Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

It is still the jazz box set I am grooving to right now, going to play it straight through in one day. It's so consistent that I have no problem moving on to the nest one. Sometimes I want to listen a few times to let the music sink in, because, you know, don't know when/if you're going to here THAT again THAT way. But hell, 7 CDs, keep 'em coming, it's the same thing straight through, in the very best way. Just let 'em play, let 'em flow. You could load the set up in a changer and let it play all day in a Chico's or some place like that, and nobody would notice that it ever repeated, and the few(?) who did, hey, strike up a conversation, right?

One more thing - I got a helluva deal on the box last week from Amazon, around $45. The deal was it was from "Amazon Warehouse", which I guess is the Amazon equivalent of a resuce do. The box had a little damage, and the discs were all housed in generic sleeves, but other than that, I think the packaging is intact, one jumbo poster-sized liner, tow-sided.notes thing. Not complaining!

Also - this box says that it was licensed to sunnyside Communications, so did sunnyside do the American version of this box? I recall that there for a while it was only on Verve France, or something like that. Verve France and Amazon.fr.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20.3.2021 at 2:24 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

Fascinating collection.

Indeed! I am grateful we live in a time (how long will it last?) where we can enjoy such great historical music in such good audio quality. 

I took me a lifetime of lovin jazz to learn to appreciate and enjoy this music. Now I hear how close the 1920's jazz was to ragtime and other styles from earlier decades. It's a shame black artists weren't recorded more often due to racist attitudes. 

Now playing, as ealier today, some from Mosaic's James P. Johnson set, which is just as great:

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

The first one sounds like something I might be very interested in. I love small group swing, and I have a CD of the Complete Capitol Goodman Trios, with Teddy Wilson and also Jimmy Rowles and Mel Powell. This one:

R-8672797-1466341402-7929.jpeg.jpg

And the Carnegie Hall concert is something I also have always wanted to own.

R-2550180-1290009956.jpeg.jpg

R-2550180-1290009964.jpeg.jpg

It's funny, the OG quartet lasted about a year, but made a lot of records, mostly concise and conceptual in the extreme. There was a formula, but...the thing changed when Chico left. Like if Ringo would have left The Beatles. Larry Bunker is great, though, it's not that...but with anything, fresh grows to a peak and thenoften rides a plateau on the mountaintop and then either goes down the other side or freezes itself.

all of which is to say that it was good while it lasted (and that ok, if these were the only records Chet Baker ever made, I would "get it" a LOT more than I do now....but they weren't, so I don't).

and that Chico, like Ringo, was the real flayva for this thing, Chico left this band to take a gig with Lena Horne for crissakes. The Remnants made a record with Annie Ross, which is/was all well and good, but...Lena Horne...extra-music mojocred out the ass for that. Not even Fred Katz gigging with Liberace approaches that one. With Chico in the Quartet, it was a pop band, an instrumental jazz pop band. After Chico, it was a jazz quartet.

Larry Bunker, though, one helluvagood drummer.

I also wonder if Mulligan and Baker had the same dealer and were using the same shit...because the narcotic-ish simpatico on these pre-bust sides is pretty damn in there. Two of a mind, spookily so at times. Corny too, but that was gonna be there, it was hard wired into it, I think. pop music accepts that better than jazz.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

At least that's more polite than the response I got when I suggested a Babs Gonzales set. . .Michael wrote back "Lon you are out of your mind!" 

Which was a pretty good response to a request for a Gonzales set!

Indeed! A nightmare, considering the many 45's Babs released on several self-maintained short lived labels.