Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After playing Benny Goodman 'The complete RCA Victor small group recordings' for the second time this week-end I'm baffeled that I didn't remember it better. The only track I don't like is 'Sweet Lorraine' beacause of the brushes as used by Dave Tough. My first tought was that the master was damaged.

Now playing 'Charlie Christian the genius of the electric guitar' Disc 1.

Edited by miles65
typo

On 19.7.2021 at 2:59 AM, jazzbo said:

I don't know. . . the JSP is really good but with some EQ experimentation the RCA sounds amazing to me.

Maybe ..... but since my bedroom system does not have tone controls .....

Edited by mikeweil

R-10253429-1494173615-6870.jpeg.jpg

Been playing through this set this morning. Sound is okay, but one album has been de-noised a bit too much (needle drop?). The three alternates from "Ramblin' with Mose Allison" are missing. Fantasy should have done this themselves. The music is very nice.

The box is oop on the Fresh Sound website, but the German distributor still seems to have some copies.

Edited by mikeweil

13 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

R-10253429-1494173615-6870.jpeg.jpg

Been playing through this set this morning. Sound is okay, but one album has been de-noised a bit too much (needle drop?). The three alternates from "Ramblin' with Mose Allison" are missing. Fantasy should have done this themselves. The music is very nice.

The box is oop on the Fresh Sound website, but the German distributor still seems to have some copies.

There’s a new Mose box set on the way—can’t remember if it’s been discussed elsewhere on the board or not:

Mose Allison: Complete Atlantic and Elektra Recordings 1962-83

(Much better price via Popmarket, btw)

Edited by ghost of miles

52 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

There’s a new Mose box set on the way—can’t remember if it’s been discussed elsewhere on the board or not:

Mose Allison: Complete Atlantic and Elektra Recordings 1962-83

(Much better price via Popmarket, btw)

I had pre-ordered that through JPC - it was due out yesterday - but got an e-mail that it was oop or deleted! Now they offer the Japanese version at twice the charge. It is listed as out of stock at the Cherry Red website (which is the mother label of Strawberry). 

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/mose-allison-the-complete-atlantic-elektra-albums-1962-1983-6cd-box-set/