out of room, but to each his own. I don't know if you saw this article but I thought it was pretty good. 

Deep Dive: Giving Pianist George Shearing His Proper Due, With a Look Beyond ‘Lullaby’

Now that's an article, and a good one, like anything from Lewis Porter I have read. 

And reviews indeed can be helpful - I found out I like many albums that got negative reviews :P

R-9317885-1478489706-5615.jpeg.jpg

Listening to the album with symphony orchestra right now. As it turns out I never listened to the whole box, I bought it for the McFarland album because it was the only issue of that one available at the time and the box was priced incredibly low and thus I got a lot of good music along the way. I like the trio with Larry Bunker (a very underrated drummer!) and Chuck Israels a lot. 

Van Gelder engineered the orchestra album - it sounds like he didn*t have much experience with recording a symphony orchestra. Some amateurish faults, like Grady Tate's drums moving from the left to the right when the orchestra comes in . The trio has the whole stereo spread and is placed up front while the orchestra is more or less limited to the left half on some tracks, on others the trio is back in the room with the orchestra. Oh well .... The muisc is nice, Ogerman did a good job. 

Edited by mikeweil

24 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

...and the other 5 discs?

They are known to get partial boxes here and there, and unsold items from one clearance sale (held at the county fairgrounds) get packed up (likely hurriedly) and sent on down the road to the next clearance sale.  That's why it might've been dislodged somewhere.  However, maybe Disc 1 never made it from the plastic sleeve to the case (which are kept empty on the shelves) when it made it to the clearance pile.  

At any rate, one disc is better than zero, but the full set would be nice.

16 hours ago, Justin V said:

They are known to get partial boxes here and there, and unsold items from one clearance sale (held at the county fairgrounds) get packed up (likely hurriedly) and sent on down the road to the next clearance sale.  That's why it might've been dislodged somewhere.  However, maybe Disc 1 never made it from the plastic sleeve to the case (which are kept empty on the shelves) when it made it to the clearance pile.  

At any rate, one disc is better than zero, but the full set would be nice.

Aha...now I understand:  you have 1 of 7.

image.jpg?c=KuWzM7srp5AtnPbg60S8pByhM-OF

Disc 1: I bought this a few months ago (for $10) and am making my way through it a second time.  This still sounds so modern.  I'm looking forward to hearing the track with Roy Haynes on Disc 2 again.  I need to pick up that Dolphy box one of these days.

Edited by Justin V