Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

5 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Image result for the complete sun singles

Although I've listened very closely to (most of) this music for decades, I, for some reason, have been listening to every Sun single in order and am getting close to the end.  I'm not certain I would recommend this to anyone harboring less than a very deep love for this music, but it is very different from my previous experiences of investigating one artist's output at a time.  

The difference in experience is that with box sets like this you get to experience the music quite a bit more the way it was experienced by listeners BACK THEN. This can be very instructive. If you investigate (any) one's (Sun) artist's output at a time you get a very different set of music because the ratio of tracks not issued at the time is INORDINATELY high (often way more than 50%, and all this was issued for the first time only from the 70s onwards when the first relatively comprehensive avalanche of 50s Sun music was pressed by Charly). Great as a lot this previously unreleased music is, of course the 50s audience never got to hear it, so what we listen to as the "Sun sound" is not quite what it actually was at the time. This colors our perception and appreciation (and as with many jazz artists where every note committed to tape or wax has since been dug up this can be a dangerous thing if the unissueds are underhandedly or unwittingly included when we today figure out what the PUBLIC awareness and appreciation of the artist was back then or - worse still - ought to have been).

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Yes, it is! Unusual that it includes both leader AND sideman dates. Although on BN, no one's really a "sideman." Part of what makes it great, though.

I actually generally prefer Joe Hen BN sideman dates because they push him in different directions than his leader dates, which are fine but more of a piece.  Feel kind of the same way about John McLaughlin, prefer his work with miles to his own.  Joe Hen as a sideman: Idle Moments, Brown Sugar, Point of Departure, Basra, Real McCoy, sidewinder, Song For My Father.

2 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I actually generally prefer Joe Hen BN sideman dates because they push him in different directions than his leader dates, which are fine but more of a piece.  Feel kind of the same way about John McLaughlin, prefer his work with miles to his own.  Joe Hen as a sideman: Idle Moments, Brown Sugar, Point of Departure, Basra, Real McCoy, sidewinder, Song For My Father.

BN has been doing so much reissuing lately, they should think about putting together other packages like this one.