Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

R-9521232-1482012025-8361.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Swing-Street/release/9521232

This 1962 4 LP set on Epic is a nice overview of the bands that played on "The Street". I cannot recall where or when I got this set, but the box and inner sleeves bear the stamp of " Peter Russell - The Music Centre" in Plymouth, UK. It is an original US pressing, in perfect condition, with abosolutely no surface noise when played back with a mono cartridge. The remastering is meticulous. They must have used primary sources throughout. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yusef's Mood by Yusef Lateef : Yusef Lateef: Amazon.es: Música

Saw this mentioned here... and played it. It's very nice. I like his pre-world music Eastern and African influences. Because I'm also very fond of Indian and Arab, specifically Moroccan or from the Rif, music. And also very much his flute playing. And in his tenor I can detect a very guitarlike bluesyness, I don't how he gets. And there's lots of Curtis Fuller too. At least on the first part, which is where I'm now. This is a 4 CD compilation of everything he recorded (mostly for Savoy) in 1957. The year of his debut as a leader.

Edited by Bluesnik
Fuller mention added

Ready to spend a few days here:

R-13482644-1578565203-8475.jpeg.jpg

R-13482644-1578565204-2318.jpeg.jpg

Right now, Josh White talking about I'm broke and hongry, ragged and dirty too, and then wanting all them women to take him home with them...OMG talk about setting yourself up for failure in today's world! :g :g:g:g:g

On 5/20/2021 at 8:28 AM, mikeweil said:

R-9521232-1482012025-8361.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Swing-Street/release/9521232

This 1962 4 LP set on Epic is a nice overview of the bands that played on "The Street". I cannot recall where or when I got this set, but the box and inner sleeves bear the stamp of " Peter Russell - The Music Centre" in Plymouth, UK. It is an original US pressing, in perfect condition, with abosolutely no surface noise when played back with a mono cartridge. The remastering is meticulous. They must have used primary sources throughout. 

A man after my own heart! 4 or so decades ago this was my introduction to a number of things that continue to interest me:  Teddy Bunn with The Spirits of Rhythm, Bud Freeman playing The Eel, Wingy Manone and a host of of other wonderful performers and performances.